LYME in KIDS - often DISMISSED as PSYCHIATRIC...!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Jan 28, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

got this from "Lymeinfo" list at yahoo, thought it was interesting and very applicable as many of us are having CFIDS/FM symptoms showing up in our kids as well...

Subject: Conference for Physicians on Pediatric Lyme in FL on Sat Jan 28 (G Rounds 27th)

Subject: mmi Conference for Physicians on Pediatric Lyme in FL on Sat Jan 28 (G Rounds 27th)

Conference to Educate Doctors on Pediatric Lyme Disease in St Peterburg on January 28th (Grand Rounds on Friday 1-27 at 12:30)

A conference for medical professionals titled "Current Controversies in Pediatric Lyme Disease" will be held for one day only, Saturday, January 28, 2006 at All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL, USA. Registration is complimentary and continuing medical education (CME) credits are offered for the attendees but space is running out quickly.

One of the key speakers at the "Current Controversies in Pediatric Lyme Disease" conference will be Dr. Brian Fallon, MD, associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and the director of the Columbia Lyme Research Program, at the New York State Psychiatric Institute. Dr. Fallon has published and lectured widely on the neuropsychiatric effects of Lyme Disease.

According to the Columbia Lyme Research Program, one of the big problems with Lyme disease is that the children may be mistakenly diagnosed as having depression, irritability and oppositional behavior.

Many claim that misdiagnosis of Lyme disease is a big problem and can result in improper treatment of the child. One such incident was presented in hearings held in February 2004 by the FDA to review the use of antidepressants to treat children.

In those hearings a concerned parent, Lisa Van Syckel, told how her daughter, Michelle, was placed on Paxil, a drug known to cause severe reactions in children if applied inappropriately. Michelle had been diagnosed with depression and anorexia nervosa when she actually had Lyme Disease.

"My daughter self-mutilated, became psychotic, became violent, attempted suicide twice," Lisa told the panel.
    Van Syckel said that her daughter had suffered greatly, "all because she was misdiagnosed", and asked the panel to, "Please have respect for our children".

Dr. Charles Ray Jones, a noted pediatrician focusing on Lyme disease in children, states that although Lyme disease is most commonly transmitted by the bite of a tick it can also be transmitted from a mother to her unborn child (in utero) and to young children through breast milk.

"These children, frequently floppy with poor muscle tone, are irritable and ill early in their lives with frequent fevers, increased incidence of ear and throat infections, pneumonia, joint and body pain."

"Lyme disease has a profound negative impact on a child's life, cognitive function and ability to perform maximally in school."

Dr Jones says, "When Lyme disease is a possible diagnosis, the children should be evaluated by a Lyme knowledgeable physician who will continue antibiotic therapy until all Lyme symptoms resolve."

Another speaker at the "Current Controversies in Pediatric Lyme Disease" conference will be Dr. Steven Phillips, MD. Dr. Phillips is a practicing physician and is past president of the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS), the only professional medical organization in the world devoted exclusively to tick-borne illnesses. ILADS is dedicated to providing a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.

Dr. Phillips says that even though Lyme disease is caused by a complex bacterial agent carried and spread by ticks, "The Lyme bacteria have the ability to evade immune destruction, entrench themselves deep within tissues and migrate throughout the body causing a multi-system illness that can be baffling to many physicians."

"The result is that one tiny tick bite can cause innumerable symptoms running the gamut from muscle and joint pain to heart disease to neurological and even psychiatric illness," states Phillips.

Lyme patients may be misdiagnosed as having other serious diseases such as lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and psychiatric disorders.

"The take-home message is," says Dr. Phillips, "Lyme disease may be hard to diagnose and difficult, if not impossible, to fully eradicate if not caught early."

The "Current Controversies in Pediatric Lyme Disease" conference is mainly focused on the medical professional and offers continuing medical education (CME) credits for the attendees. Optional "Grand Rounds on Pediatric Lyme" is scheduled for 12:30 - 1:30 pm Friday January 27. The main conference is being held Saturday, January 28.
    -------------------

Having had my son misdiagnosed as having psychiatric problems when he has really had Lyme Disease, and very bad reactions to all psychotropic meds, this is really important to me to get this message out!

ALL THE BEST
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Victoria, thank you for posting this article. We all need to become more aware of the far-reaching effects of lyme disease.

It's important for our pediatricians, psychologists, school counselors, psychiatrists, to become educated on this subject.

I was a school social worker/counselor on several elementary school "Care Teams". These teams were made up of the principal, school nurse, counselors, teachers and the parents of children being "triaged".

I can't tell you how many children with behavior problems were suspected of having ADD, ADHD, ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), CD (conduct disorder), depression, etc. Drugs were definately promoted, of course through a doctor. At the time I had no idea that Lyme could cause neurological, cognitive, and psychiatric problems.

I received a master's degree in school guidance and counseling. We studied psychology and behavioral disaorders. Lyme was never mentioned.

Lyme should definately be a part of one's studies in medical school, psychiatry, etc.

I hope that your son is doing better at this time. I'm so sorry that you all had to go through such a difficult time.

Best wishes always,
    Hopeful4
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks Hopeful4!