Lower back locks up at night....anyone else??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 17, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I can be sleeping very well and if I move just right my lower back feels like it is just locking up on me. Most of hte time it is just the right sode but once in awhile it will be the left or the worst is when both sides do it at the same time. Usually if I can get myself moved into a different position, it will go away. It always wakes my husband because I can't get our ot that position without practically screaming. Anyone else have anything like this happen.....I have talked about this before and people have mentioned muscle spasms but I am just not sure. What do you think?? Thanks ~hugs~Mick!!
  2. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

3. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Oh poor Mick...

I suffer from the same but I believe I know why I do...

I used to think it was the swelling from UC/Crohn's but my bottom half actually felt like it was locking up...I had an MRI done to rule out ankylosing spondylitis (which my rheumy thought for sure I had due to the pain level and my blood work) but the MRI showed degenerating of the SI joint (sacro-iliac)...

With everything I have going on, I think this has got to be the worst part of it...It's always there when I wake up and it takes me hours to unstiffen, which I never completely do...Main reason for having to close my business (dog grooming salon), I couldn't stand to bathe or groom and sitting felt better UNTIL I locked in that position...

I found some yoga exercises that helped some but they 'knock me out'...Just stretching seems to flare everything else...

I wish I had some words of wisdom to help you, but I don't really...You could try those exercises I mentioned...I googled my problem and was led to them...Hope that helps at least...

Sorry, you have to go through this part as well, I know once heat helped that problem for me, but like everything else, I guess it gets old and no longer helps...

Hope someone else comes along to advise better...

Ya know, it could also be a hip issue in your case...I just recalled I had stiffness in bed when one of my was out of whack...I think that may have been the beginning of where I am at now tho...Shoot, one things leads to another with us anyway it seems...

Feel better Mick!!!
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks so much for your reply....Glad I am not the only one with it but soooooo sorry you go thru this pain to! Feel better soon ...~hugs~Mick!!
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

7. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

but in my mid-back. Mostly on my right side, my computer mouse side. Mine feels light a tightening in a muscle that just keeps getting worse. Or it just locks up all the sudden and then it's excruciating.

What I do is get in a hot shower, yes in the middle of the night, and raise my arm over my head on the hurting side. You can bend your arm at the elbow. Gently stretch with your right arm up, over to the left side.

You can also get your husband to gently rub the area that is spasming and gradually rub harder to release the muscle. This muscle will be very sore even if he didn't push very hard, so ice it if you can the next day.

One thing that has helped me so much is a product called Jointritis. There is a sacylic acid one and one that is just menthol. The menthol one worked wonders for me on muscle pain. There is a roll on so you don't have to get all goopy.

It's pricy, on the top shelf at Walgreens, but worth every penny of the $15.00. It lasted about a year for me and my family joked that my favorite perfume was Eau de Menthol.

I hope this helps you.

Abbycat
  8. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I will give it a try...~hugs~ Mick!!
  9. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Mick,
    My back doesn't lock up in bed, but it does at other times. Let me tell you what I just realized the other day:

I hold my anxiety in my back. I have come to learn, that whenever my back freezes up,sometimes so badly that I have Sciatica, my subconscious is telling me not to do something, or, signalling what it percieves to be a danger.

A few weeks ago I was suppose to have a chemical stress test. I was getting ready for it, when my back came out of place. Then my knee popped out of place. I knew that I wouldn't be able to do the test, and so I cancelled. I found out later, that I had made the correct decision.

Another time, I had to go to a meeting. My back came out so badly that I couldn't stand up straight, or even walk. I forced myself to go, and as soon aas I returned home, the pain disappeared completely!

Now, I try to listen to what my body is telling me. I learned in hypnosis that the function of the subconcious is to keep us alive. With that in mind, it tries to signal us when something is percieved as a danger to us. Ergo, pain.

I hope this helps. It might not be related to your problem, but I hope it helps.

Hugs,
    Terry
  10. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Could be that I have something planned the next day that my body thinks I should avoid. I will keep track of this and see if it has anything to do with it. Thanks again ~hugs~Mick!!
  11. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

My happens at night and at other times in the day...had an MRI that showed nothing. My right hip tends to tilt forward and that throws my back out of whack...

Physical therapy does help and heat, I also try not to sit or stand for too long if possible as that tends to trigger it.

Unfortunately just one of the many "perks" or our darn disease I guess.

At least we know we are not alone in our pain and stiffness.
  12. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

Whats up with the right side of us!! LOL...Everyone gets that hip pain...I get it so bad at night I cant turn over without sitting up and even then I moan and groan....my poor husband I guess all these years he must tune me out!!>>>>> L.
  13. Rigmor

Rigmor New Member

I get the terrible back pain so bad sometimes I actually scream with it. The only thing that helps is to put a hot water bottle on it. My husband sometimes tries to massage it better too, but I think the hot water bottle is best. The causes seem to be either sitting at the computer or in the car or sun lounger, but then again sometimes I'm fine after these things, so who knows? But one thing that has helped me enormously to prevent flare-ups of this kind is working out at the gym. I try to go at least three times a week and do ten minutes on treadmill (walking two minutes then jogging two minutes), ten minutes on cross-country ski machine, ten minutes on bike, ten minutes on rower. I follow this by doing the various resistance machines for about twenty minutes and follow this by stretching exercises on the mat. On the other days I swim thirty lengths. I have built up to this gradually and feel it is only this that is keeping me mobile. When I have finished on the rowing machine I can't walk right away so I usually pretend to be looking for something in my little gym bag to account for my slow, awkward gait in reaching the next set of machines. I'm also on a very careful eating plan and have lost 16 pounds in 8 weeks and hope to lose another 16 pounds over the next 8 weeks. All of this must take some pressure off my poor back. I definitely haven't had any bad flare-ups in my back or hips since I started all of this, but all of the other wonderful little problems that go with fibro are still lurking, so although it's not a cure, it does make life a bit easier and definitely worth giving it a try - you will only feel better.