Lumps Under Skin.....And Elbows, Too??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Jul 31, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I recently developed those lumps under the skin I've heard others speak of.

But today I noticed the tip of my right elbow is "knobbier"
    than usual. There's either a "lump" on the end or the bone has grown in a malformed way. Slightly tender, but not real pain.

Was wondering:those of you that have the "lumps",are your elbows normal or wierd like mine are now? :)

Or am I just becoming the female version of the Elephant Man? LOL

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/31/2003</i>]
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/02/2003</i>]
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I don't have lumps on my elbows, but plenty on my feet, haha! I hope you are feeling great today!
    Take Care!
  3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I don't have lumps on my elbows, but plenty on my feet, haha! I hope you are feeling great today!
    Take Care!
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Both of my elbows have had larger knobs than normal for a few years now. This past year the other side of the elbow has started to grow also. When I asked my Rheumy he said he could not see what I was talking about, but that they were both the same, so it is not pathological. I know I am not imagining it, the points are definitely larger, and they point backwards of how they should be, and the other end of the bone is getting more boxy-shaped. I have had this for several yrs. now and it hasn't killed me yet, but that is the only good news I can offer.
    If you find an answer, please let us know.

P.S. I don't have the small pea-sized lumps on my forearms indicating that what you are referring to?
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/01/2003</i>]
  5. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Exactly! A doctor may not think my elbow was abnormal, but I KNOW it is at least 30% bigger. And I think my left elbow is preparing to suffer the same fate.

I edited my post as I just remembered that the elbow HAS been a bit tender for a couple of weeks, before the lump showed up.

It's got me a bit worried because the actual BONE seems malformed, compared to the other elbow. Plus more "cushioning" on the tip.

And, hey, you said small, pea-sized lumps under the skin indicate RA? Are you talking about Rheumatoid Arthritis???? Please don't tell me that, I have them all over my limbs everywhere!

Bye for now. Going to do a search about "lumps under the skin" !

Thanks to you and the others for the responses.
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Some Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferers have small, green pea sized, hard lumps under the skin of their forearms near their elbows. I have not heard of having them elsewhere.
    Have you had an RA titer blood test?
    If you have small, oval, lumps that are not rock hard, don't hurt, and they are all over, they may just be lipomas (benign fatty tumors). Lots of us have those...I have them all over me.
    Large, oval lumps that move easily, but are hard, and hurt like the dickens when pressed may be indural nodulations, common in fibro patients in places where we use a particular set of muscles repeatedly. When I typed all day at work, I had huge ones in my wrists. I still have them in my shoulders, because cervical disc disease has caused an abnormality in the way my head sits on my shoulders, putting constant pressure on those muscles.
    You might get a dermatologist to check out the possible lipomas, if you think that's what they are. I had one biopsied to make sure.
    I have even growth in both elbows and no soreness or cushioning at the sight of the growth. My extra bone growth is rock hard. The fact that yours is only on one side and hurts make me think a Rheumatologist should check you out and run an RA titer, since there is a 35% overlap between Fibro and RA.
    Keep us posted on what happens.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003</i>]
  7. Julygal

Julygal New Member

I've had lumps on my forearms for quite awhile now, & have found a few in other areas. All are tender. I asked my Rheumy about them. She said that many of us with FMS/CFS, etc. have these lumps. She added that when biopsied they have been found to be benign (thank God!). Seems just another one of those "weird things" that so many of us experience!
    My elbows are often painfully sore - perhaps due to having OA - but so far, haven't noticed any lumps on them.
    Thanks for the info you provided, Klutzo. That was very helpful.
    God bless,

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003</i>]
  8. lebra

lebra New Member

I also have "lumps" under the skin but have had this for years.(over 15) Have had a couple removed when got in the way like inside and index finger of my dominate hand. Just fatty tumors but I have several that are very painful when pressed but they are not easily movable. Ones on the side of each hip are especially painful. My rheum. did not give me any idea why they occur but he did do a cortison injection at on in them and it helped some. Still are a bother though. I would really love to know what they are and what to do about them.
  9. donna13210

donna13210 Member

That's what I thought, JulyGal, that lumps under the skin were just another "benefit" (ha ha) of having FMS. At least that's what I've heard.

Dear Klutzo, I am so sorry you've had such a rough time in your life with lumps! Geez, my knobby little elbow is a miniscule problem compared with yours. The RA titre test is a good idea, I've never had it done.

My lumps are pea or grape-sized and on my arms and legs. If you swipe your fingers along my forearm from wrist to elbow, it's like there's a washboard under the skin. It's wierd.

If I press on any place on my body, ANYWHERE, it's tender. So I can't tell if the lumps are painful because it's already painful everywhere! I can't even stand to have one of my cats walk on me when I'm laying down, it really hurts.

Thanks to all of you for your input.
  10. xxjaxgalxx

xxjaxgalxx New Member

I have small pea-sized lumps EVERYWHERE that are extremely tender. There isn't a spot on my body that doesn't feel like I've got bubblewrap implanted under my skin ! I can't stand to have any pressure anywhere on my body. My cats or dogs cause me excruciating pain when they just lean on my thigh or arm. Especially tender are the sides and inside of my thighs, my forearms, the small of my back just above the buttocks, just under my collar bone, under my jaw, my jawbone joint, my head... you name it. I was researching and found that what we have could be something common to CFS/Fibro sufferers called Tactile Allodynia. &lt;BR&gt;
  11. onset1990

onset1990 Member

knobby knees and one is a different shaped bone sticking out now. and one ankle has it a wrist and a big toe. Doc says osteoarthritis! Look it up. It cause bone degeneration and regrowth at the same time, changing the shape of the knobs on the end of the bones. They can get enormous! Thank goodness mine are not enormous. They also are very sensitive to the touch and if you whack one accidentally, OUCH!&lt;BR&gt;
    Don't you just love it? I have increased inflammation in my body seen via an HSCRP test. I think they are related. But I don't have RA at all.&lt;BR&gt;
    Osteoarthritis is the most common rheumatalogical affliction.
  12. onset1990

onset1990 Member

Fibromyalgia is the second most common Rheumatological condition!