LOWER BACK PAIN!!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KYRock, Oct 1, 2002.

1. KYRock

KYRock New Member

Yes I'm whining like a baby. My lower back is killing me.
    I went to the doctor he changed pain meds. but they don't seem to be helping. He adjusted my back also. It's been hurting since Sunday morning and no relief. Is it the FM
    or something else? I just needed to tell someone how i feel.
  2. KYRock

KYRock New Member

Yes I'm whining like a baby. My lower back is killing me.
    I went to the doctor he changed pain meds. but they don't seem to be helping. He adjusted my back also. It's been hurting since Sunday morning and no relief. Is it the FM
    or something else? I just needed to tell someone how i feel.
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

the pain is either from herniated discs, which is very common, or it's from degenerative disc disease, which we all have to some degree. Don't lift anything, don't bend over...bend at the knees, always stand/sit up straight, put a nice hotpad on your back, take aspirin to help reduce any swelling and just take it easy. That's all you can do for back pain. Back pain is a slow recovery process....I was layed up all winter with two herniated discs and advanced degenerative disc disease. My back still hurts, but nothing like it did before!

Marilyn :)
  4. chrissy

chrissy New Member

hi kyrock, back pain is miserable, i feel for you. I take DLPA(DL phenylalanine) it is sold in homeopathic pharmacies and it is WONDERFUL. By producing and activating endorphins, it intensifies and prolongs the body's own natural painkilling response to injury. DLPA inhibits certain enzymes in the body from continually destroying endorphins. People who suffer from chronic pain have lower levels of endorphin activity in their blood and cerebrospinal fluid. Pain relief is more effective than valium and can be taken with any drug or med . (excerpt from EARL MINDELL'S Vitamin Bible for the 21st century.
    Hope it helps, good luck!
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I had an MRI done to check out spinnal problems and none that would cause this much pain. I have found that betwwen the Chiro and warm water hydrotheropy Suspended type has helped me greatly. I also get steroid shots and take Soma.
    Every one is different but, I would have an MRI. I also have found a heating pad to help if it is spasums. The advice given above is important. Don't lift and twist either stay streight and everyone should only bend at the knees, use your legs, it's like doing a squat.

Good luck and hope you are able to get some relief soon, Kim
  6. JP

JP New Member

I think that it is best to know what you are dealing with regarding your back. I have found that the MRI is one of the best tools for discovery. I have an amazing back with multiple bad levels, birth defects and more. I bend over at the waist, among other stretches, several times a day for relief. Once I had all my pictures and tests I discovered why the "not recommended bend" was giving me some relief. I have severe spinal stenosis in multiple locations, and in my case the forward bend would stretch my body in such a way that it would give my nerves and cord a little more room, hence, pain relief.

So, listen to your body and try to stay away from things that cause more pain. Pay attention to what helps and hurts. After many years of severe back pain, I am pretty good at knowing what I need (water, heat, ice, stretch). I also have decent results with pain management. I started pain management about two years ago. I was becoming less and less functional due to fighting a chronic pain condition. I have always been a stoic individual and I was able to fight and function. I had no idea what that the chronic pain condition was causing more and more harm to my body.

So, long story short, meet with an orthopedic who specializes in backs and request an MRI.

Hope you get some relief.

Take care,
    Jan
  7. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

8. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

The reason I take narcotic pain medication is due to my spinal stenosis w/nerve entrapment and/or disk degeneration but mostly the nerve entrapment.

Think of the collagen "thickening" in a given space and Wa'Laa nerve entrapment! Like my neuro said, your spine is healthy, your 'nerves' are healthy, it is the collagen and/or arthritis that is the problem.

Talking about back pain, for the last two mornings my lower back pain, sharp acute pain, caused me to wake up and it took forever for me to "move" enough to get upright so I could sit and then get up and take a pain pill! Surely hope this passes! Good luck. Lil'
  9. sean

sean New Member

Yes, lower back pain/sciatica, can be a symptom of fibromyalgia, I had it for quite sometime. If this is the case, and you can manage to do some simply abdominal crunches on a regular basis, this will greatly relieve the symptoms, but if this is to painful you need to see the doc .