Lyrica is too expensive

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsolider, Nov 2, 2005.

1. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I was just recently diagnosed with Fibro so, I am rather new at trying to live with it. Not going so well so far....the Dr. gave me Lyrica ( 50 mg. ) I am taking it but, it cost me $180 for a month's worth. I have a 7 month old baby and $300 a month presciption bill. Has anyone found something that works that is cheaper? My doctor won't give me anything else for pain besides tylenol 3 - which worked at first and then stopped.
  2. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Neurontin is a lot like Lyrica but is available generically. It should be affordable.

The best medicine I have found for FM is Cymbalta, but it is very expensive without insurance. It is available online from Pharmacy Geoff as a generic drug. I have ordered from them many times without any problem. The meds are sealed from the factory and are the real stuff. Look under "generics" to find Cymbalta and "neurological health" for Neurontin. But, you would probably find Neurontin cheaper at your local pharmacy.
  3. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Thanks for the advice. I do have insurance and the darn stuff is still so expensive....what is weird to me is that the Dr. didn't give me any refills. I have never ordered drugs online before maybe I should try.
  4. Jen128

Jen128 New Member

with Costco? For some reason, their precription drugs tend to be cheaper versus a pharmacy. Just a thought...
  5. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

A lot of people with ins. can't get them to pay for Lyrica yet... they are saying they want to check into it and make sure it's approved for that person's dx - as if they are the FDA! Grrr!

Yeah, it's costly, but it's been a life saver for me...

Have you tried amitriptyline ( generic Elavil)? That's a tri. AD. Helps me for shocks and burning, deep bone type pain.
  6. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

No this is the first I tried of anything. It has been about 3 weeks and the lyrica has done nothing yet. I hear all this great stuff and I am still waiting for it.
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I take 80 mgs a day - 240 pills a month - and it costs about $32.00. I take 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 4 at night.

There is no "high" from taking the tablets, so docs are more willing to let patients try it.

abbylee
  8. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I have Cigna and the Lyrica is still $50 for 30 day and Provigil also. I dont think the Provigile is helping so I may stop that. Just tooo expensive.
  9. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Personally, I think they came out with Lyrica by tweaking Neurontin and marketing Lyrica as a Fibro drug. Since Neurontin is now available generic, they needed to come up with something "new" to make more money.

I know I sound very smug, but I've seen other drugs renamed and brought out after the original patent was lost.

Another thing to save $$ is to see if you have a mail order prescription plan. I can get 3 mos of meds for the price of 2 mos of copays.