Lyme testing any good after 10 years of suspected bite?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by lenasvn, Dec 8, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

As I look back I think the possibility of a Lyme
    infection started 10 yrs ago. Unless I really do have only FM/CFS, but I want to know for sure before I put the possibility of
    LYme to rest.

Will a Western Blot from igenex detect Lyme so many eyars later? I am pretty sure Elisa wouldn't, it was negative for me anyway.

Anyone knows?

Many hugs!
  2. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I was bitten a lot while growing up. My body tried to fight it off but it slowly started moving thru my body. It showed up in a couple of places such as tinnitus while I was in my twenties. In my thirties it finally slammed me down and I was diagnosed with chronic EBV.

In some people it is a slow disease and some in some cases people get ill earlier.

So yes to your question. I showed up positive by Igenex after eons later. Not by CDC standards which most people don't. But by Lyme doctor standards.
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thanks, good to know!
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Certain people find they only get positives on any of the test 'bands' on the Western Blot after taking abx for a while;

apparently the abx can quickly force it into the bloodstream, as opposed to hiding out in the body's tissues... in fact some LLMDs have asked a pt to take abx for a week or 2 before taking the test for that reason.

In-vitro testing has shown Bb immediately 'morphing' so that it can enter tx & blood cells to evade the immune system.

Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  5. bsyounges

bsyounges New Member

i got bit approximately 15 years ago. have been MISdiagnosed as CFS and fibro for the last 6. tested cdc positive 4 years ago and the duck told me it was a "false positive" and that i did not have lyme.

had a LLMD test me with the igenex western blot 3 months ago and tested positive and am finally getting treated. my LLMD told me that in the last 5 years ALL of the cfs/fibro patients he has had have tested positive for lyme, gotten treatment and gotten better. not all 100% but substantially better.

if you settle for the cfs/fibro diagnosis there is no help in site. just drugs to help you tolerate the symptoms. if you pursue the lyme diagnosis and you are positive, it is a long road but you can and will get better and get your life back.

good luck!
    deb
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I haven't checked back for a while and was happy to findf more helpful replies! Thanks bunches, I really appreciate it!
  7. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i agree strongly with bsyounges's reply.
    get tested.
    once i got a cfs/fibro diagnosis i was happy ...that faded after about 5 minutes. i realized i didnt want to SETTLE with that diagnosis if there was a POSIBILITY it might be something treatable.

GET TESTED VIA WESTERN BLOT.
    DONT GO TO QUEST. IGENEX OR I THINK ITS BOWEN.

IF YOU SHOW UP POSITIVE....YOU DESERVE TO GET TREATMENT. AT LEAST THERE IS HOPE...that you could get your old self back.

I start treatment in mid january. im very nervous for many different reasons ...but its time. Im suffering with everything from fatigue, dysautonomia, dizziness, anxiety, heat intolerance, nausea, etc etc.

And you MUST get tested for co-infections along w/ Lyme.
    Most people who have lyme have at least one co-infection. If that goes undetected your treatment for lyme is almost useless.

GOOD LUCK!

8. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i agree strongly with bsyounges's reply.
    get tested.
    once i got a cfs/fibro diagnosis i was happy ...that faded after about 5 minutes. i realized i didnt want to SETTLE with that diagnosis if there was a POSIBILITY it might be something treatable.

GET TESTED VIA WESTERN BLOT.
    DONT GO TO QUEST. GO THROUGH IGENEX OR I THINK ITS BOWEN.

IF YOU SHOW UP POSITIVE....YOU DESERVE TO GET TREATMENT. AT LEAST THERE IS HOPE...that you could get your old self back.

I start treatment in mid january. im very nervous for many different reasons ...but its time. Im suffering with everything from fatigue, dysautonomia, dizziness, anxiety, heat intolerance, nausea, etc etc.

And you MUST get tested for co-infections along w/ Lyme.
    Most people who have lyme have at least one co-infection. If that goes undetected your treatment for lyme is almost useless.

GOOD LUCK!
    OH....my Elisa was negative too! I was Igenex positive (not cdc) and i was exposed to lyme anywhere from 2 to 20 years ago! Im 32 now.

Good luck