Lyrica increase and Cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Abbycat, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

Went to the rheumy today. She doubled my Lyrica to 600mg a day, which is the max dose. I hope this works! She also added Cymbalta, an antidepressant for pain.

The Lyrica makes me eat like a horse, or make that a dog. I am hungry all the time. I'm trying to shove in veggies and nuts to stem the tide, but it's not working too well. I feel like a veg-o-matic.

Cymbalta is supposed to decrease appetite as one of the side effects. Maybe they will cancel each other out. I'm hoping the Cymbalta wins.

I tipped the scale at 200 lbs which should send me screaming for the nearest Weight Watchers meeting, but I'm just too tired and sore to care.

Looking on the bright side, I've found that both drugs are for nerve pain, which seems to be my main problem, I think. Does nerve pain go along with muscle spasms? You can tell my doctor is so helpful in explaining things, can't you?

At least she's trying some of the newer drugs. Keep your fingers crossed for me. On second thought that sounds too painful. Just send me some good, fibro thoughts.

Abbycat
  2. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I take both and have for a few months. I know what ya mean about the lyrica but the help it gives me for the muscle tightening when I try to relax is worth the wieght gain. I stopped for a little while and it was horrible. Got back on it. The cymbalta does seem to counteract the hunger somewhat but I have gained about 20 lbs since starting them and now, after about 4 months it seems to be leveling off. I havn't gained much in the past month or so. Hopefully it will be a good combination for you. As for the cymbalta, I think it help more with my mood and every day functioning and that helps me to be able to manage the pain better. The two are a great combination for me. I hope they help you....Good luck...hugs....Mick!!
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I just read your profile (as I often do before replying or reading someone's post) and see you have three cats like I do. We put them in the basement at night so they don't disturb us. Sometimes our white cat sleeps on my bed at night as he doesn't really disturb me.

Anyway, to your questions. I, too, take Cymbalta and Lyrica. One thing you might watch for with the increase in Lyrica-blurry vision. At first I thought it was the FMS making it worse, but when my doctor lowered my dose, it got better. I still have some vision problems, especially in the evening, but not like it was. I love to read in the evenings and it was hard sometimes. So watch for this side effect.

I'm in the same boat as you with the weight gain. I had to laugh at the running to the Weight Watchers, but no energy! I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, but I really craze sweets a lot. I know the Cymbalta is supposed to also help with pain. I didn't notice any difference when I started taking it (this was before I was on Lyrica), but it definitely improved my mood.

I am also on Kadian (it's morphine), that helps me the most with the pain. It helps with the sharp, shooting pains, but unfortunately not the dull, achy ones. My doctor has me on a low dose of the morphine, but the past month or so I am noticing more of the sharp pains again. He hates to increase the dosage as I will probably have more problems with the side effects (with me it's the nausea).

Nothing is easy, is it? I am just thankful to have finally found such a great FMS doctor who is willing to prescribe a narcotic for the pain. Narcotics have helped me more than anything else.

Good luck.

Ellen
  4. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

Mick, It's good to know that your leveling off. I'm into my fat jeans, although not my fattest ones. Thank goodness!

Ellen, I noticed the blurry vision too. It seemed to wear off after a while. It's back because of the increase but I'm hoping it will decrease over time. I can read ok, it's just that when I move my eyes too fast it seems to take a smidge to fully focus, it that makes any sense.

Not enough to make me quit or lower the dose though. Lyrica seems to improve my mood, that is after the dopey, tired feeling wears off. I'm hoping the Cymbalta will help with that too because lately I can just barely manage to be civil.

When I'm in pain I have no patience and my mouth has a mind of it's own. When I get that way my coworker gently tells me to take a hydrocodone and then I'm fine.

I'd love to hear about your cats Ellen. I grew up with dogs, and both of my sisters have had dogs and cats, but they prefer their dogs.

I have never owned a dog myself and am a cat person all the way. We have one cat, the scaredy cat, who can sleep with us. She is as snuggly as a dog and she doesn't mind the fact that I get up 4 times a night and move around constantly. She gets out of the way when I turn over and waits until I'm comfortable and then snuggles in. She's black and sleek.

Snoozy is my fat calico and is the dominant/crabby cat. She demands the most attention and purrs so loud you can hear it across the room. She knows how to tell time, and if you miss her treat time, she will let you know. She cries, runs in front of you and knocks things off the counter until you notice.

Abby is the fluffy, teal eyed, white long hair cat that grew up with a couple of Jack Russell terriers. She looks very dainty, but she's not afraid of fat cat. She's like a dog. She comes when she's called and she wags her tail a lot. When people come over she runs out to see who's here.

Halloween is her favorite. She sits in front of the glass door waiting for the kids to come. I've had so many kids come up and say, "Look at that cat. Is that a real cat?"

I think dogs are dogs. Some smart ones do unusual things, but cats are always unusual. Not a week goes by where I am not amazed by the things they do.

Abbycat