lyme vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbs1234, Sep 9, 2008.

1. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

From Lymeinfo.net, --

?On February 26, 2002, GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of the Lyme vaccine "LYMErix", pulled the vaccine off the market, blaming poor sales. However, many vaccine victims, Lyme patients and advocacy groups believe the reasons for its withdrawal are much more complicated. Research continues toward a new vaccine, and currently there is no vaccine available. While an effective method of prevention is important, given the concerns about the previous vaccine, LymeInfo urges caution in the event that a new vaccine becomes available."

Sounds to me like the drug maker couldn't make any money off the vaccine because there was not market for it.

However, it also sounds like some in the lyme community believe there is a vast conspiracy (think Hillary and the vast right wing conspiracy) that mysteriously saw to it that the vaccine was pulled from the shelves. Then, how about the stories regarding the inability of the vast the majority of medical professionals in this country to properly diagnose lyme, but a small subset of LLMD's with superior medical skills are the only docs that can properly diagnose lyme.

Beware of conspiracy theories, overly aggressive treatment by LLMD's and THE ONLY lab in the world that has the proper blood test for detecting lyme.

2. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

Elizabeth C. Hsia *, James B. Chung, J. Sanford Schwartz, Daniel A. Albert
    University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

email: Elizabeth C. Hsia (hsia@mail.med.upenn.edu)

*Correspondence to Elizabeth C. Hsia, Division of Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania, Maloney Building, Suite 504, 3600 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104

Dr. Hsia's work was supported by a Physician Scientist Development Award from the Arthritis Foundation.

Conference: 63rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology, Boston, MA, November 1999

Abstract

Objective
    A vaccine for Lyme disease was approved in 1998 for use in the US. Given the high cost of the vaccine, the low risk of Lyme disease in many areas, and the largely curable nature of the disease, the cost-effectiveness of the vaccine in various risk groups is uncertain. This study was undertaken to examine the cost-effectiveness of the Lyme disease vaccine and the factors that influence its cost-effectiveness.

Methods
    We constructed a Markov decision-analysis model to evaluate the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of the Lyme disease vaccine in populations at various levels of risk for the disease. The probabilities of clinical events and costs were estimated from reports in the literature. Sensitivity analyses assessed the impact of potential variations of parameters on model results.

Results
    At the average national incidence of Lyme disease (0.0067%), the incremental cost-effectiveness of vaccination was $1,600,000 per case averted when a yearly booster was given for 10 years after the standard initial vaccination regimen of 3 inoculations at 0, 1, and 12 months. For populations with an annual Lyme disease incidence of 1% (the incidence in several well-defined geographical areas of the US), the incremental cost-effectiveness was $9,900 per case averted. Disease incidence had to exceed 10% before vaccination with yearly boosters became both more effective and more cost saving than no vaccination.

Conclusion
    The Lyme disease vaccine is cost-effective only for individuals who live in areas where Lyme disease is endemic and who are frequently exposed to ticks.

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This belongs on the Lyme board. It's enough that others sometimes clog the first page of the board with Lyme posts!

I know you feel you are on a bit of a crusade (I have fought many good fights, I don't mean that as a slight) but there are others on opposing crusades here and this will simply be an invitation to continue this argument on this board to the detriment of those who wish to discuss other things.

I know no-one much reads the Lyme boards which I think is a real pity.

Food for thought...

Peace,
    Rafiki

PS Hey, maybe if this is taken to the Lyme board those aggressively promoting the Lyme issue will feel the need to defend their position over there!