Lyrica and birth defects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swimmer71, Nov 3, 2005.

1. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Hi all,

I am a 34 year old male. I was recently prescribed Lyrica by a neurologist for fibro. I read through side effects and the one that most bothered me was possibility of birth defects. They can't confirm that it happens with humans, but they found that it caused birth defects with rats. That to me is enough evidence that it could cause birth defects. My doctor said not to worry about it, but I just can't get past it.

I really want to have a child in the future and have held off on taking the medication. Pain is concentrated in the head and face and we are scheduled to do Botox later next month. I am holding off until then.

Has anyone else addressed this issue?
  2. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

I am about to start taking Lyrica and plan to have children within the next 3 years so I hope you get some responses to this post.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but have decided not to take it, for me there are just too many side effects and I am very sensitive to medication.

There is a long thread on Lyrica running at the moment.

If it were me and I was concerned about birth defects, I just wouldnt touch it. It's not a miracle drug, it's not going to cure anyone, so why take the risk.

love
    Rosie
  4. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

because it's similar - it's gabapentin, and Lyrica is pregabalin. I found a website that gives the molecular structure of Lyrica, and there may be one that does the same for neurontin.

Since Lyrica has not been out there long enough forany of us to have taken it extensively and then had children, you won't hear any anecdotes good or bad to that eefect.

I'm done having babies, so for me it's a moot point.

But if I were you I'd check into it.

Here's another thing to think about - if people are having kids with birth defects after taking neurontin or later, Lyrica, how would they know it was from that? Usually, dozens of other meds have been tried before them, and a few other meds are used at the same time.
  5. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Thanks for all your insights.

This side effect is listed in the published literature both accompanying the sample my doctor gave me and on the web. Pfizer says it is inconclusive. It says to discuss with doctor if you are planning to father a child....or breast feed.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Although I want to try it, I agree there are too many side effects, including the possibility of birth defects.
  6. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hey Swimmer,

So very many of these drugs have got more side effects than they tell us about. The fewer we of them we take, the better off we are.

Have you tried the Traumeel by Heel yet? I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I am shocked that it works so well for me. Freaked me out! I have taken only two of them today.

Now, I should say that I do have a headache from taking some stupid heart medication last night that the pharmacy gave me by accident...but my pain went away even after working out two days in a row.

It could be worth trying the Traumeel even if you wouldn't think that something so simple could make you feel so much better. It's homeopathic and not likely to create problems for you in the future.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'd be afraid of it just by virtue of how new and unproven it is. But I've read some of the Lyrica thread and the terrible side effects people are suffering from it. Sounds like a nasty drug to me.

Good luck finding something to help you that is safer.

Jeanne
  8. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Dancing Star,

Please advise the best way to purchase Traumeel. There seems to be a lot of different vendors and no one manufacturer, which makes the efficacy of any given variety suspect.

Is it sold in health stores? Who is the best to purchase from?

Thank you.
  9. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Dancing Star,

Please advise the best way to purchase Traumeel. There seems to be a lot of different vendors and no one manufacturer, which makes the efficacy of any given variety suspect.

Is it sold in health stores? Who is the best to purchase from?

Thank you.