Low WBC (low white blood cell count)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herbqueen, Feb 10, 2011.

1. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I'm curious how many of you have low WBC--I've been getting my physical for 20 years from the same GP-he just now pointed out my low WBC (he is getting into lyme now)-we looked back at my records and I've consistently had low WBC for along time. He says he sees low WBC in his lyme and AIDS patients. I never get colds or virus's -but have FMS for 13 years -then optic neuritis 5 years ago-now MS type systems- numbness, muscle weakess, jerking, twitching etc- herbal treatments and then a few drugs provoke neurological attacks for me--these are not herx's last attack lasted 9 months-leaving me with further progression of the disease. Curious on the WBC info -if CFS and FMS also have low WBC-
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I have CFS/FMS (for 9 years now), and my white blood count has been elevated. I've read that at first, with CFS, your immune system fights and fights, but after a while, the immune system starts to wear out, and can't fight disease as well...

(Wish I could remember a reference to tell you; my memory is horrible...)

Gentle hugs and prayers!

3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

ditto deborahlynn, my lymphocyte count has always been elevated, my cd4/cd8 ratio dropped once and my doc said my immune system was tiring so he advise immune stimulants like astragalus etc which helped improve my blood count. Also maybe look into immunovir or cycloferon as these all help strengthen your immune system and natural killer cells.
  4. roge

roge Member

i have low wbc at 3.8 (4-12 range) and i have fm and me/cfs. likely dealing a chronic virus and or perhaps autoimmunity. my cd4 cells (type of lymphocyte) of 370 (600-1800) are between one with hiv (around 500) and one with aids (< 200). to date i have not been able to increase my wbc despite taking many supplements to try and raise them.

5. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I had low wbc count approx. 3.5. It is usually around 5 or 6 had dropped significantly in only a 3 month time frame. Fortunately it came up with the help of supplements that support immune function. I used bio-immunozyme forte by biotics reseach at 3 a day. I now use immunotone plus by Innate Response Formulas. Not sure how this compares but I do like it. Presently I am seeing overall improvements from The supplements I use from Innate Response Formulas. They are made from 100% whole foods which I tolerate well. I like and use their Vit. D, B-complex, Hair skin & Nail formula and sometimes their probiotic formula. All work well. I also finally found a vit. C that I can take called Advan C by Neutraceutical Science Institute-purchased from vitacost. Hope this helps.
  6. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

Ive been sick for almost 29 years now. Probably the first 15 years my WBC count was always high. In the last 10 years it has always run low and dipped as low as 2.3 on more than one occasion. The last time it dove, my doctor who is big into Lyme said he only sees this in Lyme, AIDS and bone marrow cancer. My doctor who is big into HHV6 said that the HHV6 virus attacks NK cells.

I have had a lot of MS like symptoms since my WBC started dropping so low. Doesnt really make sense. You would think it would be the opposite. I guess its hard to tell which parts of the immune system are elevated and which parts are low without more extensive immune system testing.

I took some really good mushroom extracts and did some other things for the immune system and was able to bring my WBC's back to the 5.3 range.

I believe that all of these pathogens, even Candida, have a reputation of wearing out the immune system over time. There is a careful balance of stimulating the immune system while modulating it. Also, both my Lyme doc and my virus doctor say they see low white cell counts come back up when you beat back the pathogens.
  7. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

What treatment did you use for lyme and virus's? Did it help/reverse neuro symptoms? Were you able to tolerate treatment. So far treatment for me throws me into a neuro attack (not a herx) each one worse than the last- flagyl/diflucan and herbs really pushed me over the edge a year ago --taken me a year to recover with new lasting symptoms I didn't have (numb all over , weakness, etc)
  8. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Annual physical at work. 1981 till retirement.

3/26/84 4700
    4/4/85 2600
    4/9/85 2600
    4/21/92 2400
    4/28/93 3200 retired 11/1/93
    8/23/07 3100 LabCorp

Hematologists say ratios are ok so don't worry about it. So I don't.
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My white cell count has been low for I don't know how long - at least 15 years, maybe longer. The doctor just says it's nothing to worry about ..... but I get sick every time I crash, and feel like I am fighting some sort of sinus or respiratory bug a majority of the time. I've tried tons of stuff to boost my immune system. My latest foray is colostrum and lactoferrin, will wait and see how this goes.

I have CFS, not FM.

10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

DeborahLynn, I posted a question for you a couple of days ago about the doctor I think you recommended. I believe it's on the second page of messages. Thanks, GB66