Lunesta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TMBFibro, Aug 17, 2005.

1. TMBFibro

TMBFibro New Member

Is anyone taking Lunesta for sleep? It is suppose to be a new sleeping pill that works better than Ambien. After taking Ambien for awhile, it ends up losing its effect. This is not the case with Lunesta. I think I'm going to have my doctor put me on it.
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I've been taking Lunesta almost a month. When my pain is the worst, it does not help me sleep; but at other times, I think it helps. I think it comes in different strengths. I am taking 2 mg. nightly. I am going to ask if I can try a stronger dose at my next appointment.

I do not feel draggy and hungover the next day.

Ambien did nothing for me.

I hope Lunesta will help you.
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I've been on lunesta for two months now. It works beautifully for me as long as I plan on giving myself 8 real hours to sleep.

I do not wake up with a drug hangover... which is incredible news for me.

I put in a very physical day with my work yesterday. Last evening I was feeling the whole " I've got the flu and I'm not gonna make it " thing. After soaking in the tub, I took my lunesta and dropped off.

I had another early morning today ( 5:30 ). Woke up refreshed and no pain. No flu-like symptoms either. I was stiff though, so I wasn't perfect! LOL

Anyway, I'm sharing this to let you know there is hope for some folks by taking lunesta. I really feel that my body was able to make repairs last night due to the good quality of sleep I got.

I take 2mg at bedtime. I do wake up from time to time during the night, but I am able to fall right back to sleep. That is a new ability due to lunesta.

Like many drugs and these illnesses ... it doesn't work for everyone. I hope it does well for you.

Good luck,

Elsa

4. pmj952

pmj952 New Member

Hi!
    I've only taken a few doses of Lunesta, but I like it. Ambien was not keeping me asleep. The Lunesta worked for almost 6 hrs. which is incredible for me.

Only draw back is a kind of metallic taste which lasts well into the next day. If this doesn't sound like it would be a big deal to you, I'd give it a try.

Deb J.
  5. charlotte440512

charlotte440512 New Member

Hi, I have been taking lunesta for about a month, and it really works good for me. the only thing it makes water when i drink it, taste awful. It is very expensive, but does help me sleep. I have had fibromyalgia for about 10 years,
  6. Jessa34

Jessa34 New Member

I've been on the 2mg dose of Lunesta for about 3 weeks. I noticed right away that I was sleeping better - not perfectly but it felt like I was getting more restful sleep. I have noticed an aftertaste all throughout the day (somewhat similar to being on antibiotics for some people) and I have been somewhat dizzy, which I think has been due to the Lunesta. Other than that I think it's a good thing to try - I feel like it's helped. It doesn't take away all of the disease but I haven't felt like I'm fighting exhaustion all the time now. Good luck.
  7. neen85

neen85 New Member

I was on lunesta for around 3 months. I previously was on trazodone,and didn;t go right to sleep with it,and wasn't getting a good sleep with it.

I changed to lunesta. The first night I went right to sleep and woke up briefly 3 hrs. later and then went back to sleep. 2nd night,same pattern. 3rd night...all sleep...wondrful sleep,no dreaming,EVER,though. I DID dream when I slept on the couch in the afternoons.

I just had to go off lunesta and back to trazodone and added in ambien. The lunesta stopped working for me. I have been on the trazodone only one night now,and didn't sleep well on it either. I am sure hormonal issues are to blame partly here. I have had undiagnosed lyme for 16 1/2 yrs. Today is my anniversary date of being diagnosed one year officially. Daneen
  8. trinity3

trinity3 New Member

i have tried lunesta too... and it did help me sleep a little better, but the horrible taste in my mouth the next day was enough for me to stop taking it!

i actually had to take my nausea medication because the taste was making me nauseous... and eating or drinking didnt seem to help, just made the food/drink taste bad...

i dont know though, the doctor doesnt want to give me anything else cause lunesta is non narcotic and they dont want to give me an 'addictive' sleeping pill. they are very very uptight about narcotics here in missouri *rolls eyes* so i might try it again, at least on really bad nights that i really need to sleep.

glad i am not the only one to notice the after taste!
  9. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I have been taking Lunesta for 3 or 4 months now. Ambien had stopped working for me as well.

Ambien seemed to help me fall asleep up many nights after 3 or 4 hours of sleep I would be wide awake again for the night.

The lunesta takes a little longer to put me to sleep but when I do fall asleep now I usually get a full 7 to 9 hours of sleep.

I even skip nights and do not take the lunesta every night these days!
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

not perfect but it's the best sleep aid I have tried.

Yes it can cause a metallic taste in the mouth but for many of us that's a small price to pay compared with the consequences of chronic sleep deprivation.

I have no hang over the next day; after taking Zopiclone, which is similar, for some time there has been no problem with developing tolerance.

The reasons we have difficulties with sleep are not the same which is why no one sleep med or anti depressant given to help with sleep works for everyone.

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]