Lyme people...please help

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by ajp, May 22, 2006.

1. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi All,

I am on day 5 of my antibiotics and I am so sick. I am in so much pain, even my teeth hurt. Also so sick to my stomach. Anyone know what helps with the nausea? I guess this is a herx and I am hating this. I can't live a year like this.

My husband and I own a business and I have to be here and all I want to do I curl up in bed. My doctor is not in today, but I will be calling him tomorrow. I am supposed to double the dose next week and the way I feel now,I can't imagine doing that. I knew this was going to be hard, but I did no expect to be hit this hard.

Anybody? Help please?

Love Mindy
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

to relieve it tho, well, that may be hard doing a traditional abx protocol... hopefully your doctor will be able to help with suggestions. The only thing I know is that plaquenil is supposed to help mitigate some of the joint aching,,, If I remember correctly, what exaclty might help may also depend on which abx you are taking.

Sure sorry I cannot offer any suggestions. My heart goes out to you... my son was as bad the first time he herxed, was in bed most of a month... but for that 'holiday' week off in between taking meds he felt really good.

take care,
    Victoria

3. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Hi Mindy,

Are you taking a probiotics? If so make sure you take them 2 hours before or after antibiotics.

Ginger sometimes helps my daughter with the nausea. At vitacostdotcom they have great prices. We use the gingerforce. You can search that on vitacost. She uses Nelson's arsen alb and nuxvom for her stomach issues too. They are homeopathic. Try some ginger tea.

As far as the herx. I do have to say my daughters first herx was the worse. Drinks lots of fluids. You might want to try 2 fresh lemons squeezed in water. Drink this through a straw to protect your teeth. It may help alkalizing your system.

You will not get well without rest. While I know work is important your health is more important. Listen to your body and don't push. My adult son with lyme just pushed himself and lost a great deal of progress he made. I know you own your own business but you won't be working at all if you don't rest.

Hang in there. My daughter has a long road to go but is better than she was a year ago. My son has just started this lyme road 6 months ago.

Gentle hugs come your way.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

there is a lemon juice/olive oil drink you can makethat is supposed to help with herxes... also a bath with epsom salts & peroxide...

the following is from rheumatic.org:
    --------------------
    Oxidative therapy may be useful in reducing these symptoms. Garth Nicholson, M.D., director of The Institute for Molecular Medicine in Huntington Beach, California recommends peroxide baths (four 16 oz. bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 20 inch bath or Jacuzzi, with 2 cups of Epsom salt.

Patients soak in hot water plus the Epsom salt for five minutes until pores are open, then add the peroxide solution. This should be repeated three times a week at bedtime.

No vitamins should be taken 8 hours before bath.

The peroxide can also be directly applied to the skin after a hot shower/tub. The peroxide should be left on for 5 minutes and then washed off.

Another useful suggestion from Dr. Nicholson -
    blend one whole lemon, then add 1 cup fruit juice or water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Strain and drink liquid.

hope this helps, it all had slipped my mind.

Victoria

5. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I am feeling slightly better today. I had a bad painful nite. I am sure it was a herx and was no way prepared for it to be that bad.

I have to keep telling myself "this too shall pass."

I have read that a lot of the time the first herx is the worst and others tend to be somewhat better. I hope so.

Again, thanks to all for your support and ideas. I so appreciate it.

love Mindy
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so awful.

Which antibiotic are you taking and at what dose? Sometimes a particular ABX is hard for a particular individual. For example, I could not tolerate Doxycycline. It gave me an intense stomach ache. So my doctor switched me to Azithromycin.

In addition, some people just have a very hard time tolerating any ABX.

Since you've just started the ABX, you are stirring up the beast, and killing it off, releasing toxins. It's possible that your "lyme load" is high right now, causing a more miserable herx.

When I first started the treatment, it took me awhile to move into the herx, and it was very intense. By that time, I had been on the ABX and herbal meds for 2 months.

So, my doctor suggested that I try "pulsing" by taking the ABX 3 weeks on, one week off. I was extremely relieved to do this. It reduced the intensity of the herx to a bearable level. It reduced my misery so that I could function better.

In addition, try the suggestions above, the detox baths, the lemon-water. Another thing that's helped me a lot is Burbur. It's an herbal tincture used for detoxing, it's part of the Cumanda, Samento protocol, but I don't see why it couldn't be used on it's own.

I take 8 drops, 4 times per day, after meals and at bedtime. This has also helped reduce the herx.

Yes, we all have to herx. But the idea that we must be intolerably sick from herxing in order to get well is false. In fact, it can impede our progress.

Please discuss your concerns with your doctor. I also can not imagine you doubling your dose next week, it doesn't sound human.

Have you gone to lymenet dot org? There are many informed people over there who could be of further help to you.

Let us know what your doctor says, and how you're feeling.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  7. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do belong to lymenet and they have been a great help to me also. I am on Cefuroxime 500mg. I do feel slightly better today.

My doctor is away till next week, but I think I will see how I am doing before I double the dose. I keep saying this, but I was so unprepared for the extent of the herx. I mean my doctor and I talked about it and he said I probably will get worse before I get better, but I just could not believe how hard it hit me. I had about triple the pain of what I normally have. I had places hurting that I didn't know could hurt. LOL!

You all have helped with the replies. My grown son said "just be strong Mom" and I said "I'm not that strong"and he said "yes you are." So this too will pass.

Love Mindy
  8. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I always back off on doseage if herx get too uncomfortable and slowly work my way back up.
    You can take smaller amounts or skip a day...whatever do not continue take full dose if you keep having major herxes. You can do harm with a perma herx.
    Glad to hear you are doing better today.

jay
  9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Some people use Alkabase , which can be ordered . I tried burbur and the lemon / olive oil concoction and alka seltzer helped me personally lots MORE . I may try the alkabase also that has been used by others .