Lunesta and me don't mix

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Feb 20, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I just tried Lunesta for sleep last night. I took one 3 mg tablet. I got to sleep fairly quickly, but woke up as usual at 2am. I had major cotton mouth and drank tons of water. I did get back to sleep quickly. When I awoke again at 5am, I again had major cotton mouth.

I finally got out of bed at 7am, and my head was very fuzzy and I had a dull headache. The worst part is this awful metallic taste in my mouth. It has lasted all day (it's 4pm now). Everything I eat tastes bad and my tongue has a weird pattern on it. The headache has lasted all day, too.

Needless to say, I'm not taking Lunesta again tonight. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I found a coupon on-line for 4 free tablets (with a Dr's prescription). At least I didn't have to pay for it (money-wise), and now I know.

I'm glad it works for some people. I'm just not one of them!

Katy

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2006]
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi Katy, I have never tried Lunesta but Ambien, and all of the other meds for sleep including Tylenol PM made me feel Horrible!!

I hope you can find something else that works for you. A little Elavil and or Neurontin really helps me sleep through the night.

Good Luck with this...

Laura
  3. vp

vp New Member

I'm with you on the lunesta. I had no luck with it. I was up most of the night, and the metallic taste was unbearable. It tasted like I had a wad of aluminum foil in my mouth all day (and night). I'ts Ambien for me.
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've done the Elavil and Neurontin route and they weren't right for me either.

I guess I will go back to Ambien for now. I'm hoping other positive changes I'm making will affect the sleep issue.

I know Stormy's shake is helping in other areas (digestive tract, mood, eliminating cravings), but it hasn't been the magic bullet for me sleep-wise. I'm sure meds are an issue, and I'm working to cut down in that area, but it isn't easy! I'm trying hard, though!

I'm already taking ZMA and Peaceful Nights. I'm thinking of adding GABA or 5-HTP for sleep. I'd like to continue adding more herbal and natural remedies as opposed to meds.

Thanks for your replies!!

Katy
  5. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I had the metallic taste in my mouth too. I slept very well and no other side effects but OHHHH that horrible taste.
    I can't stand that.And yes--it does last ALL DAY !
    Shirley
  6. jane32

jane32 New Member

I only had that awful taste when I was taking 2 mg. I only take 1 or a 1/2 of 1 mg and no bad taste. I also take melatonin and it seems to be working so far. There are so many things out there so don't give up on getting quality sleep:)
  7. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I spent $70 out of pocket to try a med that doesn't work and makes your mouth taste bad. It's such a bitter nasty tasting pill to swallow. Every time I see those commercials that metallic taste comes rushing back. The drug company has to keep plugging it on TV every 5 minutes to get some new patients snookered into the fold.

Wonder where to call to get a refund on my $70? 800-BAD-
    MEDS? Sorry, I think that number belongs to the hotline to for Vioxx, Celebrex, Fen-Phen.
  8. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Certain medicines don't mix with some people.
    It changes from person to person.
    I'm on Lunesta now, because it's one of the only ones my Rheum's comfortable with giving me, since i'm only 16.
    The first couple days I did have a weird taste in my mouth...
    But other than that, it helps me good =]
    So i think it depends on certain peoples bodies.
    I'm sorry it didn't work out for you though =[
    -Danielle
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It's always good to know that others have had the same strange reaction to a med. In this case, the metallic taste. What an awful taste!!! Interesting that for some it only lasted a few days and for some it is dose dependent.

I am glad I got the free 4 day trial prescription. Glad I didn't have to pay $70. OUCH!! At first I thought, "How will I know if it's right for me with only 4 pills?" Well, I know after only 1 pill!

Who knows, I may give it another shot by cutting one in half, but for now, I'm going back to 5 mg Ambien.

Thanks for your responses.

Katy
  10. PainSux

PainSux New Member

That should resolve in awhile as w/many medications that you have to get used to.

I had a patient that had been in all the studies & that person really loved the medication. My doctor just wrote it for me today because the medication I have been using stopped working.

I think it's probably just something that your body takes awhile to get used to & that it's a very individual thing. I'll let you know how I do. I didn't fill the prescription yet but will probably tomorrow.
  11. lakeredy

lakeredy New Member

Yuck,Yuck and Yuck!! I tried it and had the same metalic taste. It is terrible. I only used it one nite. I can't stomach that taste so I haven't used it again.

Karen