Lumbar fusion anyone? (low back surgery)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, May 22, 2008.

1. I had this done 2 months ago and am in worse pain than before. I am regretting it big time. Has anyone had this lumbar fusion and have more pain after? I have rods and screws from the waist down to the bottom of the spine. I am praying it gets better as time goes on. PT is killing me, I think the fibro makes it worse. Maybe it takes longer to heal? I go to the surgeon in about three wks for a followup.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2008]
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

What is lumbar fusion?
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Many times this is completely unnecessary with the right, long term, physical therapy.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2008]
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I had a L-5 S-1 fusion in January. I had an m.r.i. done three weeks ago because I have had horrendous pain in my tailbone area since the surgery. I also have widespread pain in my lower back. It always feels bruised. The surgeon said it was due to a considerable amount of arthritis that I had there due to surgery 14 years ago in the same disc. It was herniated and I had immediate relief and it took this long to finally disintegrate.

The reason he thinks I am having pain now in my tailbone is that there are also very small disc in the tailbone and sometimes with a lower fusion is done it will alter the lower disc's in the tailbone. No idea what they are going to do about it if this is the case. I see him again next friday.

I had to wear a corset for three months and he did not order p.t. Are you wearing a corset? I think that helps. P
  5. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

I did not have a fusion but 2 months ago I had a laminectomy done. Basically it is where they drill to make openings for your nerves. I am SO SORRY that I had this done!!!! Granted we are only a couple months out of surgery, but I am in worse shape now. PT isn't too bad but I ended up with "drop foot". I have to wear a splint on my foot constantly and the pain in both hips and back is horrible. I had a fusion done in my neck 8 years ago and did not have this much pain. Good luck dear! I hope it gets better for you!!
  6. poets

poets Member

I'm so sorry about your fusion. I've had two lumbar fusions. One on L-1 and another on L-5 S-1. I had a tremendous amount of pain with the one on L-5 for quite a while afterward. They also did a laminectomy. After the surgery I hurt pretty bad for a few months. Finally the pain let up. I didn't have much pain in my back at all. It did pretty well for about ten years or so. Then arthritis set in. But I really did feel better for a few years.

I'd had sciatica down both legs, and couldn't lift my legs up to get in the car. So I think that you'll probably feel better in time. My heart goes out to anyone who endures a spinal fusion. Sure hope you feel better soon.

Love,
    Meg
  7. thanks everyone, especially Meg for something to hang onto. I will continue hoping, praying and doing the PT. Did you do pool therapy or reg. PT?
  8. poets

poets Member

I did regular therapy. It helped to loosen me up a bit.
  9. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I had scoliosis bad when a teen, so I had a fusion done from base of my neck to L2. I'm 48 now. Everything above and below the fusion hurts and is worn out, due to the fact these vertebrae have to take the brunt of movement for the rest of my fused spine. Also, this is thought to be a major factor of why I have fibro now. The key to my success at living comfortably is a sympathetic doctor who gives me Vicodin and Lyrica, and I keep busy and active. Thinking about my pain makes me hurt!!!! Good luck to you all!
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am so sorry that you are still having so much pain. I had a cervical fusion done twice, a plate put in the 2nd time but no lumbar fusion. I do have lumbar problems; something called arthritic facet joint syndrome. I see a pain management dr. for this. I have never had any intentions for surgery.

I really feel so bad that you went through the surgery and still having pain, however, when I had the cervical fusion (neck), I didn't think I would ever get past it but I did. I still have pain and soreness from the trapezius muscle and probably always will.

Take care of yourself,

BlueSky
  11. I did have to wear a back brace for over a month, then stop to let my own muscles strengthen and work for themselves.

I did have a laminectomy before this and it so helped for two yrs then PAIN. My rheum. dr. did increase my lyrica and it is helping take the edge off.

thanks everyone for answering.
  12. mujuer....yes I did have to wear a back brace for over a month, then stop to I did have to wear a back brace for over a month, then stop to let my own muscles strengthen and work for themselves. I also had a cage put in right above my tailbone to brace the spine. Did they do that with you?

I did have a laminectomy before this and it so helped for two yrs then PAIN. My rheum. dr. did increase my lyrica and it is helping take the edge off.

thanks everyone for answering, there is NOTHING worse than severe back pain.
  13. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Yes, I have a cage in. I just had my follow-up on my m.r.i. and he said it is all arthritis that is hurting. He said I had extra vertabrae in my tailbone and he saw a fracture that occured years ago is also full of arthritis. I am in more pain now then before the surgery and told him so. He just looked at me and said to make my next appt. for my six month check-up. I guess the fibro just intensifies the pain. Sorry you are feeling bad also. P