Lyme Tick Removal featured on Oprah show

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by munch1958, May 17, 2007.

1. munch1958

munch1958 Member

A woman wrote in to ask about tick removal after getting the head of a tick stuck in her tush. Dr Oz explained how to remove a tick properly on the Oprah show. Dr. Oz said lots of people are getting Lyme disease.
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I heard about this. Did you actually see the show? Some people were annoyed with Oprah's tick in the butt comments. Thought she was insensitive.

I'm just glad that more word is getting around about Lyme.

Hope you are doing well.

Dar
  3. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Use vaseline or what?
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

He said to take tweezers and go as close to the skin as possible, pull the tick straight out. The poison is in the body, and if the tick is ticked off (by burning, vasoline,etc.) it'll squirt into you, giving you infection. So, clasping it in front of the body prevents the poison from being injected.

He even said no big deal if the head is left in, because the viruses are not there, but I wouldn't tolerate that!

Oprah was trying to be humerous, so no one would get bored. Her aim is to keep it interesting, no matter what's being discussed. She does it with most health subjects being discussed. Of course, if it's one of her own pet causes, she does keep it serious.
  5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I recorded it on my DVR and watched it again. The question was sent in to Dr. Oz for their monthly show. Now that they've opened the door on health topics I'm going to send in lots of questions.

The woman with the tick in her tush said she tried gas, ice, nail polish to remove it. Then finally went to the ER.

The answers to the quiz question on tick removal were:
    a) Burn it
    b) pluck it
    c) suffocate in petrolum jelly
    d) nail polish remover then ice

The answer was B pluck it. Dr. Oz said not to burn it or use gas or other chemicals because it will regurgitate it's body contents.

I've sat on a bee and got stung at the community swimming pool. I could sympathize with the jokes Oprah was making. It was VERY embarassing to go to the first aid office. The teenage kid in charge wanted to treat the bee sting but I said I'd rather do it myself.

Oprah probably has no idea about the controversial nature of Lyme disease. In the early 1990s, I was on her show for a segment on women's health issues. Most people don't realize that the audience is peppered with people that are very knowledgeable about the topic they are discussing.

You know how it is when you first become pregnant? or start trying? Every where you go there is another pregnant lady. This is happening to me with Lyme.

Anybody heard the Brad Paisley song Bugs? The lyrics mention checking for ticks.