Lyrica I can't believe it. If you haven't tried it, it's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Jul 21, 2008.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

definitely worth a try. I know I've posted about the wonders of Lyrica before but... I'm up to 450 mgs and I actually have been able to ride my exercise bike for 20-25 minutes a day (2 sessions). I know if I told a normal person this, they would say "Big Deal". I know you guys understand. This is truly a miracle for me. I've also been taking my doggies for 1-3 walks per day. (I can't this week - temps in the 90s).

I did gain weight (20 lbs.) but now that I've been able to exercise a little, I lost 3 pounds and I know I will get the other off soon. Then I can work on the other 50.

I've been going to physical therapy twice a week for my knees. I might need surgery but I'm not going to let that set me back.

A year ago, I could barely walk. I'm a happy camper.
  2. kel589

kel589 New Member

I agree with you,lyrica is a miracle for me too.
    I sleep good now,have at least 50% more energy.
    apx 50% less pain.
    I have gained apx 5 pounds,
    but I feel closer to normal,I am doing things I couldnt do befor,
  3. Homes

Homes New Member

From my experience Lyrica worked really well at first. The weight gain is something that should emphasized. Also, don't be too excited about the painn going away, because in my experience it was temporary. I get just as much pain relief from stretching out my hips.
  4. ironspine

ironspine New Member

It's not a total help but since I've been on Lyrica (since last Sept) my life is so much easier. I don't spend time in bed anymore during the day, I can work around the house without having to rest all the time, I can go on vacation with my family, etc. I do have side effects-but they aren't enough to make me quit and I'd rather have that than the alternative. If I get a bad spell, I also take 1 Vicodin. But this is not very often at all.
    I urge people to at least see if it works for you-I tried everything else with no success and this was the last resort for me. I practically hugged my doctor after I discovered this worked!!!
  5. What dosage are u all taking besides cjcookie at 450mg? I went up to that and started hurting more, had blurry vision and gained 10 lbs. so the dr. is weaning me off it. BUT now I am really hurting, go figure. He did say the weight can slowly come on 5 and 10 lbs ea mo . with lyrica unfortunately.
  6. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I am currently on 350mg of Lyrica, it was a miracle when i first started taking it, about a year ago. Some sideeffects, blurry vision- but now it seems as if it is not working as well. my pain has increased and the fatigue is back along with depression, stress and anxiety. It is such a hit and miss and I don't know where to turn to next.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been taking Lyrica for over 2 years now. I have NOT gained any weight on Lyrica. I take 300mg twice a day.
    I am happy with the results. It helps with nerve pain, IBS and stomach issues. I still take other pain meds and other meds but I will not stop taking Lyrica.
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

My doc seems to think 450 is the top. My friend told me today that I talk a lot more. She wondered what was going on. She asked if I felt better. Wow, I didn't realize it was that obvious. I'm a happy camper.
  9. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

The max dosage for Lyrica is 600mg a day.
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I'd be a happy camper too :)

Did many of you on Lyrica have bad dizziness at first??

I tried this med. last yr,and was only able to tolerate 3 days of it because I got severe vertigo taking it.

Just wondering if anyone had that side effect too,... and did it go away?
    thanks, AND HUGE congrads on finding something that helps-
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I am SO SO Happy for you guys - all of you!

I have a friend here locally (just recently met) who has suffered greatly for 5 years with Fibro. Lyrica has been her 'miracle' as well. She did say she had a little 'dopey' feeling in the beginning or when she upped her dosages, her tongue would also feel big..but for her this has let her go from being house bound to being out with friends, shopping, attending her children's events, etc.
    I'm glad it works so well for some people!
  12. sharazelle

sharazelle New Member

Hi, I was just wondering how Lyrica is dispensed. Is it a tablet, capsule? I have trouble swallowing many pills. Can you crush it? I am interested in trying this med but my doctor has not mentioned it to me.
  13. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

say the same. I got to 100 mgs and started having the side effects and had to go off. I also was getting no relief, Bummer.
  14. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I've been on Lyrica since Sep 07 and it was like a miracle for me at first too. I came ALIVE. I felt cured. I began to do things I hadn't done in so long. I was having nerve pain and burning in hands and feet. The FM was doing so much better. I was up to 450 mg, but then the side effects were making me a little too loopy and so they cut me back to 300 mg. I've gained weight, but life was still good, the pain was gone.

However joint pain set in and I've dealt with a whole other list of symptoms which they think is arthritis. I've got an appt coming up in Aug to deal with all that.

BUT, the burning and nerve pain is in my feet/toes and hands again??? I'm wondering if the Lyrica has stopped working??

15. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

I am on 150mg 2x day and I get no relief from it. I am also taking darvocet, zoloft and seroquil for sleep. My dr seems to think that 300mg is tops but I am going to talk to him about everyone saying they felt better after 400mg. I am only still on it cause I am trying to get SSA and I don't want to turn down a treatment. So far I am not impressed.

16. tandy

tandy New Member

this back up.
    quite a few un-answered questions~
  17. kyra07

kyra07 New Member

Lyrica has been the thing that has helped me the most! I was on 300mg a day, now I'm down to 150mg a day with 60mg of Cymbalta. I had weight gain and swelling of the feet: within a week of reducing the dosage I lost most (not all, alas) of the weight.

Lyrica has improved my sleep and I can now exercise, too! I'm back in spinning classes, ashtanga yoga, lifting weights, etc. I can push myself now without really crashing, but I can only do it 2-3 times a week no more (cuz of the CFIDS). This is also key for me, as exercising lifts my spirits and makes me feel better about myself. Like I'm almost "normal" LOL

To answer some questions posted:

* My Lyrica comes in caplets, they are very, very tiny if you get the 75mg ones. I think they come even smaller too.

* Yes, Lyrica made me dizzy for 2 weeks. It went away for months, but I now haver vertigo again for the last 2+ months. My VNG test was abnormal (upbeating nystagmus), but I have a normal MRI. Maybe it's the Lyrica? Or maybe it's something else like Migraine Associated Vertigo? Who knows...

* The highest Lyrica dose I think for FMS is 600mg a day. If you go to the Lyrica product information, it will state it.

Fibro (((hugs))) to all
  18. tandy

tandy New Member

great answers`
    just the right info

19. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

DOes it help with anxiety also? Ruthie
  20. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I did have some dizziness when I started Lyrica but it went away after my body got used to it.