LTD/SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin21, Dec 17, 2002.

1. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if I receive LTD insurance benefits from my employer will it affect applying for SSDI?
    Also, I have my interview after the first of the year; After reading many posts can anyone give me advice? I thought this was going to be easy? My Dr. told me to go up and apply for SSD. I just thought it would be based on my medical records.

Lin
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

When I began receiving full LTD benefits I was required by the LTD company to aply for SSDI. It will not affect your SSDI, however SSDI may affect the amount you receive for LTD.

I found filling out the paperrwork for SSDI anything but easy!

Barbara
  3. lin21

lin21 New Member

Thanks so much for your information.
    It's a long story but I had knee surgery in Sept. and after a few weeks we knew something more was wrong. I went to a neruologist and he sent me to the rheumie who told me to apply for SSI. But when I surpassed my 65th of STD , I had to apply for LTD and the secretary in the orthopedic office gave me a hard time and messed up my claim now I have to appeal my LTD. I hope they don't give me a hard time as I just found out my STD is gone in less than 4 weeks.
    Thanks again.
    Lin
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Lin, welcome to the board. Just stopped to welcome you, have no experience with your question.

Again, welcome and hope you post often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. rlh1961

rlh1961 New Member

Hi Lin,
    My company sent me paperwork for LTD after I used all of my short-term disability. Metlife handles our LTD. They also required me to apply for SSDI before they would begin reviewing me. I've had a telephone interview with Metlife, and have been on unpaid leave since Oct.16th. Metlife won't make a decision on my LTD until my neurologist has completed his tests which will be in the next week. I've sent in all the necessary paperwork for SSDI, and as of yet haven't heard from them. I also have an intake interview with an attorney on January 9th...he only handles people with FM and has a lot of experience in this area. I'm not sure exactly how the LTD/SSDI works, but Metlife made me sign a paper stating that IF they approved me for LTD, and later IF I received SSDI, I would be required to pay them back approximately 1/2 of what they paid out to me. I hope this helps some. I honestly don't know much more than that-I'm learning, too!!! Good luck to you.
    Hugs,
    Robbi
  6. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi Robbi--

Wow, we are going through the same thing at the same time.
    I have been out of work since July. In September I had surgery I my knee (torn cartilidge) where these Dr.'s thought all the pain was coming from. As of 10/22 I was eligible for LTD but the secretary in the ortho's office was really giving me a hard time and sent in false information to Prudential. Now my rheumie has to appeal this. I hope I don't have any trouble since as of yesterday I am now unemployed. My employer kept extending my unpaid leave until they couldn't do it anymore. I have an interview for SSDI on 1/7. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck and keep in touch!
    Lin