Lymphatic Massage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Has anyone ever had a lymphatic massage? Or does anyone have any knowledge about this form of treatment?

I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd like to know if people think it's a good idea and also what to expect.

I've recently been herxing from being on an antiviral and also think that the drug is a bit taxing for my system (perhaps especially my liver). I'm especially interested in whether lymphatic massage might help with that.

Thanks much for your comments!
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I'm not sure, but I think there are several different types of massage that are specifically called lympatic massage. Most of what I have heard labeled as lymphatic massage is the use of a very light touch. I have had the light touch done and found it no help to my specific problems. I personally have seen 7 different massage therapists. I've been told by them all, that massage, in general, helps the lymphatic system flow better. I have CFS but not Fibro. I see a message therapist to work out specific problems with my neck and shoulder and to eliminate my chronic sinus infections. When my neck and shoulder muscles are tight and the fibers are not free to be disconnected from each other, my sinuses stop draining. I have been through 7 massage therapists because the majority were not any good for my specific problems. I do have 2 now that I do like. Part of my sinus problems were that my lymphatic system would not drain. Perseverance in finding a good massage therapist and having a good chiropractor as well as doing self-massage on neck and shoulders has helped my lymphatic system move more freely. The light touch motion method was not what did it for me. I need a very rough massage that is breaking through the fibers -- disconnecting those that shouldn't be connected. I don't know if this is the best method for someone with fibromyalgia.
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy (OMT) is a sort of massage that most DO doctors are trained in doing. It massages the lymph nodes to keep them moving.

I talked to a massage therapist, but she was not trained in this technique. She told me to ask at the massage school...hey, sounds like a great idea.

What is lymph? The clear part of our blood is called plasma. Capillaries are so small that the red blood cells must go through single file, oxygen travels to other cells by osmosis but the plasma also leaks past these cells. The leaky plasma is then picked up by the lymph vessels. Lymph vessels have no pressure to keep them moving, they depend on body movement to flow. Certain areas of our bodies have lymph nodes which sample it for viral or bacterial problems, the lymph nodes swell up collecting the bad guys until the immune system can catch up. Swollen lymph nodes in the arm pits, under the chin, chest cavity will swell up when we get sick. Docs should check for this as a routine.

Moral of all this: Exercise to keep the lymph circulating.
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

cancer, had a double mastectomy and 17 lymph nodes removed. She now has lymphodema. I asked her to teach me how. She uses a very light touch (like a feather) down her arms. You aren't supposed to press hard. This helps remove the bad stuff.
  5. mxmom419

mxmom419 New Member

I have a great Licenced massage therapist who is trained and does lymphatic drainage. I started seeing her before I found my new doc which she recommended. She uses different techniques. Yes some light some a little more aggressive in different areas. My major problem is in my neck and armpits. When all my doctors said that the swelling wasn't worth being worried about she helped me find a doc who would find out why. That's when I found out I have CFS. She has been wonderful. I really think the massage works. Some days it totally wipes me out and sends me into a crash other days it makes me feel soooo good for days!!! We're still working on the why's and trying to get a pattern. She also massaged my internal organs very lightly...ie... my liver. I responded really well to that. I was having alot of rib pain and it relieved it. Just make sure your LMT is trained in lymphatic drainage and not rolfing.--good luck
  6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

When my D.O. decided to test me for Epstein-Barr virus, it came out positive all right. I was prescribed Transfer Factors for treatment. When I took the first capsule, my lymph nodes all swelled up like crazy. I found out that this was a symptom of EBV. It doesn't show up when the condition is Chronic however. Transfer Factors apparently paints targets on viruses that the immune system can recognize.
  7. mxmom419

mxmom419 New Member

Hey, what does that mean? transfer factors? If my EBV comes back positive that means that it is NOT the cause of my lymph nodes swelling? Does how long EBV is in the system make the difference if lymph nodes swell or not? I hate all of this self diagnosing. I'm trying so hard to find out why and fix it. This website has been sooooooo wonderful in helping me understand so many things but, maybe I've taken in too much info. Is that possible? Anyway, if you could explain a little more I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!!!
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I had lymphatic massage once at a resort when I was on vacation. The massage therapist used a very light touch. What surprised me was how relaxing it was. When I commented on this to the therapist, she that was because it reset some part of the nervous system. Of course, I have forgotten what part, but I wondering if it wasn't the ANS since that is often a problem in CFIDS/ME.