Lunesta making me feel really bad, which sleep meds should I take

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ellieneiva, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Ellieneiva

Ellieneiva New Member

It's as if Lunesta takes away everything I am, everything I try and work for, you know being positive, thinking good about myself, I gave it a couple of days, I feel aggressive, overly sensitive about the way I look, afraid to back up the car in the rain, I read somewhere that if you take seretonin medicine that this kind of medicine might affect that, that's exactly what it feels like, it took away every positive thing that I have and changed my thinking!
    Wierd huh~
    Please any suggestions for a different kind of sleep aid would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks a bunch
    Ellie
  2. Ellieneiva

Ellieneiva New Member

I've tried just about everything to sleep and have been waking up exhausted for as long as I can remember, that I why I finally went to the doctor. I only take thryoid meds besides the new sleeping pill, it's the saint John's wort and 5-htp that I take for depression that creating a problem I think.
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

in week one on the methylation protocol.

Others have reported VAST improvements in sleep on this protocol ...which is basically an active version of folate and B12.

Lots of info on the board about this.

I even experimented with Xyrem to improve sleep. One of the stupidest things i've done in my life IMHO in retrospect.

delia
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Please tell what happened with the Xyrem? My MD wants me to try it. So important to hear from the trenches on these things.

Also, Lunesta made me feel like a lunatic. I am addicted to Ambien so I can't recommend it due to that but for my chemistry it provides something that works (or did until I took it too long . . .it was amazing for about the first year) Whoever said try to avoid these sleeping meds had a good idea but if you really have to have something . . .

Here's to a good night's sleep.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I also had a bad reaction with Lunesta. Felt very depressed and also nauseated the whole day.

I will never take it again. I am having good luck with 15 mg of regular Ambien. I don't like the Ambien CR because I am way too tired the next day. I used 1 - 10 mg Ambien and 1/2 of a 10 mg.

For a while I was using Restoril 15 mg and upped to 22 mg. It is okay also but a completely different drug. Restoril is very good. According to the literature, even through Restoril is a benzo drug, it has very low incidence of tolerance. I liked it. It takes longer to work - for me about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.

Doctors seem to want to push Lunesta but I would not be surprised if we hear in a year about bad side effects and it is pulled from the market.

6. CFS1992

CFS1992 New Member

Maybe Deliarose can answer this:

So if I've started taking a super B-complex vitamin that has folic acid, started Omega 3 fatty acid supplement, and take melatonin, should that improve the quality of my sleep? I do dream at night. Doesn't that mean that I'm getting to Level 3 or 4 sleep?

Thanks for responses from anyone. Sleep is so important.

I've had CFS for 15 years, and haven't found the right combination for refreshed sleep yet.
  7. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I just wanted to add that I take ambien, rx, for sleep and "cannot" sleep without it,umm. I think that means I am addicted.

I have tried over the counter instead and have terrible nightmares.

I tried taken 1/2 tab. of ambien and had nightmares.

I am going to order the methylation protocol that Delia has talked about in this thread. I talked to her earlier about it and it may work for me too hopefully.

Just my point of view..on ambien.
    Ginner

8. NannyGlo

NannyGlo New Member

Hi Ellie. I've been taking Lunesta for about 6 months now, but I'm not having the problems you are experiencing. That is not unusual, however, as we all react to meds in different ways. I had tried Ambian, and it worked good for me, but I had spells of amnesia while on it. It's a common side effect of Ambian, so I'd think it would be okay to use right before bedtime.

A different type of sleep med would be a tricyclic antidepressant, such as Elavil or Doxepin. I've been taking Doxepin for years, first prescribed for sleep and anxiety. Good luck. I hope you find just what you need. It can be frustrating at times.