Lynn, was your hexing experience very bad?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dalphia, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Dalphia

Dalphia New Member

I'm in the first week of treatment for Epstein Barr, I'.V.'s, oral mediatons and it is almost alarming what I'm feeling. Seems like my brain is popping with electrical type shocks throughout my body. Does this sound familiar to you are anyone who reads this Post.

I presume it the treatments have put me into a major flare by killing off the active viruses. Any information will be so appreciated............P.S. I anticipated some strange things and wonder just how long this will go on.

In one month I begin another treatment for Mycoplasma. Guess with each Virus/Bacterial problem, the treatment course (hexing) will be about the same feelings.......just wonder about this one too.

Thanks and God Bless,
    D.D.
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I felt like I had the absolute worst flu ever for about 5 days when I started treating the virus and bacterial infection and then I turned the corner. I think the length of time and symptoms vary by person but If you feel uncomfortable or scared about what is going on I would call first thing Monday morning. Hopefully this will pass and you will be on the path to recovery! Lynn
  3. acesk

acesk New Member

They can Rx you a drug that helps the flu-like symptoms. My FFC doctor in Denver sent me a script for Famvir and one for Amantadine 100mg for the Hexing symptoms.

Sue in Florida
    p.s. haven't filled them yet
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Famvir is an antiviral and one can Herx if it kills of massive amounts of viruses.

I know we each experience Herxing differently. I've Herxed for so long and so many times, that I can detect the difference between bacterial and viral Herxing.

Both cause extreme fatigue and feeling as though I have the flu; however, when bacteria are killed off, I feel a burning sensation in my torso. When viruses are being killed off, I have chills in my torso. I have had a few Herxes where there is both burning and chilling. I assume both bacteria and viruses are being killed off. This has happened when I am taking both ABX and AV's.

It is a good idea to keep a journal. It helps to figure out when one is Herxing and how long to expect it to last.

Love, Mikie
  5. Dalphia

Dalphia New Member

To all who replied about their Herxing experiences, I want to thank you all...........and yes, my symptons were so much like your's.......... Today was bad but I think I've turned the corner tonight and am actually feeling better. All those wiered feelings have subsided. Thanks for hanging in there with me when I needed informationl.

This Board provides a wealth of information to many and I'm so appreciative for it.
    God Bless,
    DD
  6. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Do you live in Atlanta?? Let me know when you go back to the FFC I live nearby and will pop in and meet you if I can! So glad you are being treated and you have turned the corner! This is not an easy road but when you go down it there is a light at the end! (I should write for Hallmark!)

Take Care Lynn
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that they seem to recognize and treat the underlying infections that most all of us suffer. Unless these infections are addressed, it is nearly impossible to heal.

It can be rough while we are purging our bodies of these nasty pathogens, but it does get better, much better.

I believe we are prone to develop these infections and some pathogens, like Herpes Viruses, never completely go away. We may have to continue the fight for life. That is why I continue to pulse the TF's. They keep my immune system strong and able to handle most infections.

I'm so happy to see more and more of us getting comprehensive treatment for our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  8. maja_sp

maja_sp New Member

Hello everybody!
    I am from Germany, but live in the states for more than two years now. I have been diagnosed with EBV (they called it mono first...some still do...or well....some finally agree, that it is just more than that...) in August 2004. Finally, after almost 2 years I found a doctor (had an appointment today) who is willing to treat me and does not just say. rest a lot, drink a lot, do exercise.

In the past days I am reading a lot in this forum and I must say this is just a great place where people support each other and exchange valubale information!!

My question is now:
    you guys talked about "herxing" and "TF's". May I ask what that is? Sorry, I really try my best with my English but sometimes even my super duper smart online dictionary gives up. :)
    Thanks for your answers! I appreciate it!
    Maja
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Some of the other ladies can answer you better than me. My reply will bump it back up for someone to see.

Herxing is a die off of virus, or bacteria from treatment like antibiotics, or a herb like garlic. It's a good thing, that causes some negative symptoms while die off occurs.

TF is something that helps the immune system become stronger.
    That's the best i can do for you, someone help me out!

Goodluck!
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Yes you are probaly having a herx! A herx is caused by the bad bacteria dieing off to fast for our bodies to handle it so we get sick. They can be severe but usually only last for a few days. If it gets to bad the Dr can give you something for it.

TF are transfer factors. The one I take is Bovine colostrum which helps boost your immune system (think mothers milk.) The cows aren't harmed in any way to get this.

Mikie can probably give more comprehensive answers! Good Luck and welcome to the board! I love Germany it is so beautiful there! Lynn
  11. jane32

jane32 New Member

I would think your body is just really reacting to the meds. I felt pretty bad ont hem for about 3-4 weeks-awful sore throat on the Valtrex. I took it very slow though.I added 1 pill every 5 days. It took me forever to get to 3 grams.

Last month I added 2 more pills and I was sick for only 3 days.

I would give your body a rest for a few days then start again with just one...that is what I had to do.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Herxing is when there has been a major dieoff of pathogens in the body and the body purges this toxic matter by producing sweating, diarrhea, and even nausea.

Transfer factors are like tiny oral vaccines in capsules. They train the immune system to recognize pathogens and kill them. This is for the ones which target specific pathogens. There is a Transfer Factor Essentials which doesn't target specific pathogens but rather increases the immune system's health overall. I think of it as a "souped up" colostrum. If you do a web search on transfer factors, you can learn more. You can also do a search in the Library here or go to the Store and read about the TF's sold here.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  13. maja_sp

maja_sp New Member

Hello You All!
    Thank you SO MUCH for your answers! I got a really good idea of it now. Oh my, I guess I am at the veeeeeeery beginning of my way to get better. Well, at least I AM at the beginning. It is just so sad, that - as probably many of us - wasted time with running to the wrong doctor or having been patient too long and tolerating "wrong" ways.

