Lyphomas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrofem, Sep 1, 2002.

1. fibrofem

fibrofem New Member

Hi I'm not new to the site but I am posting for the first time. I am wondering if anyone out there also suffers from lyphomas. I noticed my first one about three years ago and I now have at least eight of them. They are easily irritated and was wondering if anyone has any wisdo about lyphomas.
  2. fibrofem

fibrofem New Member

Hi I'm not new to the site but I am posting for the first time. I am wondering if anyone out there also suffers from lyphomas. I noticed my first one about three years ago and I now have at least eight of them. They are easily irritated and was wondering if anyone has any wisdo about lyphomas.
  3. herblady

herblady New Member

if so, my husband had two large ones on his back. they stretched the skin out so bad they coused him pain so he had them removed. now he's fine. they are benign so they are not a problem unless they cause pain. you might want to get them removed. my dog had some too but the vet removed them. i used to work in pathology so i know that they are fairly common. try not to worry. cindi
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

It was on his back and about the size of a peach, maybe a little larger. He had it removed a few years ago and has only the scar to show for it.

I agree with Cindi about asking your doc about them, since you have so many.

Barbara

5. herblady

herblady New Member

david's were the size of golf balls. the size of a peach, wow. now that had to hurt. but he's all better now. i'm glad i never have had any. cindi
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. I don't have lyphomas, but just stopped to welcome you.

Hope we get to know you better soon, again, welcome to our world.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. SAS

SAS New Member

I have a small one under my arm, in my armpit. Surgeon siad not to worry unless it becomes painful or gets bigger. I also have a lump in the neck area, just below my skull. It hurts when I press it, like an ache. I think it is the same thing. My PCP is watching that one.

Don't worry too much about it. They are almost always benign.

God Bless,
    Shirley
  8. JP

JP New Member

Hello,

Depending on the location, lipomas can be quite painful. For example, episacral lipomas (low back area) are a mass of subfascial fat, which has herniated through the overlying fascial layer. These masses of fat can herniate from trauma, weakness in the fascia, or abnormal tension (a few known reasons). It has been my experience that doctors know very little about these benign tumors. They usually say they will come back if removed and they do not cause pain.

I had a 6cm tumor removed from my low back about 20 years ago. It made a significant and positive difference on my reducing my pain. It has not returned. I too have multiple lipomas. It is only a guess that they are somewhat due to multiple back injuries. They are painful and cause additional irritation to my pain condition.

I hope this information is helpful,
    Jan
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

When I first got FMS, I was put on Elavil and it caused a 46 lb. weight gain in only 2 months. I developed baby fingernail sized lumps all over the trunk of my body. One was biopsied and it was a lipoma. I guess I gained fat so fast that my body made fatty tumors as a place to put it all! I was told they are harmless, benign, fatty tumors, but I imagine a large one might cause pain. I still have them many yrs. later.
    Klutzo
  10. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Do you have fms and/or cfids? There's lots of info here in the library & as you've already seen, from members who suffer similar problems.

Let us know how you're doing. Take care. Michele
  11. sweetladyjane

sweetladyjane New Member

Hi,
    I, too, have worried about these wierd lumps. I never heard of them until I met my husband. He has excellent health, is very active and feels great most of the time. He has complained of low back pain, but he has a few football injuries. He has them all over his legs, and torso, as well as a few on his arms and one in an earlobe. They are oval, hard and most are about the size of a pecan in the shell. They don't bother him at all. He is very self confident. I think he's so handsome that they are easy to overlook. I thought they might respond to massage, but no difference. I was concerned that they could invade his inner organs, so I checked them out on the Net, and not much out there other than it's no big deal. If insurance will pay, we'll get the most visible ones removed, but he doesn't seem to care either way. He has a cousin with them also.
  12. herblady

herblady New Member

what i want to know is what causes them. if i could find that out, i could think of a way to prevent them. i think i'll look it up. if i find anything useful, i'll let you know. cindi
  13. metoo110

metoo110 New Member

i have several also. haven't really counted them but it's alot. there in my abdomin...from right below my boobs(couldn't think of another word for that area) to right above my pubic area.

mine don't seem to be as round as all of yours, mine seem to be mainly odd long shapes. and they HURT when i press on them. or when the dog jumps on me in bed i protect my belly area.

i didn't even know what they were until i came here several months ago. have seen a dr. and he says the same thing as you guys, about removing them only if needed.

donna
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2002]
  14. fibrofem

fibrofem New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in the early ninties but have had it since I was 13, and I am now 37.
  15. fibrofem

fibrofem New Member

The nurse practioner that diagnosed mine they are caused by constant irritation of the muscle tissue in that area. My chiropractor told me there is also something called an eschers node(not sure on spelling) that can devolop in your low back. Most of my lyphomas are on my back. I also have two on my lower left leg.
  16. herblady

herblady New Member

hmmm, irritation of the muscle tissue? i can see how those of us with fm could have that as a cause but my husband doesn't have any muscle problems. so i wonder what could have caused his. cindi