Lyme in blood supply

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by jarjar, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Lyme Disease Tainted Blood Suspected in National Blood Supply

(Feb. 12, 2007; Arlington, Texas) The eyes of Texas are closely watching the national debate surrounding Lyme disease. A storm is brewing. What was once believed to be an East coast disease has consistently been reported in all 50 states. According to Dr. Nick Harris of IgeneX labs in Palo Alto, California, Lyme disease is the fastest growing infectious disease in the United States, having surpassed AIDS in the rate of infection and transmission.

As the hotly debated controversy over the treatment and diagnosis of Lyme disease is being battled out in the medical communities across the country, Roy Goodloe, a Texas researcher has been on a quest of gathering information and case studies showing the high potential of a tainted national blood supply with the bacteria Borrelia Burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease.

Donna Reagan, president of the Texas Lyme Disease Association (TxLDA) and the local DFW Lyme disease support group leader said, "Just like AIDS in the early 1980's, there was resistance to national blood supply testing, due to the cost involved. In retrospect we can see how that was a bad idea. Lyme has now surpassed AIDS in rates of transmission. This is an issue we cannot afford to ignore. The Red Cross does not ask people if they have ever had Lyme disease, or even if they currently have Lyme disease when screening blood donors."

Goodloe, while doing research in dark field microscopy said, "My initial observation of spirochetes in blood samples was at a company in Richardson, Texas that treated Lyme patients hyperbarically. They were interested in obtaining a dark field scope to show patients the condition of their blood before treatment, and then we would show the results LIVE after treatment. Blood cells from non-infected samples were evenly distributed over the viewing field, while blood samples from Lyme patients were clumped together with large gaps in between. The spirochetes moving vigorously through these random blood samples was really spooky!"

Goodloe is scheduled to be the next speaker at the DFW Lyme disease support group meeting on Saturday February 17 where he will be giving a demonstration of the dark field microscope to previously diagnosed Lyme patients. Representatives of the American Red Cross and Carter Blood Centers are invited to observe the prominent danger that is lurking in our national blood supply
  2. KO-LD

KO-LD New Member

The Red Cross just called me yestday to tell me about a local blood drive. I explained that I had LD (she didn't even know what that was, I had to tell her)! I said I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to donate. She said she would check with her supervisor and let me know. When she called back she said she had checked, and that I could give as long as I wasn't on any medication!!! I have since called the local chapter of the Red Cross to discuss this further. So far they haven't called me back. I wonder if they ever will. Can you believe it!!!
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Does anyone remember there was a website offering a lot of money to get blood from anyone who had been dx'd with Lyme with WB? My son could've qualified, but I wasn't sure what it was about or who was doing it... but obviously people have been aware of this for a long time. Well, make that EDUCATED people?!

I've had hepatitis A, and routinely don't get asked about that, only C type; yet I've read over and over again at all official sites that if one has ever had any type of hepatitis to not give blood.

One wonders...

I am so happy I've never had to be given blood at least!
    Victoria

PS: Does anyone know if any of the northeastern states screen for lyme amongst blood donors?[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2007]
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

After my 4 phlebotomies for polycythemia vera (PV), a rare blood cancer, I thought long and hard about this issue. For awhile I was making too many blood cells. My blood was considered diseased and had to be destroyed.

Kind of bummed me out. I have O negative so I'm a universal donor. I've given over 3 gallons of blood in my lifetime. Once the hospital has you down with a rare or in demand blood type they will call you with sob stories about little babies or accident victims. Now I worry about unknowingly exposing others to my infections.

I had a bone marrow biopsy. They said it was not normal but they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I'm conviced spirochetes were weaving and bobbing in and out of my bone marrow. Since I had PV I wasn't elgible to donate my organs either.

Now that I know I have Borreliosis and coinfections, I would never donate blood or my organs. I've changed my driver's license since I couldn't live with knowing that someone else would go through the horror of this. At times I've wondered if there isn't another stealth virus involved with chronic fatigue and fibro that's not been discovered yet.

It kills me that after malaria you have to wait a year after treatment to donate blood. My dad had malaria from Gudalcanal. He had night sweats for over 60 years. He never felt he was cured.

I can't find in the criteria Borreliosis, Babesiosis, Erlichiosis, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Tuleremia, candia, or viruses like CMV, EBV, HHV, either.

Here's the criteria for the Red Cross.
    http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html
  5. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I am convinced that I got mine in my blood transfusion. I became "sick" in a different way after the transfusion, and never did get better.

Bunny
  6. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

I figured with fibro/EVB/high HHV6/Lyme/CFS no one would WANT my blood! or organs, for that matter.