Lupus meds for pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzk76r, Nov 13, 2005.

1. dzk76r

dzk76r New Member

Hi All: I am new to the chat and am not seeing a whole lot about Lupus even though it says lupus chat.

Here is my dilema I hope somebody out there might be able to give me some guidance. My mom was officially diagnosed with SLE in 1988. The last 10 years she has had a wonderful Dr. that has kept her functioning in daily life in Oroville, CA. (Dr. Howard), suddenly this new pharmicist in town (Diana at Crystal pharmacy) decides that my mom is taking too much Darvocet for her pain and complains to the Dr.. 6 months ago after the pharmicist complained the Dr. decides that the pharmicist is right and removes all pain meds from my mom. My mom has spent more time in the hospital at this point than out. At least before she had a life and didn't just exist but was living. At this point her blood pressure has skyrocketed and she has had two strokes and is constantly ill. I know darvocet has dangerous side affects but what about the side affects of living in constant pain day in and day out. I know that darvocet does not reduce blood pressure but common sense would tell you that, hhmmm, lets see, if we take away her pain meds and she is now in pain, suffering daily and stressed that this would cause your blood pressure to go up. Right? Help. Does anyone know of a dr. in the Sacramento area that is not afraid to perscribe darvocet or some kind of pain relief so that a person with Systemic Lupus can actually live again instead of just existing in bed. please....

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I hate it that you found us only because you mother is ill, but you have found a good place!

I have systemic lupus as well as fibromyalgia, arthritis, and a ton of other stuff!

Well, I guess the pharmacist was just doing what she thought was her job by complaining to your mom's doc about taking too much Darvocet.

Well, my opinion on this is that she must have complained to the doc that the amount of Darvocet that she was taking was not helping her pain. Therefore, the doc increased, and possibly kept increasing her dose of Darvocet without stopping to think that perhaps he was giving her too much.

What that tells me is that if that large quantity of Darvocet was not controlling her pain, then it is time to change her to a different pain med!!!!! Sometimes, you need to move "up a notch" on the pain meds to achieve better pain control. (Darvocet is way on the bottom of the pain med charts! It is about as weak as they come!!)

Her blood pressure may be skyrocketing due to her pain not under control.

You don't mention your mother's age; however, even older patients take anti-depressants. My own mother is 76 is she is on Zoloft to help with her depression.

All people who are chronically ill are normally depressed--they can't help from being depressed, due to the chronic pain, fatigue, weakness, etc.

I don't know after having a stroke, but you might want to discuss with her doc about giving her an anti-depressant. They also work to help control pain. Some work bettr in one person than others do. I take Cymbalta because it is also supposed to help pain--and it is also approved by the AMA for use in diabetics.

Also talk with her doc about her taking a stronger pain med. If she lives alone and has trouble now getting around, etc., he will probably be hesitant to give her a very strong one due to the fact that a lot of them will make you sleepy. If she is too sleepy during the day, she could due funny stuff from "not being with it"--like leave a burner on, a candle lit and fall asleep, trip over something and break a hip, etc.

I happen to take Lortab for my back pain and it doesn't make me sleepy at all; in fact, if I take it too late in the afternoon, it will keep me awake all night!

I also take Placquenil for the SLE. I think it's just supposed to help out more in the anti-inflammatory department than pain--because I know it doesn't phase my pain.

If your mother has someone else in the house living with her, I would argue the point with her doc that she is elderly and you are not concerned with the dependency issue of the pain med--you just want her to be comfortable, which every person with a chronic illness has the right to be.

My father had a fatal illness. He was 74 but was in end stage renal failure and on kidney dialysis, having many complications with the dialysis, etc. Right before he had to have a leg amputated, he was in so much pain that he just wanted to die immediately. His dialysis doc only wanted to give him Darvocet because his body could not metabolize the drugs as well as someone not in kidney failure. And ... he did not want to get him addicted!

Well .... I had to have a very frank discussion with his doc. I told him that he was going to die in a matter of months anyway, so who cares he is gets addicted???!!!!!!!! And, who cares if all the meds don't get filtered out daily?!!!!! The man was living with a dying leg that he was trying to put off the amputation as long as possible. Please help this dying man not suffer from his pain. After the little "fit" I threw, he relented and gave him some Oxycotin. My dad finally had some pain relief, and was sooooo very grateful to me for fighting for him. Of course, it was only 2-3 weeks later that he had to have the amputation, but do you realize how long 2-3 weeks is when you are in the most severe pain that a person could experience!

So, go prepared to fight for your mother. Her rights as a patient, that she does not deserve to just "exist" in bed every day of her remaining days in severe pain, all stressed out because of the pain. Let me know how it turns out.

Good luck, dear.

Hugs,
    Janet
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

bumping for dzk76r to see!
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

Since when is it the job of a pharmacist to question the doctor? I think the pharmacist overstepped his boundaries. I would have had a fit with both of them (pharmacist and doctor). And I would have changed pharmacies. What arrogance!
    Your assessment of the problem is exactly right dzk. Fight for your mom.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I respectfully disagree with you jake.

Doctors are very busy people, and are human, so they can make mistakes! And ... sometimes the doctor's nurses, nurse practictioners, and/or physician's assistants write the scripts and the doctor might sign it without fully comprehending what it read. (Well, I think NP's and PA's can write their own scripts now in most or all states.)

I would much rather my pharmacist question the doctor's script than end up with the wrong medicine, an incorrect dosage, or some problem that could end up terminal!!!

If you read my reply, I also encouraged her to go fight for her mother's rights--and the fact that she does not deserve to just "exist" in bed every day of her remaining days in severe pain.

But I still stick with my opinion that the pharmacist was just playing his part in the "checks and balances game" in the system. Applause for him--he may save someone's life someday--and it could be yours!!!

Janet