Low white blood cell count, help please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RitaF, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RitaF

RitaF Member

hi, my last blood test showed white blood cell count is in the low/normal range. my chiropractor suspects a virus. what do you all know about that as it relates to us.

I will go back to Drs. with more questions. my fms/cfs symptoms have been really bad lately: fatigue, brain fog, depression, sweats.

is there ever success in treating us for this? what works best? thanks a lot, RitaF or rfg958
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've had a low white blood cell count for many years. Doctors basically paid no attention to it. I have read that it can indicate a viral infection but then was told the opposite. As you know, many of us struggle with several viruses, or even XMRV. So it could be due to a virus, or ?

Things that help (or have helped me in the past) with fatigue are:

d-ribose - 1/2 tsp. several times a day (helps produce ATP for cellular energy)
    Magnesium and malic acid
    l-carnitine or acetyl-l-carnitine - 2,000 mg. a day
    Armour thyroid
    adrenal glandular supplement for weak adrenals
    B-12 (hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin)
    NADH - 20 mg. a day

I don't have brain fog but have read that B-12 can help with that (as well as taking a good B complex vitamin).

For depression you might try fish oil or other sources of omega 3 fatty acids - these are very important for mental health as well as overall general health. Also, 5-htp (an amino acid) can help the brain produce serotonin and help boost your mood.

There is no one answer for all of this. You might consider seeing a naturopath. In general they are more knowledgable about nutrition and supplements. They should look carefully at your diet and everything you take, and check your adrenals and thyroid and make recommendations based on that. They should also check your digestion - many of us have had digestive issues which exacerbate everything else. I have to take hydrochloric acid with each meal as well as pancreatic eynzymes. My digestion is much improved.

This whole thing is complicated, there is no easy answer, which is why I recommend seeing a naturopath. Or a good chiropractor who does muscle testing.

You might get more responses if you ask for help with a specific problem - e.g., brain fog. Then people who've had that issue can tell you what helped with that.

Good luck - take care -

3. spacee

spacee Member

You could have the viruses EBV, HHV6 done for starts. They are activated in a lot of CFS
    patients. And a ANA and sed rate for autoimmune could be done too.

Then you would have an idea what is going on. Your doc might have some viruses
    he thinks should be tested too.

EBV is mono and HHV6 is roseola from childhood.

My white count has been seriously low at times for 25 years.

4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

get tested for mycoplasma as these can also be reactivated in cfs. Treatment wise antivirals can help with ebv, hhv6 and cmv and for mycoplasma antibiotics like doxycyline can help. because your immune system appears worn out look into immune stimulants, astragalus is a good herbal treatment, then theres immunovir and cycloferon which can help improve your immune system and specifically natural killer cell function which is also shown to be low in cfs. If sleeping poorly, dont shy away from sleep meds as poor sleep worsens our immune system, but do start off with herbal sleep stuff like valerian and kava. sedating antidepressants in low dose can help improve sleep quality eg amitriptyline and doxepine, everyone reacts differently to them and use intermittently help avoid any side effects like weight gain, and alternate with traditional sleep meds like benzos or zolpidem(ambien) and zopiclone(imovane), melatonin can also be useful.