Lowering your Lexapro dosage

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by emmyjane, Sep 8, 2003.

1. emmyjane

emmyjane New Member

I have been on 10 mgs of Lexapro for 9 months and I've had great results. I've found lately that I've been kind of sluggish and not very motivated (kind of like I was on Paxil). I've lowered my dosage to 5 mgs to see if that works. I have a friend who is much heavier than I am and she only takes 10 mgs and she's had a more severe depression than mine; she seems to be doing fine. Has anyone else tried lower than 10 mgs.? What's been your experience? Thanks.
  2. opalgem

opalgem New Member

3. psmh1

psmh1 New Member

I too am on Lexapro 10mg. and noticed that I was going flat. By going "flat" I mean I wasn't depressed, but I still didn't feel like doing anything, CERTAINLY have no sex drive, and was almost crabby. I did check with my doc and she said that I could cut my dose to 10mg every other day, then 5mg the other days, and that does seem to help, although I would like to only take 5mg daily.

I was on Zoloft for about 10 years, and I guess the doc thought I was on that long enough. That was my favorite.

So check with your doc and see if it's ok to cut back, they will usually ok it by phone, but you want them to know what you are doing, just in case!