Lyrica has helped me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brella, Feb 14, 2010.

1. brella

brella New Member

I haven't been on this message board in a while but I wanted to share my experience. I am 23 y/o and have had FM symptoms since age 17. I never thought I'd be the type of person to take prescription medication but I couldn't handle my life how it was...

Up until a couple months ago, my fibro pain was so bad that I cried every day. I cried myself to sleep almost every night. I took narcotic pain medication as much as I could handle. I had a flare-up every week or so. I called in sick to work often. I never left my house (or my bed) unless I absolutely had to.

I finally got health insurance and went to my primary physician and he prescribed me Cymbalta. This medication didn't help me at all and just gave me weird side-effects. After about a month he gave me some Lyrica samples. Within a week I noticed a difference. At first, all that happened was that I no longer had flare-ups. I still had very bad pain but it was steady. Shortly, I noticed that my pain actually started to decrease. Of course with more activity or stressful days my pain would get a little bad again but never to the point of a full blown flare-up.

I've been on Lyrica for a couple months now and it has saved my life. I am able to do everything in my life without having to stay home because I'm in pain or without worrying about having a flare-up later. I have been able to exercise and I even joined a gym. Don't get me pain is not GONE. However, compared to how it was before I started taking Lyrica is a gigantic improvement. The worst side-effect is fatigue. I seem to feel tired more than I used to. But for me, I rather be fatigued than in extreme pain.

I am so thankful for something that finally worked...
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That is FANTASTIC, not only that Lyrica has relieved your pain, but that your quality of life has changed so much!

I have a friend here, who takes Lyrica and it has made a huge difference in her life as well. She had to quit her job, could barely move. As a matter of fact, her husband used to walk her to the end of the driveway and back just to help her move her body. She now works out three times a week, is able to go out shopping with friends etc...

She is not totally pain free and has to rest frequently. She has definitely learned her limitations so as not to crash.

I wish that Lyrica helped more of us, but to know that it has helped some people so much is really great news.
  3. KerryK

KerryK Member

Glad to hear Lyrica works so well for you. I read a research abstract somewhere recently that concluded that for a subset of patients, Lyrica really really works. My experience with Lyrica is that I could never shake the drunk feeling it gave. I had to give it up. However, the pain relief, energy improvements, and sleep quality were wonderful.

Good luck!
  4. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I reacted badly to it, as well as to most anything I tried. So glad you have an improved quality of life!

5. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Good for you, Bella! I am so happy that you found something that works for you.

Klonopin was/is my "miracle drug". It ramped down my pain from a 10+ to a 1 or 2 as long as I don't push past my limits. It gave me my life back.

So glad for you that you found help!