Lyrica Fibro Study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KJ2003, Sep 23, 2005.

1. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

I thought this was an interesting article, especially for those of us who contend with nerve pain. Every time I think I'm not going to switch from Neurontin, I find something positive about Lyrica.

Here's the article:

Lyrica (pregabalin) For Fibromyalgia Study results show significant improvement

According to a study published in the April 2005 issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism, Lyrica (pregabalin):

*significantly reduced the pain of fibromyalgia
    *improved sleep and fatigue
    *improved other patient-reported conditions including bodily pain and vitality

Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread pain, fatigue, and sleep problems. Fibromyalgia is difficult to treat. The cause is unknown and there is no approved treatment which eliminates or controls the primary symptoms of fibromyalgia.

Lyrica for Fibromyalgia Study

In the study, which was an eight-week double-blind trial led by a University of Kentucky physician, 529 fibromyalgia patients were randomized to receive one of three daily doses of Lyrica (150, 300, or 450 mgs.) or placebo.

Statistics about the study participants reveal that, on average, patients were women in their late 40s who had long histories (average duration nine years) with fibromyalgia. The study participants had moderate to severe pain and diminished quality of life.

Prior to the onset of the trial, study participants discontinued all medications for pain and sleep except acetaminophen, aspirin, or symptomatic migraine treatment.

Lyrica for Fibromyalgia Study Results
    The benefit of Lyrica for fibromyalgia was demonstrated as early as the first week of treatment.

A significantly greater proportion of patients receiving Lyrica versus placebo (48% vs. 27%) experienced a clinically meaningful reduction in pain. What defines a clinically meaningful reduction in pain? It is defined as a 30% or greater improvement in pain.

Significantly more patients taking 450 mg per day Lyrica experienced a 50% or greater reduction in pain at the end of the study compared with placebo, (29% vs. 13%).

Using daily sleep diaries and a sleep scale measurement, patients taking Lyrica reported significant improvement in sleep compared to those receiving placebo. Patients taking Lyrica also reported reduced fatigue on a scale of severity, distress, degree of interference in activities of daily living, and timing.

Mild-to-moderate dizziness and sleepiness were reported as the two most common side effects by patients given Lyrica. The side effects appeared to be dose related.

2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Everything I hear about this new med seems to be hopeful. I was told that it would be approved in the fall...so, it's fall. I would love to try it and forget the pain, sleep, etc. meds.

I appreciate you posting it...thanks again.

Sue
  3. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

I found out it was approved for prescribing in the US on September 21st.

Good to know!

Kim