Lung Involvment in Fibro??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MorganMiller, Dec 14, 2008.

1. MorganMiller

MorganMiller New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibro a few years ago. I have practically all of the symptoms but I am not completely convinced that it is the only thing going on.
    The last few days a new symptom has emerged. When I was resting (as I must do often) I could not breathe. It was as if my lung was a toothpaste bottle being rolled up from the bottom. It felt like someone was squeezing my left lung and it was only working at a quarter capacity. I have not had asthma since childhood. The first thing I did was take my sister's inhaler (albuteral [sp]) and then was set up on a forced air machine. That night (three nights ago) it started to subside, and my lung loosened so that I could breathe. As it loosened however, it felt like someone was stabbing my lungs with a dagger with every intake of breath. Eventually it subsided and I thought maybe it was a fluke. A strange fluke, but nonetheless.
    Then it happened again last night. It was much worse than the first time even. I could get no air in my lungs. My hands were tingling and I could not move my legs, and overall extremely weak. It became so bad I ended up in the ER. Of course the doctors could not find anything wrong, chest x-rays looked clean, blood work was fine (although potassium was very low), heart rate (elevated initially but then came down) and EKG normal, blood pressure was low but alright. And although the potassium was probably the cause of the tingling/numbness in my hands and legs, it has nothing to do with my lungs.
    The doctor said I was having a panic attack. I cannot believe that. I was completely calm when it first started to happen, how could that be a panic attack? He assumed this because when I arrived at the ER I was getting little air into my lungs, so no duh, of course I was anxious at that point. But what triggered it?
    He gave me potassium pills and pain meds and anxiety meds (ARGH!) and said since they could not find anything and I had become stable I should go home.

My question is, has anyone else with Fibro had lung involvement? It is not listed as a usual symptom but that doesn't mean we don't all have it (many things are not listed) or could this be something else?

(Sorry for the small rant in the post, doctors are just infuriating often as you all know)
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Do you live around lots of trees or woods? Do you go hiking or camping? Bicycling? The Rocky Mountain tick transmits a bacteria that can cause some of your symptoms as does the deer tick, dog tick or Lonestar tick. Google Babesiosis to see if you have any of the other symptoms.

Some people have malaise, fatigue, high fever, chills, drenching sweats, muscle pain, joint pain and headaches. Sometimes, a person can be infected with the parasite but not show any symptoms. In some cases it may take from 1 to 12 months for first symptoms to appear after infection with the parasite.

Once my Babs was treated properly my Fibro pain went away as did the air hunger that I had. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and find myself unable to breathe. It was like I was trying to breathe in a vacuum or something. I just couldn't get air into my lungs.

3. MorganMiller

MorganMiller New Member

I live in the Rocky Mountain region however I don't have Babesiosis.

I don't go hiking, camping, biking or even in the woods. Too tired all the time. And when the fibro symptoms first developed I did not live in the rocky mountains.

Thanks for your guess though, and I am glad it made you feel a lot better.

4. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I have similar pain in my chest (right side) right now. I have had CFS since '04 and FM dx'd this year. I had my right lung callapse in '03, I am very familiar with the lung problem. The pain (tightness) I have right now isn't the same. I've also had panic attacks (type 1 diabetic -sometimes panic when sugar is way too low). Those also feel different to me.

Does your pain start in your back/shoulder blade area? Can you feel it back there? Sometimes it's pain that radiates to the front. Mine happens sometimes on the right and then sometimes on the left. It's crazy because it will hurt so bad I can't breathe at night... Then, the next morning, it's gone! Without a trace.

Could it be pain that is radiating to the front? Just a guess. (I had to ask this same question to my mom's friend with FM...)

I hope you start feeling better soon!

5. 3gs

3gs New Member

Not sure of answer but I have this happen especially if I have had major body tensing at night or its cold outside.

Rant away! Everybody here has! Understand totally.
  6. PRC

PRC New Member

Well some of them, I have a wonderful general practioner. I have had him for a little more than 10yrs and he is great. My whole family sees him. My hubby, my brother his wife and his wife's mom. Soon I think I am going to let my son start seeing him also. I can't stand the bedside manner of my son's pediatrician. But we are going to see him soon because he always makes sure that my son gets a flu shot.
    I also have fibromyalgia and have had it for about 14yrs and it only has seemed to get worse.
    But what you were talking about with your problems breathing I had the same thing happen to me on Sunday. I bent over to get somethings I dropped and when I stood back up I couldn't catch my breath, I had to sit down and rest then I was able to breathe better. I have only had asthma when I was pregnant with my son. 15yrs ago. I was very worried but now that I think about it it did feel like what an anxiety attack feels like but I was not upset or stressed out at all. That is weird and also I take Xanax for my anxiety attacks so I hardly have them anymore. I only have them when something really bad happens. Could it have it been an allergic reaction to something? Pamela
  7. MorganMiller

MorganMiller New Member

I wish it was just an allergic reaction. It starts in the bottom of my left lung, as if someone is squeezing it shut. The pain in between my shoulder blades and in my back does not come until after the other has calmed down. It is like my lung is closing off and I cannot breathe. I don't know if it was a virus that had some horrible effect, but why would it do that? IDK, I am going to see a new doc tomorrow and we will see what answers she pulls out of

Anyway, thank you all for your support. Hopefully it is something that will not continue.
    Life with fibro is crazy, and many people have symptoms that are not listed under the title we are given.

8. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I have breathing problems and I have FMS I have was even sent to the hospital for a complete heart check. Cardiologist thought it was my lungs and he was right. I also have sleep apenea and I guess that can cause some breathing problems have you been checked for either of these things. I never had a problem with either a few years back.
  9. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have had this off and on for the past 3 years of my 20 years of this dd. I have read that this is common among us.