Lyrica increased and finally working great (Research 11/14/06)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowaMorningGlory, Nov 21, 2006.

1. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I asked my physician to increase my Lyrica today on my refill and he upped it to 300mg bid. I also take 2 Ultram 50mg tabs qid, and Mirapex .25mg bid. The combination of 150mg Lyrica was not quite enough. My pain was the worst today...extremely tense and not able to relax no matter what I tried. When I took the 300mg Lyrica for the first tonight it took about an hour but wow I feel so relaxed and way less tense. Pain is not a 10, it is more like a 3. The pain remaining is in my shoulder blades, but my back and knees have loosened up.

Lyrica may not be for everyone, but if you can get it prescribed to try then I would suggest it. I am sure there are ones out there who cannot take it. I am lucky..believe me I know. I was to the point where I was about due to try a duragesic patch.

Oh I do have one side effect....:) my nose is cold :) That must mean I am healthy...works for my dogs.

Thank you for listening and take care.
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  2. IowaMorningGlory

Whole Article site: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/129/117520?src=RSS_PUBLIC

Lyrica May Relieve Fibromyalgia Pain

Study Shows Seizure Drug May Offer Relief for People With the Chronic Pain Condition

Nov. 14, 2006 (Washington, D.C.) -- The seizure drug Lyrica may offer extended pain relief for people with fibromyalgia.

That's according to new research presented at the 2006 annual meeting of the American College of Rheumatology.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome marked by widespread aches, pains, stiffness, fatiguefatigue, and trouble sleeping. About 2%-4% of the U.S. population has the condition, according to the American College of Rheumatology.

There is no FDA-approved treatment for fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia are treated with a variety of medications approved for other conditions, including low doses of antidepressants, antianxiety medications, and analgesics.

The new study suggests that Lyrica may improve pain in people with the disorder and that these improvements may last at least six months.

Exactly how Lyrica works in fibromyalgia is not fully understood. Fibromyalgia may be caused by abnormalities in the central nervous system that affect how people process painful stimulation; Lyrica acts on the central nervous system.

Long-Term Pain Relief

The new study was conducted in two parts. The first part comprised 1,051 people with fibromyalgia who took 300, 450, or 600 milligrams of Lyrica daily for six weeks. Participants who showed a greater than 50% reduction in their pain and said that they felt "much" or "very much" better were moved into a six-month study in which they received a dummy pill (placebo) or an optimal dose of Lyrica.

"[Lyrica] demonstrated durability of pain relief in patients who responded and it was generally well-tolerated," says researcher Leslie J. Croffiord, MD, professor of rheumatology and women's health at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Side effects included dizzinessdizziness, sinusitissinusitis, joint pain, anxiety, and sleepiness.

Calling the new findings "interesting," Eric Ruderman, MD, an associate professor of medicine at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, tells WebMD that "based on this preliminary trial, a lot of people will be looking at this drug in fibromyalgia and the advantage of this agent is that it has a certain durability to it."

He adds that "this is the second study to show benefit in terms of pain and, in general, it was well-tolerated and provided pretty durable pain relief."

Though six months is not a lifetime, the ideal scenario for chronic disease like fibromyalgia is to find something you can remain on without cumulative side effects.

Lyrica is also FDA-approved for diabetic nerve pain and nerve pain following shinglesshingles. It is manufactured by Pfizer. Pfizer is a WebMD sponsor.

Take care and hope this helps,
    Blessed Be & Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie :)

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  3. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

I works for me too! I'm up to the 300 mg dose also. I was like you, at the end of my rope with the pain. I have RA and tried literally every drug there is for it and finally a doctor said, maybe it's fibro.

She yanked me off my latest injectable drug and put me on Lyrica and within the first week, I was asking for an increase. It was working. I had to go up again, but it takes care of that undefinable pain that I've had for the last five years.

I still have RA, just less toxic drugs, and Lyrica doesn't take care of all my pain. It helps a lot. I would like to talk to you about the shoulder blade pain.

