Lymphatic drainage caused flare??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by robbiebaby, Apr 27, 2003.

1. robbiebaby

robbiebaby New Member

I recently had a series of lymphatic drainages ( twice a week for 2+weeks) nad from what I read, this could have brought on the Flare -- which is really bad, but improving.

I understand the purpose of lymphatic drainage and it sounds like it did its job because G-d knows I was toxic! lol
    But should I continue with treatment? I know it was working, but is there any harm in continuing in a week or so?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This treatment should be done gently and slowly. Otherwise, the lymph nodes get irritated and you have a bad Herx-like effect as the toxins are dumped into the system.

One way to do this is to hang on a foam noodle in the deep end of a pool and let the water pressure and movement drain the nodes. You can also gently, and I do mean gently, massage them with your hand.

Love, Mikie
  3. robbiebaby

robbiebaby New Member

Mikie, I don't know what that is.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A true Herxheimer Effect happens when you take medicine or treatment which kills off pathogens which cause a toxic reaction in the body until they can be excreted. It can make one feel as though one has a flu bug or is in a flare.

The toxins released from the lymph nodes are basically the same thing but I don't think this technically qualifies as a true Herx even though the effect is the same.

Love, Mikie