Lumbar Puncture, then Muscle Spasm In Neck??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosesark, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Rosesark

Rosesark New Member

Hi everybody. I had the lumbar puncture monday afternoon. Piece of cake. Just had a little pressure across my forehead and the base of my skull the next day. Also off balance a lot for most of the morning. Then third day-----woke up with the worse pain i have ever had in the base of my skull and into my neck. Could not move head very well at all, hurt to sit, to stand, felt like my neck was broken. Went to the emergency room, they gave me a shot of Toradol an antiflammatory and something else, said i must have gotten a muscle spasm in my neck. Sent me home to take 8oomg of Skelaxin 3 times a day. I know people here have talked about muscle spasms before, has anyone had anything like this? Rose
  2. evileva

evileva New Member

Yes I have had those too, they definitly are not fun. I'm glad that your lumbar went well. I had one of those too and the doctor did a great job with mine. Are the Skelaxin helping you? I take 500mg of that for my spasms and it doesn't seem to help me much.
    Eva
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have never had that done, but I do get some horrific muscle spasms.

They have been mostly gone since I started taking magnesium. I had two in the last year. Thats a record for me.

HOpe you get some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Rose,
    What is a lumbar puncture? I have not heard of that yet.

I don't think you are talking about the same thing that I had done 2 weeks ago, which was called an LESI - a Lumbar Epidural Spinal Injection - which was an epidural (like they give you when you have a baby) injection in my low spine of steroids and numbing medicine. This was to relieve pain caused by degenerating disks in my back that were causing so much pain that I could not stand up nor walk.

I don't think it's the same thing since it didn't cause neck spasms for me.

Let me know, please. Thanks, Janet
  5. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

I can answer that question for you, No, it is not the same as what you had. A lumbar puncture, also called a spinal tap, is where they insert a long needle into your spine, between vertebrae, and remove spinal fluid (which is said to sometimes be as thick as molasses). Normally this is done to confirm/rule out a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. Afterwards, they recommend you try to stay flat on your back as much as possible, for about three days. MS'ers will also tell you to load up on caffeine, and if you have any pain med, even Ibuprofren, motrin, whatever, take it, even if you don't feel pain right away, the majority of people get what they call the spinal tap headache from HELL.
    I am concerned, Rose, if you do not mind me prying, are they checking you for MS, or do you have MS? Spinal taps are not just a routine procedure like bloodwork.
    My neuro is monitoring me for MS, and I have a positive MRI (brain lesion(s)) and I still keep putting off the spinal tap, and we have done every other test (EEG,ENG, MRI'S, TONS of bloodwork, etc.) He wanted me to call him when my next flare up hit, which was right after the holidays, to have a spinal tap, but, ............well, I didn't do it.
    I just felt too horrible, the last thing I wanted on TOP of a flare, was a doggone headache from hell, which I am prone to anyways.
    Oh, also, just some extra info, for anyone wondering. Sometimes your puncture site will leak spinal fluid, and then you can go back to your neuro, or hospital, and they will take blood out of your arm, usually the wrist, and do what is called a blood patch, they put the blood from your wrist into the puncture site, and it stops the leak. Some neuro's do the blood patch right after the lumbar puncture, some do not, because they are not always needed.

Medic