LTD again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Malcolm82, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

I was just wondering if anyone out there that has CFIDS has gotten benefits from LTD for over the 2 year period that they seem to want to cut you off at.

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

but my LTD only Dx me for Depression. I was able to get them to change it to FMS, but for some reason, they won't acknowledge the CFS but that's just as well in my case.

The LTD will not drop you after 2 years unless they have you Dx with a mental problem. I've been receiving benefits now since 2000.

[This Message was Edited on 08/29/2008]
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Go for disability with the problems you can prove which are under the umbrella of FM or CFS, such as hypothyroidism, a sleep disorder proven by a sleep lab, pain verified by someone as regional myofascial pain disorder (triggers), other things which are low and haven't responded, and they cannot dispute because you have some fancy test which verifies it.

On the muscle pain, and myofascial thing, a PET scan can prove it. It pains a lovely picture of the metabolism in muscles, etc., and cannot be faked, so if you can talk your doctor into doing one, they can pinpoint areas where the metabolism indicates pain, myofascial disorders, joint disorders, and other things. FANCY TESTS LIKE THAT WITH FANCY DIAGNOSIS DRIVES THE DISABILITY COMPANIES BANANAS BECAUSE THEY CANNOT QUESTION THE FINDINGS.
  4. Sunspot

Sunspot New Member

I don't know if it's the same for you, but for me up until two years I had to prove I couldn't work at my job, and after that I had to prove I couldn't work at any job. That was just a longer form, and it was certainly true so they didn't bother me.

I think I've had it for about 3 years for CFS. They didn't bother me much all that time, other than the routine twice-yearly claimant and doctor's reports. Then I made the mistake of traveling to another country for 2 months last winter.

I first asked my case manager whether it was okay to go, and she said yes. (She even said I could live in another country as long as I could keep proving that I was unable to work.) Anyway, several months after I got back they sent me a letter cutting me off, saying I was obviously better because I traveled to another country and was doing a little bit of volunteer work (which I've been doing all along, and had qualified by saying I did it when I was able).

My doctor and I have both sent letters disputing their assumptions. I haven't heard their response yet, but if they go ahead and cut me off I will appeal. They are blatantly ignoring everything that doesn't jive with what they want to believe so they can cut me off...

I've been reading more about LTD and it does seem they're in the business of cutting people off if they can get away with it. Some people will just give up because they can't handle the stress of fighting for the money, if they have another source of income like a spouse who is working. And some probably don't have the strength to fight... So the companies save many thousands of dollars. For them, what's not to like?

There is some LTD information on the 'Disability' link on the top bar above that's worth reading.

My advice: Don't stress about being cut off at 2 years. Many people stay on for years without being hassled.

If you do something that they might grab onto as a reason to cut you off, like travel to another country, document it as much as you can. Luckily I was able to prove that I stayed in one place the entire time, and was not traveling around sightseeing like they probably assumed.

But you can also keep a detailed log of your daily symptoms and activity level, showing how the trip or whatever affected you. This is a good thing to have any time you're fighting an insurance company. (It's also a good tool for managing your health and figuring out your limits, etc.) One friend sends in a week's worth of daily logs with every claimant report.
  5. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I have the same question. I currenlty have applied for SSD but can't get an answer from my case worker at Disability RMS regarding LTD benefits going beyond the 2 year max for depression. I also have FM, which has been documented by my Rheumatology and my psychologist. The only answer I get is it is under review. Has anyone had to deal with Disability RMS?
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

7. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

I am going through this. I'm at the end of my STD and sent in the paperwork for LTD. They really don't tell you if you will be approved until you get "The Letter". I have been on STD for 6 months now and it should switch to LTD (crossing my fingers). So far, My insurance has done everything other than getting the info from my doctors. They send me the forms and I submit to my HMO. I hope it continues. My primary has filled out the forms and has me diagnosed as FM & Cervical Radicuitis, though I also have sleep apnea.

I wish everyone luck on getting their disability.

8. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

They NEVER return my calls! Somehow, though, I always get a letter addressing my issue, but they have never returned my calls.

The latest is they are now forcing me to apply for SSDI through Allsup (that's lucky, I think). They are not giving me a choice. The good part is that they will pay Allsup's fees if my application is approved. My doctor and I had to fill out a bunch more forms that I believe will be used for my SSDI application. I had to choose to let them either adjust the benefit amount they pay me by the estimated amount my SSDI benefits would be, or have them continue my full benefits, with the binding agreement that, when my SSDI claim is approved and I receive the back benefits, that I will basically pay all that to RMS since my RMS benefits are more than my SSDI benefits would be, and my total benefits from both cannot exceed the amount I am getting from RMS alone, except for the SSDI cost of living adjustments. Those are the only two choices they gave me and I had to agree to one of them. That is why I say they are forcing me to apply for SSDI.

I guess they are really making me do what I had planned anyway, and with Allsup, who I had already contacted.

It just burns me that they can't return a simple phone call.

If you have an experience anything like mine, you won't here anything from them if you call to ask about your LTD claim status until you get your first check, or a denial letter. I must have called at least 6 times and left messages to find out the status of my claim and never received a call back.
  9. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

I forgot to mention that my LTD policy and the info I have received from Disability RMS clearly states that 2 years is the maximum for benefits for disability relating to depression. My actual insurance company is Security Mutual Life and Disability RMS is just their claims administrator, but probably all LTD policies are like that.
  10. Engel

Engel New Member

I hear ya hun! I am pushing the 2 year mark with LTD and I am in the appeal processs with SSDI. My 2 yr LTD will be Feb. 09.