Lyme Study in Annals of Internal Medicine Flawed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dontlikeliver, Aug 17, 2005.

1. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

from ilads dot org

Lyme Study in Annals of Internal Medicine Flawed

ILADS RESPONSE TO ARTICLE

Dr. Andrea Gaito, M.D., F.A.C.R.
    Immediate Past President, International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society
    May, 2003

The article entitled “Duration of Antibiotic Therapy for Early Lyme Disease“ recently published in the Annals of Internal Medicine is flawed in its methodology and in its findings. The collective experience of ILADS physicians has shown that 10 days of therapy has consistently proven insufficient in preventing the development of systemic manifestations of Lyme disease. Our experience proves most patients who are treated with short duration antibiotics return for repeat therapy when their symptoms do not improve.

The study failed on many levels. As the report points out, it excluded “all patients with underlying conditions that might interfere with the evaluation on follow up.” Additionally, many of the outcome measures were rendered, based on the clinical observation of objective criteria, which is not always present in Lyme disease patients. The article also failed to disclose the nature of the “unrelated illnesses” that more than half of these patients suffered. These patients were then treated with a second course of antibiotics. This insufficient information leaves many important questions unanswered. Furthermore, the study fails to mention which antibiotics were used and whether they had any activity towards Lyme disease. And, finally, more than half of the patients in this study were retreated over the ensuring 30 months under the guise of other diseases.

The only conclusion this study demonstrated is that, indeed, short duration antibiotic therapy warrants retreatment.

The better title for this inadequate and misleading study would be:

“Short-term therapy for Early Lyme Disease yields treatment failure in 50% of patients.”

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Receive any training in chronic infections. When my mycoplasma infection was active, I received the usual 10 day course of ABX. When it didn't help, they drew my blood and saw the antibodies to the mycoplasmas and switched my ABX for another 10 day course. They didn't realize that I should have been on the Doxy for six months. That was almost 15 years ago. Today, they should know better with the Lyme, mycoplasmas, and any other CWD bacteria.

It's a hellova lot harder to get rid of them once they get a strong foothold in the body.

Not to be an alarmist, but the biggest threat to our health may be coming soon out of Asia with the epidemic of avian viruses there. These viruses mutate after infection from a sick bird to a form which can be passed from person to person. There is a big push to get a vaccine ready before this epidemic spreads to the West. They are vaccinating domestic birds in the Asian countries but it may be too late.

We already have our West Nile disease spreading more every year here. I just hope that the overactive side of our immune systems are what will react to these viruses if they come our way.

Love, Mikie