Lyme Test Results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chrisgirl, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Chrisgirl

Chrisgirl New Member

I just got a call from my PCP's nurse and she said my Lyme test came back normal. I asked her what test was done and she said EIA with Reflex IgG IgM Western Blot. Is this the standard test, or is this the one I've read about that is more accurate? She didn't say anything about Igenex.

2. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

I was tested 3xs with Quest lab, all three were negitive.

I had been in the woods one day with my dog and got bit by a tick. I did have a full blown rash and flu symptoms.

To make along story short, it took 5 doctors and 5 months to diagnose me properly.

After going on antibiotics for 2 weeks, and off for one week, we retested for Lyme using the Igenex lab and it

finally showed up Positive, even cdc positive.

I am so thankful to Igenex, you have to pay out of pocket,
    but it is well worth it. Good luck

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2008]
  3. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

Please keep in mind that you took cipro and cipro is well known to cause all the problems you are having. It is a very good idea to rule out other disease states, but once you have done that you need to do your best to go on living versus obsessing about the cause and searching in vain for a cure. If it was the cipro, time is the only healer. You have been tested for lyme, you are negative. Don't try to force a positive test--there is such a thing as a false positive. So, if you have one, two, three, etc tests and one does come up positive for one band, don't be thrown off and believe you necessarily have lyme after other tests that were negative. In your case, now that you have been nailed by cipro, taking other ABX on a long term basis for a disease you probably don't have is a very, very risky proposition.

You must consider all angles.

Good luck!

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Did you have symptoms before you ever took Cipro? I sure did, I'm just guessing that most of us older ones at least did.

btw, here's some interesting bonafide research someone posted in response to a flippant article written in the Washington Post last year about chronic lyme research done by the IDSA naysayers:

lymelite7 (5/16/2007) wrote:
    The take-away message from Jason Feifer's article on Lyme disease ("Combat Zone") is that persistent infection with the Lyme spirochete does not exist. He relies upon the "experts" at the Infectious Disease Society of America for this conclusion.

However, these "experts" themselves have been on the forefront of publishing medical studies documenting the survival of the Lyme bacteria past multiple rounds of antibiotics. In 1992 and 1993, Mark Klempner published two studies in the Journal of Infectious Diseases documenting how Lyme "spirochetes can survive antibiotic treatment through intracellular sequestion within fibroblasts" making them "among the small number of bacteria that can cause chronic infection by localizing within host cells where they remain sequestered from some antimicrobial agents" (1993;167:1074-1081).

Or as he stated in the same journal
    "The Lyme disease spirochete . . . can be recovered long after initial infection, even from antibiotic-treated patients, indicating that it resists eradication by host defense mechanisms and antibiotics . . . several eukaryotic cell types provide the Lyme disease spirochete with a protective environment contributing to its long-term survival" (1992; 166(2):440-4).

Or as Raymond Dattwyler (also an IDSA "expert") put it in Reviews of Infectious Diseases, 1989 11(6)S6; S1494-8,
    "Lyme borreliosis is a chronic infectious disease caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi."

Or as Drs. Dattwyler and John Halperin (both of IDSA) described in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1998 (319(22): 1441-6),
    "We studied 17 patients who had presented with acute Lyme disease and received prompt treatment with oral antibiotics, but in whom chronic Lyme disease subsequently developed."

Or as Dr. Halperin wrote in Neurology in 1992 ((42):43-50),
    "In many instances continued infection appears to be essential for symptoms to persist, no matter how small the number of organisms, as antimicrobial therapy is generally followed by clinical improvement."

The title of a 1990 American Journal of Medicine (88:21-26) article by the much-quoted Dr. Gary Wormser and Robert Nadelman says it all:
    "Isolation of Borrelia burgdorferi from the blood of seven patients with Lyme disease" four months after treatment!

Or as Gerold Stanek (also of IDSA) put it in the British Journal of Dermatology in 2001,
    "The relapses she repeatedly suffered despite initially successful antibiotic treatment could be related to the observation that Borrelia may possibly be able to remain dormant in certain tissue compartments, thus escaping bactericidal antibiotic activity" (144(2):387-392).

Or as Allan Steere, guru of IDSA on Lyme, told the American Journal of Medicine in 1995 (88:4A-44S-51S),
    “Similarly [as in tertiary syphilis or tuberculoid leprosy], the antigenic stimulus in Lyme arthritis would appear to be a small number of live spirochetes, demonstrated here by monoclonal antibodies, which may persist in the synovial lesion for years (p.494)".

Or as Allan Steere, wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine (1990 Nov 22; 323(21):1438-44),
    "The likely reason for relapse is failure to eradicate the spirochete . . . This last article is one of many studies that show continuing symptoms are most likely due to persistence of the spirochete."

Indeed, many articles have been published before AND since 1990 demonstrating the chronicity of Lyme, by members of the IDSA Lyme "team" and many other reputable scientists.

So, are there any fact-checkers at the Washington Post?

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  5. Chrisgirl

Chrisgirl New Member

I will ask about the CD57 test when I go on Thurs.

Victoria - I did have mild tingling of hands and feet and some joint pain about ten years ago for just a few months. No where near the severity I'm having now or any of the other neurological symptoms I am experiencing.

Thank you both for the info.

6. frango2

frango2 New Member

is the C3a and C4a test done by LabCorp. These are anaphylatoxins aassociated with Lyme disease.