Sometimes it seems one gets more knowlegde and information about a disease from other people/patients than from a doctor who studied on it!

I already read soooo much about EBV and treatments. It still does not seem to be as attractive and interesting to scientist than HIV or cancer. Too bad, don't you think? I even don't want to guess how many people are out there - what we don't know - and suffer without even knowing that they have EBV or FM or others because they just haven't been diagnosed right.

I spent more time of my life now educating myself about my sickness than really living life.

As well it is very difficult to do all this in English!! I am in a German forum as well. It would be interesting to have an international "plattform/place" to talk with each other....

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me.

Many greetings and Gesundheit for everybody (did you guys know that when somebody sneezes and one says the word "Gesundheit" that this comes from the German language and means "health" :) )
    Maja

PS: Whoever wants to talk about Germany or know anything.....:))))) I'd LOOOOVE to talk about it! :)))
  14. morningsonshine

You are doing beautifully with the language, you are writing very well.

Where are you learning about EBV? On here or somewhere else?

I was in Germany long time ago on a college trip, beautiful country. We got to see both sides of Berlin and the wall. I will alway remember the contrast between the two sides. And the beautiful art work on the wall, actually there was two walls with a "no-man" zone in between. I didn't know that before i went.
    Only on the west side was it painted with art work, or Grafitti.
    It was about 2 years later that the wall was taken down, after being there and seeing it, i can only imagine what that must have felt like to the people living their. I sketched a picture of the wall, i still have it somewhere.

West Berlin is a beautiful city. I remember seeing the olympic rings, And the great beer, american beer tasted like piss after being their!! ~giggle~

I'm glad you are learning so much about these diseases, so you can help yourself get better, and hopefully help others.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2006]
  15. maja_sp

maja_sp New Member

Hello Morningsonshine!
    Oh how nice, you were in Germany! And you even had the chance to see a wonderful city! Berlin is really interesting and although I have been there twice so far I would like to go again and stay a looong time. Have you heard of the LOVEPARADE in Berlin? It is a kind of music festival with miiiiillions of people. I was there once! It was AWESOME!

Yes, it must have been very very awful for people in east Berlin before the wall came down. You know what? I had similar feeling being here in the states the first time and not being able to travel home because it took so long with my paper work. I could go back to see my friends and family after almst 2 years!! That was the WORST. Can you guys imagine that you are so to say not being allowed to see your family?? Anyway, that is past now....but it did not make me healthy....more the opposite...

Talking about EBV:
    Until about two weeks ago I was only very activ reading and writing on German webpages....more or less....every once in a while I looked on english written pages. It is not only difficult for me because of the language barrier, no it is difficult, too, to find a doctor who is willing to help you.
    It seemed, on Monday I found one. Had an appointment with an Immunologist. I am at the very beginning of my therapy so to say. First he did some more blood work (haven't gotten the results yet) and then he probalby wants to put me on Framvir. I read a lot about this already here in this forum.
    It is always like this: there are good things and bad things about medication. In the end, one has to try it to figure out if it works for oneself.

That cost time, money, and nervs.

Even if I repeat myself (maybe read in some of my other postings), but I know about a treatment that seem to work for EBV (and probalby for other - similar - diseases, too). I talk my mouth of about it because people think I want to sell them something weird. I experience pessimism EVERYWHERE. I can understand....in a way....I am pessimistic against certain things too and I don't belive everything right away. I talked with a doc from the Ohio University about this mentioned treatment, with my family doctor as well with the new doc. He at least is willing to try to find information about it (although I know he won't be lucky to find some about that in English...that is my problem, because than I could use it to talk about it better).

In a way it is a treatment that some institutions or doctors over here seem to already practice in a way.....One has to take medication that first "attacks" your immune system so that for the first weeks/month one feels really bad but after a while it goes up the mountain. The goal is to teach the immune system to work "right" again: either calm it down from working too much or make work more. That's it. Long way to go, but I talked with people where it helped.

This is all I can say. Other than that it seems to me that most of the German doctors are as "poor" educated about certain diseases as a lot of doctors are over here in the states. Please, I don't mean with this, that they are stupid!!! Please, no misunderstanding. I just mean, there is still not enough willingness to dig into certain diseases, because others are more popular.

Sorry, I got to got now. I have a German Ladies meeting tonight and I am looking forward to it a lot!

Bis bald wieder (talk to you soon again),
    Maja
  16. morningsonshine

I'll get back to you, but i'm to burned out right now, i had to go grocery shopping today, and it was a tough day.

Bis bald wieder,
    Misty [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]

dalphia
    how are you doing, feeling any better yet?[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  17. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here's an odd comment from one of the posts.

"They can Rx you a drug that helps the flu-like symptoms. My FFC doctor in Denver sent me a script for Famvir and one for Amantadine 100mg for the Hexing symptoms."

As far as I know, amantadine is an av for colds/flu type viruses. My doctor gave me some when I was waiting to get my viral tests back. I only took it for 2 months and then went to see him. As far as I could tell, it wasn't doing anything. he said it usually takes 3 months to work.

Why anyone would think this was a drug to prevent herxing perplexes me.