Lunesta and my sleepneed suggestions...could it be diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Mar 11, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

I first started taking 2 mg of Luensta two months ago. It made me super tired during the day so I cut back the dose to 1 mg and it worked like a charm. I slept 7-8 hrs. a night and if I did wake up in the middle of the night which I always seem to do I would fall right back asleep. It was wonderful! I actually got away with taking 1/2 of 1 mg pill with 1 2.5 melatonin a night. Again sleep was great.

Well for the past 10 days my sleep seems to be getting worse. I fall asleep very quickly but wake up after about 4-5 hrs. and can't fall back asleep. My body starts to get energerized and then I fall back asleep after 3 hrs. of laying still. But I probably will only get another hr. or so. This is exactly what use to happen and it bothers me so much!

I was really feeling pretty good with my sleep under control. I even raised my Lunesta dose back up to 1.5 last night and it didn't work. I guess I will try 2 tonight.

I am not doing anything differently except I did start the Leap healthy eating program about 10 days ago and I began taking 6 pills of the Enzyme RX. All of these things should be helping me sleep though!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for waking up early? Or do you think the new eating pattern could have thrown me off?

Thank you:)
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Are you taking it anywhere near bedtime? Or anywhere near your lunesta? Can it possibly be breaking down the lunesta making it ineffective? It sounds like something is rendering it neutral.

I haven't ever gone through a complete reversal of effectiveness of something that quickly, so I don't have a reference point for you. I do know that my lunesta did not work as well if I had taken it too soon after a meal ... had to have a close to empty stomach for it to work best.

Good luck on this. Fixing the sleep is so critical ... I am at the point of not needing anything for sleep, but I would not hesitate to grab the lunesta bottle tonight if I needed it.

Take care,

Elsa
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

I take it at around 7:00 and I take the Lunesta at 11:45/12:00.

I did take the 2 mg last night-slept for 9 1/2 hrs. I still woke up in the early morning but continued sleep. I have my fever now so it is hard to tell if I am drowsy from the higher dose or just feeling lousy from the 101 temp!

Life sucks sometimes, you know?!

That is so great your sleep is under control. I think that is really important too. I might get a sleep study done but I am not too sure what it would show. I mean they probably would just tell me to take Lunesta!
  4. kbak

kbak Member

This whole sleep thing is a real bear! I've noticed with myself that If I do anything different, take anything different, it affects my sleep. Most people can take melatonin. I can't. Even in the tinest dose, it will completely wake me up.

I've been doing "the shake" which has helped me take less meds at nite, but I still don't get a full nites sleep. If I didn't have to get up in the nite to pee I know I would sleep better. It's that getting up that blows the whole thing.

There is just no magic answer to this. The sicker you are, the harder this is to remedy. My heat goes out to everyone who isn't sleeping well!

K.
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

I use to stop drinkign anything by 9:00 at night and that cured that problem. But now I take my last dose of Valtrex at 10:15 and then the lunesta later which makes me get up at 4:00 tppee no matter hwo many times I go before bed. Hopefully I will be off of the Valtrex soon. It's funny though b/c before I got CFS I never got up to pee or woke up in the middle of the night!So my sleep patterns are definitely related to CFS.
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

You know .... Being sick just makes it all around worse ... hope you feel better soon.

Sleep study could show some things ... like what type of REM sleep you get. Mine was zero REM which means there was a ton of things ... meds, supplements, and food that I could not take anymore because of their negative effects on my sleep.

REM can go the other direction too .... too much REM or going straight into REM is a potential sign of depression ... plus others.

My sleep study showed other stuff ... but the usual, alpha intrusion, multi-awakening, etc. It did prove no sleep apnea so that's one less worry.

I also like having it in my file as "proof" that not all is right with my world and that it cannot be blamed on depression .... ie, my level of REM sleep.

Sleep disorders have become a gold standard in fibro / CFS diagnosis and treatments. It makes it less difficult to do battle when you have one backing you up.

Anyway .... glad you got some rest and I hope the bug that's got hold of you get's kicked to the curb soon!

E.
  7. jane32

jane32 New Member

Hi,

The bug is actually my CFS. I get fever cycles every month for about 10 days...totally sucks.

I think I will look into that sleep study then. I will check around this week University of Pennsylvania is suppose to be one of the best.

Thanks again!

8. neen85

neen85 New Member

My frequent urination (day/night) greatly lessened when I began taking "hypothalmupar" by energique nutrition (purchased through a health-care provider or supplement store). The hypothalamus affects the adrenals,which in turn,regulate your hydration (water works).

I was going every 10 minutes at my worst,and got up 2-5 times a night,depending on what I drank. Even though I am much better I am still not to the level of a normal person. Daneen