Lyme arthritis pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ajp, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,
    I tried to post on the Lyme message board, but it keeps coming back here. Hope it is ok to post here.
    My question is...is Lyme pain symmetrical?
    I was diagnosed with fibro and OA this past summer. But I am really wondering if it is Lyme. I have lots of pain and numbness in my face and nose. It just seems like it came on suddenly. Blood test ruled just about everything out. I am waiting for the Lyme result. But read that about half of the tests don't show Lyme. I didn't have a rash or a bite that I remember.Some of the recent studies suggest that a lot of fibro patients actually have Lyme.
    So I talked to my doctor last week, but she says that Lyme arthritis is not symmetrical. I have a lot of pain in both shoulders, neck and my thumbs and now this week my knees, so painful for a few hours in the mornings, cannot bend my legs. I look pretty funny trying to walk.
    Help!!!!! Anybody know? I know there are some Lyme people here. Thanks.
    Mindy
  2. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I have lyme arthritis and my pain in my hands and knees are symetrical, but asymetrical in other areas. Typically lyme is assymetrical but that doesn't mean it can't be symetrical. Rules just don't really apply.

You can get some great info over at lymenetdotorg

I hope you were tested through Igenex, and you should seek a lyme literate medical doctor.

Good luck,
    Dani
  3. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I live in Maine and as far as I can find there is only one Doctor is the whole state who treats Lyme and she is not taking patients.
    I'm not sure of the lab that is doing the test....does it matter? I have read that 50% of people test negative for Lyme. So I am really at a loss on what to do. Any advice?
    To me my symptoms sound like Lyme but my doctor kind of pooh-poohed the idea. Said "Lyme pain is not symmetrical." But I kind of think they diagnosed fibro, because nothing else showed up.
    And then again maybe I am grasping at straws, but I do get numbness in my face and nose and this appears to be a classic Lyme symptom.(from what I have read) Thanks again. Take care.
    Mindy