LOWER RIB PAIN......PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Jul 17, 2006.

1. tes

tes New Member

Hi again everyone. I have been in a horrible flare for about 2 weeks now. I'm not sure if it is because of the rain and humid weather we have been having. My IBS has been unbearable and now my lower ribs are in so much pain.

Just wondering if anyone has lower rib pain..the ribs below the breast area. I have had this on and off for about 4 years now and many, many tests have been done....all normal. Can you get costochondritis in the lower ribs as well? I used to have the rib pain in my upper chest when I first got FM 12 years ago. It's hard for me to move, vaccuum etc. And I am taking no pain meds....ouch!! Hope to hear back from someone. It feels like someone beat me up in that area. Pressure, burning, soreness etc.

Thanks,

Tes
  2. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

i had it really bad 2wks ago had been coughing from a virus and it just did a no on my ribs.nothing helped then I got in the hot tub and it eased up maybe a nice warm bath would help. hope so for you.

sixtyslady
  3. TAM

TAM New Member

HI Tes,

Your not alone sweetie, i have rib pain alot, last night i had it so bad i wanted to scream.

I'm very sorry your having rib pain i sure hope it gives you a break soon and stops hurting, take care. Tammy
  4. Line

Line New Member

Boy do I get rib pain, in under the breasts, throught the breasts, the sides, back and upper chest, pick any rib and it hurts. Right now I am I a terrible flare with pain above the breasts both sides. I call this my bra strap pain. It is 97 degrees here and I am sitting with a cervical hot pack on that comes around and covers my collar bone.

If your pain is only on the left side it could be gas from the IBS because your colon lays under the ribs on the left along with your stomach. I get the low rib pain so bad I feel like someone has me in a bear hug. I have costo and fibro.

Nancy, excellant post, thanks so much for posting this info.

Gentle hugs, Linda
  5. tes

tes New Member

Thank you for all your kind wishes and support. It is such a common symptom among FM patients. I had it in my chest for many many years on and off. The last little while it has hit me REALLY bad in the lower ribs...where the liver, pancreas etc is. It gets so bad that it feels like someone has beaten the daylights out of me.

For you guys who have it in the lower ribs, does it ever hurt along you waistline really bad at the same time. I am assuming there are alot of muscles along the waistline. Sometimes I'm not sure if it is my IBS or costo. Hope to hear back from some more people. This place gives me hope and reassurance. Has anyone tried and specific meds for this? What helps best?

Hugs to you all,

Tes
  6. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

Best thing about this board,,We are not alone!!

I to have this rib pain.mine is almost always under the left breast and up into the breast. Rib hurts like heck to set, lay..and heaven forbid do not press on it!!

Does anyone have swelling with this? I have what I have affectionatly named my third boob..right under my left breast that swells up most of the time these days worse when pain is really bad.

Glad you started this post..I too had been wondering what in the world is going on with this pain for quite awhile now!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2006]
  7. tes

tes New Member

Hope to hear back from more people with the lower rib pain. Thanks to all who have shared info with me. Tes
  8. vickynjc

vickynjc New Member

Hi to All.
    I am just starting my bout with fibromyalgia. According to what I am reading in here I have had this for some time now. I have a spinal injury and am taking epidurals for. My fm is flaring now also. I hurt on my right side by the liver all the time. I get sharp pains like being stabbed. I am on percercet now and am thinking about the patches. I am so upset about all this I hurt all day long get up feeling like a truck has hit me my head hurts all day. How to cope is my propbelm right now!!! I cry alot. I have a long rode to ride here I can see that. I also have much more to go through. I dont know how you do it. This is really getting to me already. This is my second flairup!!

Thank You
    Vicky
  9. tes

tes New Member

Can anyone else help out...please. Thanks. Gentle hugs. Tes.
  10. juju22

juju22 New Member

I find that klonopin helps alot with this rib pain, now maybe its just me...but that with my pain killer helps alot..

juju
  11. Line

Line New Member

Thanks for all this info on costo, I have it and when I was first dxed I did a search on the net and came up with nothing but rib pain. I appreciate you time.

Linda
  12. jole

jole Member

I get it more where you describe, and have been diagnosed with it also. It doesn't quite describe what is in the article though, as that sounds as it should be higher.

Mine is actually UNDER the ribs on the left side most of the time. It is in the spleen area, which is why I went to the doctor. But sometimes it is more to the center and up higher, so I'm sure the diagnosis is right.

It is just above the waist, and bending,sitting, or twisting can cause a lot of pain, almost feeling like something is catching under (behind) the ribs. I do sit for nearly 8 hours straight with my job, and try to keep good posture, but think that plays a big part in it for me.

Sorry to hear you have this too. It HURTS! All lI know to tell you is to take Ibuprofen q.i.d. for the inflammation, and it should help some in a week or so.

[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  13. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

This may be a little off base, but do you have your gall bladder still? I have heard that gall bladder problems cause pain in your lower ribs, or around there. It is on one side, not sure which one though.

I just thought id throw that out there just in case.

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  14. tes

tes New Member

I had an ultrasound of the gallbladder and a HIDA scan which is a more infinitive test on the gallbladder and all came back absolutely normal. This was about 2 and a half years ago. I have had this pain on and off(more on) for 4 years. My doctor has never diagnosed me with costo, however, maybe I should mention it to her. I have also had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, pelvic tests and much more. No answer. I guess fibro pain can get so bad at times and no medical findings to support it. Thanks for all your kind wishes. Hopefully it will pass soon.

Gentle hugs,

Tes