lyme test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dverre, Aug 22, 2005.

1. dverre

dverre New Member

Had a lyme test when they tested the first came out positve so they tested again and that one came out negative.

Does anyone know of a reason why this would happen.

I always thought it was how they tested the blood which made the difference is that true

dverre
  2. lilbird

lilbird New Member

My understand is that the tests for lyme are very unreliable. false positves and false neg are common. Do you know what test was used?

Cathy
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

are unreliable . However , I believe they almost always
    tend to lean toward being false NEGATIVES . I would insist on an Igenex Labs test or a Bowen labs test . You may very well have lyme . I do and I was in shock to find out .
  4. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Annxyz what lab tested you? was this your only test?
    I have had 4 neg. lyme tests from labcorp. I think I am going to insist the dr. test through Igenex

Cathy
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

False negatives are the problem, and they happen because poor quality, but mostly because the Lyme spirochytes are cagey and mutagenic and go into hiding. they have a better affinity for tissue than for blood, which makes them very hard to detect in blood tests.

I don't understand why tissue biopsies aren't done instead.

So called false negatives, are usually not that the person doesn't really carry Lyme, but more that the person may not have an active infection from it that makes them symptomatic.

Jeanne
  6. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Tests for lyme disease are a two part test. The first test can produce false positives and is only used as a screening test. The second test the Western blot is more definative. This is the common protocol for lyme testing.

Take care, Sally
  7. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I go to the FFC in Atlanta and my doctor told me she only uses 2 labs in the country for Lyme testing.

One is Igenex and the other is Bowen. You will get a more definite answer with these labs.

Sandy
  8. dverre

dverre New Member

thanks everyone for the input I am going to ask my doctor when i see her about all of this

Once again thanks alot

dverre