Wakemeup-Side effects: Some people have bad side effects to just about every drug. Many people have side effects that they're not prepared for and they freak out at the first sign of anything out of the ordinary. They are not informed and do not give the drug enough time to work.

Lyrica is one of those drugs that you have to take carefully at first. It made me feel "high" for a week or two. Not unable to function, but my closest friends noticed a difference in me. The negative effects wore off quickly and the positives were great.

Abbycat
  4. IowaMorningGlory

Hey there and thank you for the post, good to meet you. :)

Do you have the shoulder blade pain?

Does the Lyrica get to it for you?

Mine is like a extreme tightness or like someone is standing on my back in that spot. It just never seems to relax anymore.

When they increased my Lyrica today, yeah then I got a little of that uphoria, but your right it didn't last long. I am sitting here with my shoulder blades killing me, my eyes keep going closed and I don't want to go to bed because I know I will start jumping. (Mirapex for the Myclonic Jerks hasn't seemed to be high enough yet.)

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  5. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Hi, I was one of those people who can't take Lyrica and I can't say it worked for me. I was started on a dose of 150 mg I'm thinking it was 2/day. When they didn't do anything for me she upped it to 300mg. My mouth was like a desert. I had to take a swig of water every third word or everything in my mouth stuck together and I was unable to talk. I am one that never really gets any adverse effects from a med but this is just the second time.

The other med I could not tolerate was oxycontin. I didn't get nausious from that one but I felt so sick I wanted to die. I am guessing it was like going thru withdrawal afer just a very short time. My sister had the same reaction when she took it after knee replacement surgery.

I hope it continues to work for you Laurie. Best of luck :)
  6. IowaMorningGlory

Just in case anyone is interested, ProHealth Newsletter has an article on Lyrica today.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie
  7. schaken

schaken New Member

Hi all,

I am one of those that just continue on. I work 34 to 37 hours a week keeping the elderly and disabled in their homes.
    (vacuum, sweep, clean bathrooms etc)

I used to be in horrible pain when I got home. Swallowed tylenol like it was going out of style.

Well my doseage is not as high as everyone else seems to take, it works for me. I take it 3 times a day 50 mg.

I am also able to walk almost a mile, or ride an exercise bicycle that long and use the ab lounge.

My pain doctor told me that even if it hurt just to do one a day to start. Hurt like H---!!

I was able to help my husband move tree branches from two large trees that we had to have cut down.

As you can tell, I am a very determined and stubborn. Have been in pain for so long. It is wonderful to be a 2 or 3 every day.

Leslie
  8. IowaMorningGlory

I am so glad it is working for you too.

I do have to say I am glad you are improving on the smaller dosage. I am up to the 300mg bid and it still doesn't get it all I am afraid, but I definitely know when I don't take it. Hence that is my best indicator that it works.

I can go up one more dosage I believe. I may never catch all the pain but it has given me a great start.

You take care and don't overdue,
    Nice to meet you. :)
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  9. schaken

schaken New Member

Hi Laurie,
    Glad to meet you to. I have been very busy with the holidays and work.

Trying to do my baking in a small convection/toaster oven. My stove broke down big time. I broke the middle of September. Sears just called us and finally told us, that the part we need is no longer available.

Lucky me.

Had to help my husband shovel our 1/4 acre driveway on Friday. We had 14 inches of snow. Can't believe that after 24 years of this disease I was able to do this.

Woke up on Saturday expecting to be in such pain that I couldn't move. But This lyrica works wonders. Just took my 3rd dose. Did that for 3 days.

I can't believe how wonderful this drug is. Of course I am riding a stationary bike for between 1/2 and 1 mile each day now.

It is great to feel like a human again.

Leslie
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Good to hear that it is working well for you. I got my doctor to prescribe this med, but I haven't gotten it filled yet (I am trying out Mirapex and Ultram ER for a week first so i can get a more accurate idea of the effects of each med). My doctor prescribed a gradually increasing dose of the med 3x a day. I'll let you know how it works for me when I start it.