Lyrica and me...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hartogold, Apr 1, 2007.

1. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I have a high threshold for pain and an even higher threshold for pain meds. They've tried them all and haven't been able to find one for me.

I'm on Fetanyl patches (150mg every 72 hrs), 400mg of Lyrica and 1000mg of magnesium/calcium daily. At first the Lyrica made me sleepy, caused slurring of speech and dry mouth which has decreased over the last year.

Lyrica plays an important part in my "pain cocktail". I just wish I could get my pain level below a 5. Thank God summer is coming because winter kills me.

Good luck!
    Sandy
  2. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

I too take Lyrica; for over a year now. Up to 450mg daily now, along w/Kadian. I have experimented with my meds (done safely) and find that Lyrica alone is not enough but neither is just the pain meds. Its the combo that works for me. Or as you called it, 'the cocktail'.

I experimented mainly because I didnt want to take anything that I didnt have to. So slowly I took my Lyrica dose down to 75 mg daily (from 225mg)and took my regular pain meds (hydrocodone) and had alot of pain. Then I started the Lyrica again (doctor's orders, said I wasnt taking enough) and slowly took less and less of the pain med. Again alot of pain.

Hydrocodone was replaced with talacen and now talacen is replaced with the Kadian (20mg daily). Only on the Kadian for 3 weeks now and decided to see if the higher dose (now 450mg) of Lyrica would be enough, so slowly taking the Kadian down to every other day. Was planning on then taking it every 2 days but every other day is not working out pain-wise. So again, it seems the Lyrica AND the pain med. work the best. So it seems I do have to take both the Lyrica and pain med.

Good luck to you as well.