Lump in throat feeling.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by matthewson, Nov 6, 2006.

1. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I wanted to make this a separate post because I feel it is important and is frequently missed by Drs.

There is a syndrome called Globus syndrome, and it is a constriction or tightening of the crichopharangeal muscle in the throat. It can cause you to feel like you are having trouble swallowing and if it is really bad, your muscles in your throat actually hurt alot! It is caused by anxiety and I feel that it is fairly common in people with FMS, because our muscles are already tense in the rest of our body, the muscles in our throats can constrict also.

I suffered with this for weeks before a sharp ENT finally gave me a prescription for xanax and it totally relaxed that muscle and I felt like I could breathe and eat again, after suffering for weeks with it. It took a good 6 months to finally go away on it's own. It flairs up from time to time, but at least I know what it is now and if I relax and up my magnesium intake, it goes away.

I see a lot of posts from time to time from people with trouble swallowing and breathing and lumps in throats and such, and I wanted to get this out so people may be able to look into this and get some help it this is the problem.

A lot of people suffer from this and there are even message boards about it. If you look into "Lump in Throat" in Yahoo message boards you will find a whole message board about this.

I hope this helps someone get the necessary help for this. It can be quite painful and debilitating! I couldn't eat anything for 3 weeks except for drinking Ensure, when I had it really bad!

Take care, Sally
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

3. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Sally,

I was really glad to find this post. I've had two endoscopys and seen an ENT guy to no avail. This sensation is just the worst because it makes me fear that I won't be able to breathe. No one has mentioned globus syndrome, but I plan to check it out.

Thanks again for sharing. Perhaps I can now get on the right path!

Yours, Lil
  4. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Thanks Sally, I too, will check this out as it sounds much like my problem. I can't take xanax but I have a lot of anxiety as most of us do but things going wrong right now. So maybe relaxation is answer. Thanks, Penny
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

If I can save anyone the grief that I went through before a really smart ENT diagnosed me, I will be happy! Before I realized what it was, I was diagnosed with asthma and put on steroid inhalers and albuterol rescue inhaler, and I NEVER HAD ASTHMA! It was totally due to anxiety that I felt like I was having trouble breathing!

I don't think most Dr's are aware of this syndrome. It actually is quite common, but they tend to look for other things like asthma, or do extensive swallowing studies, when the problem is simply due to a spasm of the crichopharyngeal muscle in the throat, caused by anxiety.

I'll bump this up one more time so others can see it.

Take care, Sally
  6. basilrathbone

basilrathbone New Member

That was my first symptom of being ill when all this set in 16 months ago. My throat and neck have hurt most of the time since then. I wonder if it can cause laryngitis because I completely lost my voice a few months after it first started hurting. I'll look it up and see. Thanks. I've been so worried about this.
  7. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Mine started when I was going thru a difficult time in psychotherapy dealing with childhoos sexual abuse. Understandably I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and I had that sensation for weeks! It was uncomfortable and scary, but antianxiety meds, as you say, are helpful!

Kim
  8. FoggyMama

FoggyMama New Member

Hi Sally,

I felt like I had a lump in my throat that I couldn't swallow a year or so after I was diagnosed with fibro. I went to an ear, nose and throat doc who prescribed Nexium for me. He told me I had GURD and esophagitis, even though I hadn't had any heartburn like I'd heard others do. After taking the Nexium for a couple of weeks, the "lump" feeling cleared up. But now I have a lot of digestion problems, and if I don't take the Nexium for a couple of days, I get heartburn so bad that it makes me vomit. I'm scheduled to consult gastroenterology in a couple of days. Is there any documented information about a possible connection with digestion problems and fibromyalgia that anyone knows about. I would appreciate any insight or information.

Thanks,
    Belinda
  9. pat460

pat460 New Member

My sister had the lump in the throat thing and had a terrible time with eating and all. She hasn't been diagnosed with FM but I'm pretty sure she has it. The doctor went in and did some sort of procedure to stretch something in her throat--I don't remember much about it. I do know it helped some but not entirely. It finally went away after a long period--close to a year. She was having a lot of commotion going on at work with her boss. Some Xanax probably would have helped her too.

On a side note and I hope you don't mind; Since I realized you are on the board Sally, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for so bravely voicing your opinion on my post a few days ago. You didn't have anything to apologize to me about as I did ask for your opinion and felt like you were supposed to be talking to me. Not sure why a couple people jumped back at you like you were talking directly to them. Your post was the one that gave me an ah-ha moment. I was already leaning that way, but seeing as how you work in a lab and actually see the results of these tests, your reply confirmed my suspicions. Thanks too for turning me onto Quackwatch. Awesome site.

Pat

oops! Just looked at the dates. Oh well, maybe you'll see it anyway.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007]
  10. Engel

Engel New Member

I get a tightening in the neck occasionally but never so bad that I cannot swallow. I think mine is just part of this FMS.
  11. lalm

lalm New Member

hi, I have cfs and have the lump that I have always felt played some part in it however, xan does not help it.
  12. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

My lump in the throat feeling did turn out to be a lump in the throat!! A multinodular goiter on the thyroid which had increased it to well over normal size. Apparently quite common with cfs.

Discovered by ultrasound and then a biopsy to confirm that it was benign.
  13. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Matthewson,
    Thanks so much, this totally explains symptoms my daughter was having and we couldn't figure out what it was but we were concerned it was her thyroid.

God bless
    ~ GigglePoet
  14. FANNtasy

FANNtasy New Member

A month and a half or so ago, I tried changing my antidepressant, anti-anxity meds. Had a bad reaction, along with it came, tingling and numbing of the tongue and mouth, chest pains and the lump in the throat.
    With the amount of pain our bodies experience relentlessly, it only makes sence that we are tense. I feel like Im wound up tighter than an 8 day clock. The pain causes the tension which causes the anxiety.
    This makes sence for me anyway.
    Feel Well, Felicia