Lowcost non sedative muscle relaxants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Jul 29, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Are there any lower cost (or aid available) muscle relaxers that you guys know of or take that are can take during the day for some pain relief.

I tried Skelaxin, but it is too expensive without insurance, and there is no aid program available for it at this time.

I do take Soma at night to help my pain and that IS effective for about 2 hours. And the generic is only like $27. Not too bad. But Soma makes me spacey and sleepy

Is there another M.R. that you know of that works, isn't over $100, and you can take during the day?

If they M.R.'s keep not working for daytime use, i'll have to pursue some other extra pain management for the day. It's really been incapasitating lately.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions :)
  2. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Maybe valuim will help It is helping my muscle spasms in neck Ruthie
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

The best thing I can recommend for painful muscles is a balanced magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement.

Balanced is key here though and if you're taking supplemental calcium too, you'll probably have to stop.

I no longer have muscle pain at all since beginning this supplement and if I do it's short term and very easy to deal with.

Nancy B.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

The cheapest way is baking soda. I use an alkalyzing blend from the internet that has sodium bicarb. and a balanced blend of other alkalizing minerals, but some people use AlkaSeltzer or a cheap knockoff brand.

You need to do it on an empty stomache and not eat for about 30 mins because it cuts all stomache acid and you can get bad indigestion, but its oh so soothing. It cuts pain, esp. foot and gout pain for me, and totally relaxes me and gives me a very peaceful feeling and helps me sleep if I take it before bed. What it does it bring down all tissue acidity and much of FM pain is caused from lactic acid in the muscles, and I also suffer from acute gout pain sometimes and no amount of narcotics helps me w/ gout pain in my feet/ankles.

There is nothing cheaper, worth a try. Except maybe a lemon foot bath in hot water, it detoxes and also makes me mellow and so relaxed and relieves pain. I just use a big soup pot. Ok, so its hard to say which ones cheaper, but you'd be amazed at how good they both are.

JEanne
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

a few years ago, and it worked well for me. It is an old drug , and safe.
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

alkelsatlzer...

thank you for the tip

jodie
  7. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will give them a try.

:bump:
    Anyone else have thoughts?