Lyme can be sexually transmitted??

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by liberty143, Oct 27, 2007.

1. liberty143

liberty143 New Member

ARE YOU SURE???
  2. Renae610

Renae610 New Member

can it be transferred to family members in a household,
    such as a kiss, eating utensils, when I pick up my daughter's (with Lymes) kleenexes when she has cried, etc..???...

Should spouses and family members be tested?

3. victoria

victoria New Member

if anyone else in your family has any problems, mentally or physically, I'd take them to a LLMD for a consult, and yes, probably test or try a trial of abx to see what happens.

The great mystery is why some people are known to have Lyme yet not show symptoms. Some may never have symptoms... others will have problems later in life when it's triggered by either aging, illness, or other type of trauma.

Sometimes it sort of a question of, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"... in our cases all too often it's, "who got it first?" Hard to know!

4. tvance

tvance New Member

Lyme is kin to Syphilis because of a gov. lab experiment called paper clip after WW II.

I read that it got out of the lab into the population and is very contagious like Syphilis.

An Arizona doctor (Dr. David Korn - "Identifying and Treating End Time Diseases") did the research and was published in the Tesla Extraordinary science magazine 2005
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2007]
  5. Renae610

Renae610 New Member

Thanks, Victoria & tvance!!!
    Much appreciated!!

~Renae

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2007]
  6. highcotton

highcotton New Member

His was an acute case and was treated immediately. He had the rash and a smart doc who put him on ABx immediately--his recovery only took about 3 months.

I do wonder though, when he gets really tired or run down if he is reliving some of his lyme symptoms or if he is 'just' stressed out.

Not sure if he got it from me sexually or if he got a bite.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2007]
  7. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Here is more info:

Edward L. McNeil, MB, BS, MD
    Punta Rassa, Florida

WILDER Home
    Quick Facts
    Lyme disease is transmitted by the bite of a tick, the main culprit, the deer tick. Other species of ticks and other insects, such as mosquitoes, can spread the disease by their bites.

In one bite, more than one disease organism can be injected into a victim. The Lyme disease organism is Borrelia burgdorferi which itself has 300 different varieties having different immunological properties. Other diseases caught from the same bite can be Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis and a variety of Rickettsial diseases and others are being recognised.

Lyme disease should be considered as a generic term for the multiple associated diseases.

Lyme disease can be a very serious illness and can attack virtually any system in the body.

If diagnosed early, it may be treated with antibiotics for at least 8 weeks for a chance to eliminate it. Unfortunately, although the victim may appear cured, symptoms may flare up again months or years later because the organisms can hide in places where antibiotics cannot reach or they can change into different forms that protect them.

If the diagnosis is missed and treatment not started immediately after the first symptoms (some victims have had the disease for 8 or more years before diagnosis), the disease is in the chronic form and most difficult to treat and few recover completely.

Few physicians know that Lyme disease can be fatal or that it is contagious. It can be spread sexually, eye and nasal secretions can infect others. Infected mothers who have not been treated can give birth to infected babies.

Important facts:
    ** Victims may not know they have been bitten, the nymph stage of the deer tick being so tiny it may not be felt or found.

** The longer a tick is attached, the more the chance of a larger dose of organisms being injected into the victim.

** The percentage of ticks carrying the diseases varies from region to region.

** Dogs, horses and other animals can contract Lyme disease and be carriers of the ticks.

** The classical description of Lyme disease mentions the appearance of a 'bulls-eye' rash, sometimes described as a 'target' rash within days or weeks of infection. Fewer than 50% of victims recall having such as rash and many other types of rash are seen in the disease.

** The first symptoms are usually flu-like with fever, headache, neck pain and stiffness that can be extremely severe not relieved by pain medication, and generalised aches and fatigue.

** If a doctor considers Lyme disease and orders some tests, and those tests return as equivocal or negative, the disease has not been ruled out. Blood tests are notably unreliable for any number of reasons concerned with the immunological status of the victim. It becomes a tragedy if a physician dismisses the diagnosis because of the tests.The clinical diagnosis (history, symptoms, fluctuation of those symptoms and changes in them, a physical examination (especially of the neural system) must be relied upon, not the blood tests, or many cases will be tragically missed.

** Weeks or months after the bite, pain may develop in various joints (some swelling) and muscles; neurological problems can appear often with some memory loss, sometimes severe; the heart can be involved as can the vision and hearing; Headaches are common and low-grade fevers can occur as well as subnormal temperatures.

** Lyme disease is frequently misdiagnosed as some other disease as it can mimic Multiple Sclerosis, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Alzheimer's disease, neuroses and psychoses.

** There are many examples of the foregoing diseases being relieved by courses of antibiotics proving the infective nature of the conditions. Symptoms may come and go or be replaced by new symptoms.

** If doctors feel they must rely on 'tests' for confirmation, there is a great need for a reliable determinative test. Lyme disease CAN be diagnosed using clinical ability (history, signs, symptoms, course and remissions), if tests are negative or equivocal.

8. amk33

amk33 New Member

I don't think that you should worry about picking up kleenexes or utensils. There is still a debate about sexual transmission, but this would be the most likely

form of transmission. Also, it is easier for the male to give it to the female via sexual intercourse (for obvious reasons).

Just to be safe, though, I never share any drinks or utensils with anyone else. I would hate to pass this on to anyone.
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

I sure don't 'share' as a general rule with anyone in my family. We know that my son has chronic lyme, suspect we all have it; yet my son and DH continue to take walks in the woods. So I certainly don't need a new infection in any case...

They think I'm weird for being touchy, but I don't think so! Why take an otherwise preventable chance, if at all possible?

That said, it's not always possible.

best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 12/04/2007]
  10. highcotton

highcotton New Member

Victoria, i dont care if i ever walk through the woods again as long as i live!

Or tall grass or leaves. If i can get well, i will stick to urban sidewalks.
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

It's hard for me to avoid, as I live in a rural area.

But imho, it's just about unavoidable anywhere these days... as deer are so overpopulated in suburban areas as well as rural.

And if one lives in a city, while one would be much less likely to get lyme, the ticks have been documented to hitch rides on migrating birds anyway... and they'll feed on whatever (mice, rats, chipmunks etc).

I think I read some research on the vectors, where it was found small mammals were likely even more responsible for the movement of the ticks than deer.... Wildlife is moving into the cities these days, at any rate.

[This Message was Edited on 12/05/2007]
  12. highcotton

highcotton New Member

my husband kids me about the "killer deer" i see all over our neighbohood, poor little things.

I am no city slicker, believe me. I grew up with horses,donkeys, goats, dogs, even a skunk --

but that doesnt stop my paranoia.

it's ridiculous, i know...