LTD and servailance what do I need to know???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildflowers2, Apr 14, 2006.

1. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I put my appeal in 2 weeks ago to LTD. When do they start
    the none scence of having me followed?

and how many others did this happen too and what did you do>??
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Right now I know this cause I saw one taking pictures.

They did not start until I filed a civil suit against them .................Thats normally when they start.

My attorney told me that the pictures or videos don't do to well cause we are entitled to go out and we do have a good day............They also alter the videos and take out the parts were your having a hard time.

Never sign off on the appeal till your sure you have gotten every thing you possibly can into them.Its up to you when it will end.

Request a copy of the file that they have so far and tell them you want a copy of all the info they obtain from now on.

Remember they do not want to pay and they will try every way they can not to.

Sue
  3. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Hi wildflowers. So far I haven't noticed this happening to me. I say let them do what they want. If you have a good lawyer most pictures and videos will be discarded due to the fact that they can be altered.

What you would need to think about is eye wittiness testimony. Although that can be made up also it carries a lot of weight depending on the reliability of the witness.

If they come onto your property or you catch them looking into windows report them to your lawyer and the local police dept. The 3 things that come to mind for the above are trespassing,peeping tom and invasion of privacy.

Also if they keep following you and are in close proximity and call you constantly you can file harassment charges against them as well.

Also carry a digital camera with and take pictures of the guy taking pictures of you and make sure the time and date stamp is turned on. This way you can prove harassment against them. It will make them wander what you are up to.

How are you doing? I just got yesterday and every thing is fine. I did sleep most of yesterday when I returned because of the travel time and not being able to take any meds until I got home.

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
  4. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Tape recording a conversation without the person's knowledge is illegal in PA. So they must inform you when they do this.

I have run into problems with this already with companies that have said that I ordered something when I didn't. They say they have it all on tape and I say you do and inform them that if it is on tape they need to tell you so before they start taping it, and also when they tell you this say it right back to them and record the convo on your answering machine and see how much talking they do when they know you are taping them also.

Jake
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

First of all, do watch what you say over the phone. One can misunderstand or miscontrue.

Just tell them that they must put everything in writing that they want answered.

My LTD company always called very early in the morning or late on Fridays, when I wasn't really ready so I would tell them to call back and finally, told them in writing only.

As for the surveillance, they will and can do it. They cannot take pictures or things while you are in your home. Outside it, everything but the bathroom is ok.

Just remember that you may do something one in a month for a little while and then have to rest for two or three days to get over it, and they can and will use that tape against you.

Never, ever let someone from them into your home. Do this only if it is set up and for a specific time, and then have an observer with you.

I don't know what state you are in, but I live in Texas and it is permissable for the person in Texas to record a conversation without the other person's approval. I presumed that they were recording ours, since they had this disclaimer, and I recorded all theirs, including one where the individual told me I should have LIED ON MY FORM FOR RELICENSURE IN MY MEDICAL FIELD.

They just about fainted when I TOLD THEM I HAD A RECORDING OF IT.

Just pace yourself, and KEEP A JOURNAL. If they follow you around one day and you have to do things beyond what you normally do that day, KNOW WHY, AND KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES, IN RESPECT TO HAVING TO TAKE MEDICATION TO DO IT, IT PUTTING YOU HOMEBOUND FOR THREE DAYS, AND ETC.

I have had days where I simply had to see two or three doctors in one day, and was so tired when I arrived home that I couldn't eat and it took me days to recover.

Once it is in a journal, you can explain your activity.

They can misunderstand things like carrying in groceries. They say you were carrying in HEAVY GROCERY BAGS. Heh, they had bread in them.

I have difficulty with carrying anything, so I have this little folding cart, and I have the refrigerated things put in bags alone and then I put the refrigerated things in it and bring only those in. The rest can wait or my husband brings them in. No one can misconstrue that.

Just be aware of the fact that they will record things and misrepresent things, and edit things to put you in the worst possible light.
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I wanna know too....what is "ltd"?
  7. jakeg

jakeg New Member

LTD stands for Long Term Disability from an employer or insurance company that you may have a policy with.

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

when I first applied for LTD. I was very careful not to do anything that I said I couldn't do in my application, eg. I said that I could not be away from home for more than an hour doing errands. I made darn sure that I was home well before an hour was up.

I said I couldn't carry heavy loads so I didn't. All in all, it just helps if you have told the truth in your application. Then it is not a problem if they follow you and take pictures. They will just see you doing what you said you could do.

It is nerve-wracking but you shouldn't worry about it.

Pepper
  9. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I sued my LTd and an insurance company of the car that hit me. I was suing both at the same time. both Insurance companies had me under surviellance. Its started as soon as I had a lawyer and the papers were served. I was under surviellance for almost 2 years. The best advice I can give is never forget they are watching . When they interview you NEVER say " I cant lift anything over X number of pounds" or " I never lift groceries" rather say I try not to lift anything heavy as it causes me discomfort. That way if you are caught on surviellance carrying a grocery bag they cant say you said " I NEVER do that" That is considered a lie . If you say I try not then your not lying. That is very very important. So dont ever use the word NEVER or CAnt. They will catch you up on that. My lawyer gave me that advise. I was not caught doing anything unreasonable on tape. I was smart too. I didnt go out and mow the lawn or shovel snow. I paid someone to do it. When my law suit was over I did mow the lawn when I was having a good day but on a bad day I paid someone. I didnt take any chance like that though when I was juggling two law suits. So just be smart and dont think for a minute your not being watched. Once you sign on the line and law suit is over then you can relax. Its worth the fight though so dont give up. they use all kinds of scare tactics but dont give up. good luck
    poodlemum
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

Avoid the use of "never' and "always" if you can. And always remember that they could be there.

Never give up. They count on us giving up because we are too sick to fight. Don't let them get the better of you.

Pepper
  11. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

they got him on video doing things that anyone could do, like walking to the car and unlocking it. checking the mail. carrying some bags of groceries in the house. he was filing b/c of seizures. well they said that my brother would have to pay back all the money they had paid him. my sister-in-law started video taping every time he had a seizure and mailed that to them. they overturned their decision.