lymph gland massage or drainage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

There was an article about CFS research in the New Scientist magazine a few weeks back (there is a copy of it on here if you want to read it - seach on "CFS article New Scientist".

In the article one the researches, who is an osteopath mentioned that he works with CFS patients (about 1000) and he said all of them had swollend lymph glands. He recommended having these massaged to proivide some relief.

Has anyone here heard of or done this? If so, what results did you get? I'm keen to give it a go,but I dont know who to ask?

Thanks, take care
    Michelle
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I had lymphatic drainage massage once. NEVER AGAIN.

I was miserable the entire time it was being done and went into a horrible flare right after.

I had far better results with a hot stones massage. I felt good during and after and no flares.

Maybe it works well for some people, but I wasn't one of them.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Curie,

The massage is supposed to help remove toxins from your system. Do you think you felt bad because of the toxins being released, or was it something different?
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

bioman -
    No pain, no gain is one thing.

Absolute misery is another thing entirely.

Subjecting myself to that over and over again was just masochistic.

I am one of those people that often has an "opposite" effect to bodywork treatments. The ones that are supposed to help, don't and the ones that are less intense DO help.

I'll try just about anything at least once. But LDM just wasn't the technique for me. But I would certainly encourage anyone who hasn't tried it, to try it if you have the opportunity.

You never know what MIGHT help if you don't try it.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. redtex

redtex New Member

a month. i enjoyed it, but it did not help any more than regular massage. i do not think it is anything more than a regular massage. the guy told me he could tell i was holding too much water. he said i should not drink as much water as i was drinking. everyone else says we need to drink lots of water. it also cost $60 for an hour . i have not been back.
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I had it done some years ago and also went into a big flare afterwards. Getting it done was OK but... I've never tried again, although I have read good things about it.
    I guess it's like so many things, some get help from it, some don't!

Kathy.
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm actually really interested in this too! I met someone who said they had a friend here in the town that I live in that specializes in lymphatic massage and I have their name and number ... but I just haven't seemed to call yet.

I'm doing somewhat better (in a bit of a recovery process I think) so I'm hesitant to start something new if what I'm doing is already working ... but I still have some lingering issues, so maybe it is time to give it a try.

If I do end up making an appointment, I'll let you know how to goes. :)
  8. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I wrote up a paper on Lymphatic Massage that was included in a handout at an FM conference in NY in the '90s. I'll try to be brief here.. :)

The lymphatic system is like a series of pipes with "one-way" gates. Normally, everday movement keeps these gates moving fluids through the body where the toxins are trapped in the lymph nodes and excreted by the body.

If you are not active enough, or are especially full of toxins, these "gates" do not push the fluids through the lymphatic system properly and swelling in the lymph nodes can occur.

You can also feel hardening in the "pipes" if the toxins build up enough. That's what happened to me because I had been so debilitated by fatigue and orthostatic intolerance that my lymph system had almost quit functioning. My massage therapist actually had me feel the hard "lines" where the blockage was happening in my inner thighs.

She was VERY gentle at all of my sessions, but within 36 hours of the first one, it was like I had a bad case of food poisoning. All of the toxins that had accumulated over the years were gently pushed through the "gates" and into the excretory system. She advised that I drink LOTS of water prior to and after the therapy.

It took a couple of days to feel better, but a lot of the "fog" started lifting and I felt better than I had in a while. The "rebound" from subsequent sessions was never as bad as the first one, and as I became more active, I didn't need it any longer. I had about three months of therapy, once a week.

Hope this helps,

- julie (is free!)

I know it sounds cruel
    and it's really not like me
    but you've put me in a place
    I really never thought I'd be.. - Danielle Peck
  9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I had lymphatic drainage massage once several years ago, while vacationing at a spa. I had been there several days and had already had a couple of conventional massages, a soak in a mineral bath, and maybe a body wrap (don’t remember the exact order of things now). Since I was doing all of this body work, I had been drinking a lot of fluid. Since I was on vacation, I had been getting a lot of rest and moderate exercise. I had also been eating fairly healthfully.

I had only a 1/2 hour lymphatic drainage massage. I found it to be the most relaxing massage that I had ever had. I was not expecting this and commented about it to the massage therapist. She that was because it reset the ________ nervous system. Of course, I cannot remember what part of the nervous system she said. I did not have any negative effects. Since reading that some people with CFS have an up-regulated autonomic nervous system, I have wondered if lymphatic drainage massage would help that.

I have CFS only (did not know it at that time), no FM. For those with CFS, I would recommend lymphatic drainage massage with the following caveats:
    1. Drink plenty of water at least 24 hours before and 24 hours after.
    2. Allow for extra sleep after.
    3. Start with 1/2 hour.
    4. If you have never had massage, it might be good to start with one or more regular massage sessions.
  10. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Well, lots of good info to go on. I think I'll give it a go. My task for tomorrow will be to try and find a therapist in my area.

Thanks all
    Michelle
  11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm curious to know if anyone has experimented with lymph therapy followed by colonics. i've considered trying lymph massage but it seems it would make sense to follow up a colonic or enema to move all the dislodged toxins out of your system. that or a long session in the sauna?

eddie