Lunesta aftertaste any tips

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sueliza, May 16, 2006.

1. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I have been on Ambien which works great, but my ins company is giving me a hard time about covering them. So, my dr gave me samples of Lunesta.

It works just as well, but the taste the next day I could do without! :)

I have researched on here, and I have tried drinking oj in the morning - that helped for only about 15 minutes. The taste is not horrible, but it is there all day.

Any ideas? Thank you.
  2. kcollins

kcollins New Member

my son's doctor's said to drink orange juice as soon as you wake up, he never tried it because the taste was so bad for him he couldn't sleep!
  3. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

My doc would not give me Lunesta even though I asked for it because she said Ambien CR is the same and Lunesta leaves a metallic taste in your mouth that lingers even when you go off it. I have to pay the highest copay for it but it is definately worth it.
  4. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Thank you for the info! I have tried the orange juice and it only helps for about 15 minutes. I woke up during the night last night and could already taste it!

I may just have to resign myself to paying over $4 a day for the ambien. I wish my insurance would pay for it - even if it was at the highest copay.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
  5. Treca

Treca New Member

I know this sounds funny, but I eat a piece of bread after I take it. I really don't like reg. bread so I eat a slice of the Pepperidge Farms Cinnamon Swirl. It helps with the funny taste and the cottonmouth that I get because of the Lunesta.

I know that everybody is different so this may not work for you. I always drink coffee in the morning and that helps as well and after I'm done eating my breakfast I brush and gargle right away. This helps me a lot

Though of course when I get that taken care of my other new meds I'm taking are giving me a nasty mouth too. Go figure. I just keep brushing my mouth like crazy. It helps, but doesn't take it all away. I'm willing to deal with it because my meds are working so great for me.

Hopefully someone will have other suggestions for you that will work for you.

Good luck!

Treca :)
  6. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

It does leave a horrible taste that last all of the next day. Sorry dont know anything to help, but I couldn't take it because of this.

Andrea
  7. chickadee

chickadee New Member

several years ago I was prescribed "something" that left a nasty metalic taste in my mouth and pharmacist told me to eat a bite of chocolate candy with the pill when I swallowed it.

As I remember, that worked like a charm. Don't think it could hurt to try it with Lunesta and it just might work!

Peace,
    Chickadee
  8. corkyebony

corkyebony New Member

Hello,I'm a new kid on the block. I have sent a previous message but it never got through.
    This one caught my eye as my dr also gave me samples and the taste stays with me for 24 (yes)yes 24 hrs.
    I thought xanex was bad,but not like Lunesta.
    I try ice cream,kool aid,candy,cereal.etc.I have not found anything that works. YUK!
    As a followup. I am 56,female-a army vet and a ham radio op.KC8KKEI have FMS and CFS,two total knees and can't be more miserable. Looking for friends and support as I feel so lonely most of the time.
    I am preparing to start Dr. St Amands protocol in a few weeks.
    To all of you who suffer from this awful disease. God Bless You and you are not alone.
    Take care,
    Corkyebony