lyrica and the brain (file under side effects)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

anyone else taking lyrica notice their attention span has vanished? even as i write this, i'm having a hard time. same thing with emails. hard to focus my attention long enough to write or read anything. also affects my ability to carry on meaningful conversations. am i crazy or it is the meds? worst case scenario this is the fibro getting worse but i don't think so. i also take remeron so it's hard to say which is the culprit. both maybe? i want to go back to work but i'm concerned about my ability to learn and and focus.

2. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I too have noticed what you are saying about memory. The other day I was at the computer, and when typing, none of the spellings seemed right. I had to use the spell check for even the simplest of words!

My goodness. what else does this disease have in store for us?
  3. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

Since starting lyrica, I can't spell. I have trouble with simple math.
    I was always A+++++++++++ with English spelling, grammar.
    now, my homepage is
    I try to keep a sense of humor otherwise I'd cry all day.
    When I started lyrica, I blew a job interview because the interviewer said I "seemed to have trouble putting together a sentence or completing a thought."
    She was right.
    I might never have been a genius, but Lyrica has dumbed me down, very much dumbed me down.

i used to get on-the-job compliments on my ability to focus intensely for long periods. I loved the nitty-gritty wonky details. I did tech writing.

Now, well, I'm not like that and I can't do that.

the lyrica helps a bit but I wonder if it is worth it.
  4. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

That must be why many people call it a "stupid drug" because it makes some people feel very stupid!!! Me included.
  5. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Just thought I would say hello, we are about the same age and both of us live in Tampa. Do you have a good doctor here? I have not had much luck.
  6. poets

poets Member

But when I had first started Lyrica I swear I thought I was losing my mind. I could barely complete a sentence without forgetting what I was talking about. I almost went off it in the first week. It got better as time went by but then I started gaining weight so badly that I quit taking it.

7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm going to talk to my doc about stopping the lyrica. i can't imagine learning a new job with my mind so dull. seems like every med that works on pain strips away everything else along with it!

hi wrthster, dang this humidity is the worst, yeah? unfortunately i can't recommend a good doc in the tampa area but i do know an amazing acupuncturist if you're into alternatives. i stopped seeing her because i couldn't afford it any longer, but she was my doctor, acupuncturist, masseuse and therapist all rolled up into one! also i've heard second hand that the lifeworks wellness center in clearwater (dr. springer) is sympathetic to cfs and fibro patients. good luck with your disability claim. i got turned down :(
  8. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I only took it for a few weeks and HAD to stop it because I was just so "out of it"!!! It was a little fun when I didn't have to do anything like drive, talk to people or function outside of the home because it put me in a bit of a "happy state of mind"; however, like all of you, I couldn't concentrate or add either (I am a college graduate-as most of us are). One night I ate dinner with my family and then as we were driving home I asked if we had dinner yet... my husband told me to definately get off that med!

I don't trust it either... there has to be long term effects to that one!
  9. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

I'd love to stop lyrica but it is the only thing that has helped reigh in restless legs that I have along with FMS. Has anyone stopped lyrica and found help via something else.

I have tried: acupuncture, reiki, massage and more rx than I cna remember.