Lyrica ?.....again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bre_ann, Oct 9, 2008.

1. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I tried to look through some of the Lyrica posts but I still have some questions....Does anyone get relief from just 50mg ONCE a day?.....Once you're on it (and if it works) will you always be on it? Are there withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it?
    My dr. just gave me some samples of it yesterday but they are only 50mg. He did not say anything about taking more than one a day. I came home and read the paper that was attached to it (I guess he thought I wouldn't) and it looked like the average dose was at least 150mg a day or more. I'm tired of this pain I've been in and am ready for something to work. I guess I'll try it and see how it does but was curious if most people are on higher doses. He also told me to try to get more exercise so I could rely on him and medication a lot LESS. I haven't seen him in TWO years and was not on any prescription meds when I went in to his office! He was on my good side until he made that comment before he left the room. I don't see him again for 3 months but the the Lyrica samples, if I just take the one 50mg. once a day will only last me 3 weeks. So, I was wondering if you start taking it, do you always have to take it (if it helps that is).
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have personally not heard of someone being helped from just one dose of 50mg a day but I suppose it is possible. I started at 50mg but it was 3 times a day.

If it works you will take it as long as you want to take it basically. However if you stop it then the pain is likely to come back, it only works while you are taking it.

Yes Lyrica has withdrawal symptoms and you can't just stop taking it cold turkey. You need to wean off this medication with doctor supervision if you decide to stop it.

The average dose can be 150mg a day or higher but you usually work up to a high dose and do not start at the high dose.

I take 300mg twice a day now. I am on the highest dose.

If you start taking Lyrica you will definitely have to see your doctor or have a prescription called in for you before 3 months because yes you cannot stop this drug cold turkey, that can be very dangerous as well as very uncomfortable.

I am not sure if 50mg once a day will bring you any relief at all. I usually hear of people at least starting with 50mg twice or three times a day and then slowly work up to a level that helps them.

I have been on Lyrica for 3 years now.
  3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I am going to my Rhuemy today. I will not take Lyrica because of the side effects and severe withdrawl lots of people on the boards have experienced. (I have diabetes, vein issues and other issues that also cause me to turn away from Lyrica.) If you don't have enough until you see your doctor next, I wouldn't start it.

Also, your doctor doesn't seem to be very effective. It sounds like he doesn't know what to do so he just send you away with samples. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor, get a new one. He is just a man in a white coat. You can find another one, hopefully, one that really cares.

Good luck.
  4. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

for your posts.
    I've already started it but don't know how effective it will be on that low of a dose. My dr. seems to have a split personality almost :) Just when I think he's a good guy, he turns around and does or says something to make me think otherwise. I can't find another rhuemy that easily. He's been the only one in my area for some time.
  5. xkopy

xkopy New Member

I just had an appointment with a nuroligist who gave me a sample of lyrica also. They are 75 mg. 30 pills in the bottle. He told me to take two to three a day. He made an appointment for me to see an rhemuy also. The nuroligist told me to tell the rheumy how different I feel compaired to using tramadol which did nothing for me. I have been on the lyrcia now for three days and have noticed a big difference in the muscle pain that I had. I have no side effects as of yet but I just started taking them. I'm very happy with the results so far. So far I will continue to use lyrcia. I hope my insurance will cover it. I hear some won't and it can be expensive from what I hear.
  6. 5hei1a

5hei1a New Member

I have taken Lyrica. My doctor started me on 50mg but toldme to work up to 1 50mg cap three times a day (so, 150mg per day).

It really helps but the side effects can be really bad. I can not take it for that reason.....swelling, balance, foggy feeling, vision probs, etc.

The 50mg may not be enough for noticeable relief. And do not just stop cold turkey. Even the 50mg. Need to wean off of it.

Good luck and soft hugs,
  7. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I decided on my own to go ahead and take it at least twice a day. I did not think 1 50mg. was helping. I'm not sure 2 are yet. But, he only gave me ONE sample bottle and it only has 21 pills in it. That will not last. I don't know how I'm going to let the dr. know I just decided to up it on my own and want more samples now. Either that or a script. But, I'd like to just take the samples until I find a doseage that actually helps. I think it is beginning to help but I know I'll need to take at least 100mg a day and probably more for it to be really effective. I'm tired of the pain and I decided I wasn't going to wait 3 weeks to see if 1 pill a day was even going to help. I've waited long enough. He thinks I'm a complete idiot if he thought I wasn't going to research the doseage on that. It looks like most people take at the very least 100mg to way more than that a day. Thanks for the help.
  8. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

My Dr. started me on 75mg twice a day. I didn't expect it to help but after going through a hastle to get my insurance to pay for it I was going to at least give it a try.
    The first day the pain was almost gone! I couldn't believe it! I felt soooo much better. If I am late with my pill I know it because I get a bit uncomfortable.
    The down side was I felt like I was stoned all the time. I had just gotten new glasses that were wonderful only to have my vision change. Not bad but it made reading difficult. I would have waves of feeling like I had taken a strong sedative and it was lights out for me for a while.
    The sides are passing and I am feeling better. I can actually lay down and go to sleep without tossing and turning for hours. I still get drowsy to the point I do have to take a nap but not often.
    I hate taking medicine beyond words but the thought of having that pain back is more then I can handle. I plan on taking it as long as it does the job.
    Dunno if this info helps anyone.
  9. cczub

cczub New Member

Hey Bre! Been on Lyrica for a few months now (7-8) and it helped ALOT. Once I got up to a dosage that worked for me (150mg twice a day) I noticed a BIG change. It has helped knock down the pain to a 2 on my good days. I still have bad days but the good days are GREAT.

I have had no real side effects from it. Never knew eye issues were a side effect though so that might be the only one (need to get that checked now).

Good luck... The key is finding the right dose and a doctor who knows how to prescribe it. My doctor here in NJ is the best doctor I have EVER gone to.
  10. jmq

jmq New Member

I just started Lyrica too. My rhemy started me on 75mg once a day for a week, then 75mg twice a week. Even on the first low dose I got relief! I can actually have a few hours of normal life since I started it. I cant wait to increase the dose! I am nervous about the time when I will have to stop it because I know how horrible withdrawls can be.

I think its worth it...and btw, I have had no bad side effects.

11. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I really feel it was beginning to help somewhat so I called my rhuemy's office and said I was taking it at least twice a day and wanted to know if he'd be willing to let me have more samples. They did. I got enough that if I take it 3 times a day (150mg), it will last me a month. I should be able to tell by then if it's going to work for me or not. So, far, I've not really felt any severe side effects with it but I've only been taking it for a week and a half.
    This week I've had some severe neck/shoulder muscle pain and although, I still have it, I feel like the pain is not so severe with the Lyrica. I also was wanting to try it due to my severe foot joint pain. Although I am still having pain with that as well, I do feel like it hasn't been as severe. I plan to keep trying it.
    Thanks for posting!