lunar eclipse Saturday night

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Catseye, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Catseye

Catseye Member

From astronomy dot com:

The first total lunar eclipse in more than 2 years will thrill North American observers March 3. This eclipse will provide a perfect astronomy-club or family event because it occurs on a Saturday.

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon, in orbit around Earth, passes into Earth's shadow. The shadow has two parts, the inner, darker umbra and the outer, lighter penumbra. If the whole Moon enters the umbra, the eclipse is total. If the umbra hides only part of the Moon, the eclipse is partial.

Inhabitants of Europe and Africa have the best views for this sky event: They're perfectly positioned to watch the entire eclipse.

The Moon slips into Earth's shadow March 3 in the first total lunar eclipse since 2004. Observers on North America's East Coast will enjoy 75 minutes of darkened Moon. Astronomy: Roen Kelly [larger image]
    Within the United States, the East Coast will enjoy the longest view, but, even there, the Moon will rise already eclipsed. On the central East Coast, the Moon rises at about 5:45 P.M. EST. In Boston, it rises 15 minutes earlier, and in Miami, at 6:20 P.M., shortly before totality ends. Observers in the Central time zone will see the late stages of totality, which ends at 5:58 P.M. CST.

The end of totality occurs just as the Moon rises for observers along a line from Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, and south to the Louisiana coast near New Orleans. From the Mississippi River to the Rockies, observers will see a partial eclipse, when the Moon's bright left rim exits the dark umbra during the next hour. Farther west, skywatchers get a deep yellow moonrise after the partial phase has ended. They'll get their turn August 28, when the next total lunar eclipse occurs.

What color will the Moon turn at mideclipse? During past total eclipses, the Moon has turned brown, orange, crimson, and brick red. Lunar eclipses exhibit a range of shades because sunlight passing through Earth's atmosphere becomes scattered and reddened. It's this dim glow that fills Earth's shadow and lights the eclipsed Moon.

don't miss it, hope it's not cloudy!

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The moon is my ruling "planet." A full moon always brings increased energy and a feeling of excitement and well-being. Unfortunately, we've had a lot of cloudiness lately and I hope the clouds don't obscure the eclipse.

I watched the last shuttle launch across the state from my lanai last time and it was spectacular. Unfortunately, there were some clouds so it didn't last long. Still, I'll never forget it.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

it's is really late and I am really tired so forgive me.

Does the moon rise from the east? I saw the eclipes in 2004, very cool.

I am in eastern KY but the forcast is for cloudy. Thanks for tip. Carla
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, the moon does rise from the East but it doesn't always appear to rise at the same point north or south on the eastern horizon. It will be rising about the same time as the sun is setting and I think that will make it even more difficult to see. We've had thin clouds all day, so I'm not sure I'll see it.

Love, Mikie
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

I forgot all about the darn thing until I saw my own post! I just came to post some useless funny emails!

Gee, thanks me! Now let's hope I remember in about 2 hours.

dang brain fog
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2007]
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It was beautiful.
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

and I was unaware of a lunar eclipse even happening. I was driving down the road and saw the moon slowly changing and could not figure out what was going on with it. Now I know.