Lunesta in Canada? Any other insomnia ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Jan 20, 2006.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

Does anyone know how we could find out if this drug has been approved in Canada yet?

I really want to try it. I am so sick of sleepless nights and there seems to be nothing on the market that helps except Restoril. I am going through another period of Restoril not working at all so I am awake most of the night. I would so love to have a good drug to try!

Thanks for any ideas of how to find this out.
    Pepper

Edit: I outlined in the fifth post down the protocol I use for sleep. Does anyone see any problems with it? Anything I could add?
    Thank you for any suggestions.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2006]
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Maybe now that this is bumped up, someone will know. We had this discussion not too long ago and I can't remember if you were in on it. At that time , it was not approved in Canada.
    Imovane(Zopiclone)is available. I think Lunesta is sort of a second generation Imovane. Anyway. if you haven't tried Imovane, it works well and is worth a try.

You could do a search and you might find the information you are looking for.

Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2006]
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

Yes, I was in on the discussion you refer to. I did some research at that time and discovered that Lunesta is a grandchild of Imovane (Zopiclone). Lunesta is eszopiclone and it has a longer half-life.

Imovane always worked really well for me but it didn't last long enough so I think that Lunesta might be the answer for me.

I am just impatient for Health Canada to approve it and have no idea how to find out if it is even in the works.

Thanks for your reply, Kathy. It reminded me about Imovane and I think I just may ask my doctor for some Imovane to get me through this rough patch.

Thanks a lot.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2006]
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I was thinking some more about this last nght. Have you tried Melatonin along with your sleep med? My ND says that the research shows that you should just take a very small dose. like 1/2 -1mg.I haven't taken it for a while but it did help me when I did. It can cause vivid dreams in some people.

I'm pretty sure Lunesta is not approved here but when I get some energy. I'll try to find the web site.

Happy Sleeping!
    Kathy
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

Thank you for your interest. This is what I take at night for sleep:

1)Liquid Cal/Mag (I heard that it is absorbed better and I have trouble with most magnesiums - this seems ok). I was taking 2 ZMA from ProHealth but have run out. I thought that varying supplements helps but now I am not sure!

2)1/2 of a 2.5mg sublingual Melatonin from ProHealth. It does work by getting me to sleep quickly. I am usually asleep within a couple of hours, maybe less. It doesn't keep me asleep however. I leave the other half of the pill on the night stand so if I wake up and feel like I am not going back to sleep, I take the other half. (When I took the full 2.5 mg it made me wired! but this dose seems to help. I wonder if lowering it would help further.???)

3) 30 mg Restoril (the only thing that has worked for me over the years despite trying a number of other drugs. I used to take 15 mg Restoril and 7.5 mg Imovane but my GP wanted me off the Imovane. I am going to try and get back on that regime again I think now that you have reminded me.)

4)300 mg Valerian

5)Last night for the first time I added 500 mg Inositol. Someone on here suggested 1000mg of the Jarrow (powder I think) Inositol but I forgot the brand name and bought another kind. I did sleep some better last night and wonder about adding 500 mg more tonight.

On top of all this, I use a CPAP which used to help lengthen the time between wake-ups but doesn't any longer.

And I put pure lavender oil in a scent-diffuser so the room smells of lavender while I am resting in bed, waiting to go through my pill-taking ritual.

Despite all this, I still am sleeping very poorly. Lately I have been waking up at least once every hour.

This has been the most frustrating part of my 13 yrs with CFS. I go through spells like this when no matter what I do I do not sleep.

Maybe the Inositol will make a difference.
    Or cutting the Melatonin again.
    I may try both tonight and see what happens.

Thank you, Kathy.
    Pepper