Lyrica It's actually working

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Dec 17, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I have tried every med and alternative therapy in the book, but Lyrica is actually HELPING me. I am shocked. I just started it two days ago, on the lowest dose of 25mg 3x a day, and my pain is signifigantly decreased. I used to take 2 Ultracet and 2 Hydrocodone 3x a day to manage the pain. The past two days I have not taken ANY Hydrocodone to help manage my pain, and I'm still up and around! It's very surprising to me. I've never had a medicine be so effective that it cancelled out the need for other meds.

I haven't had any side effects from Lyrica as yet, but of course I read over them all carefully and I will be watching out for them. My doctor has recommended adding in an extra 25mg each week for the next month.

So I know there is a great divide among people who have had bad experiences with this med, and people who have had great experiences. I just wanted to add my 2 cents of info in.

2. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Keep us posted. I was given Topamax for both migrain and FMS but had to stop after 10 days because I was a zombie. Now they have given me Lyrica but I am afraid of the possible fatigue and weight gain. I was told to start with 50 mg per day for a week and then increase it to 100 mg per day. I don't want to gain any more weight but I the migraines and fibro are also killing me.

Please post again and let us know. I haven't started yet will try and start over Christmas vacation.

Lourdes
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Babi - I also tried a sample of Topamax and had the same reaction you did. It made me way too foggy and out of it. And I don't think it helped my headaches either.

I was concerned mostly about the possible weight gain too. Since I'm young, I really don't want to gain weight. So that's something I'll be watching carefully, and I'll let you know if it becomes a problem. I also have started Mirapex, which lists as a possible side effect 'weight loss'. So I'm kind of hoping they will equal each other out, and I will remain at my current weight.
  4. roz1950

roz1950 New Member

How much weight have you gaine don Lyrica ? Heard it was a bad weight gainer like Neurontin.
  5. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

I take 0.5 MG of mirapex at bedtime. On really bad nights I can double it.3 x daily I take Lyrica 75mg. 4mg zanaflex 3x daily.50mg tramadol 3x daily.But the best is Aderall for energy. WOW do I sound like a drug addict or what??!! Actually I rarely take anything but the Lyrica. I have gained weight :(.
    I have fibro,cfs, restless leg and degenerative disc disease. Much pain constantly. Poor sleep. So the weight gain (30 pounds) is also from lack of activity. The pain outrules the possible weight gain sadly to say.
    I wish you much luck managing this awful disease. God bless. Mary
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Roz - No weight gain. I'm hoping I miss out on that side effect since I don't have a weight problem and am very strict about my diet. But I will let you know if I do start gaining. Like I said to the other person, a side effect of Mirapex is weight LOSS, so I am experimenting to see if taking the two of these meds together will cancel out any weight gain or loss.

SpringLakeOrphan - haha should I give you my whole list of meds too? I'm on a first name basis with the whole pharmacy staff. Soma, Klonopin, Xanax, Ultram ER, Mirapex, & Ambien at night. Ultracet, Hyrdrocodone and Lyrica during the day. I am hoping to increase my dosage of Mirapex once my financial aid through the pharmaceutical company comes through, so I can also take that during the day, since I've heard good things about splitting a dose in the morning and evening.
  7. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

What is the Mirapex for?

I will start at a very low dose of the Lyrica but I just finished losing 16 pounds I gained on an allergy medicine so I really don't want to gain it back... I still have to far to go to reach a healthy weight.

Thanks again and keep us posted...
  8. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Babi - After reading the latest study results on Mirapex for pain relief, energy and management of Restless Legs, I decided to try it.

Right now I'm just on a low dose of 2 .125mg tablets at night to help my legs. I take it along with the muscle relaxer Soma, and I would say it's cut the time I take to go to sleep in half. I still have leg pain of course, but with the meds it is managed enough to go to sleep.

Several people are also taking it in the morning, and have said they have improved energy and mental clarity so I'm hoping to increase my dosage soon to include that.
  9. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I love my lyrica...hahaha. I'm currently taking 300mg a day and my doctor wanted me to back off, but I tried and ended up in severe pain, so at least I know that the lyrica is doing its job.

I haven't had hardly any trouble at all from side effects except for dizziness and maybe dry mouth if that's associated with it, but I'm on other meds that cause that too. No weight gain, in fact, I've lost weight, so whoo.
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

butterfly:

I am so glad you found that Lyrica is helping you so much.
    I believe it is kind of like Neurontin, which I had a bad reaction to. If not for that I would probably try Lyrica.

Stay well and I hope the Lyrica continues to make you better.

nyrofan
  11. bookwormmom

bookwormmom New Member

I'm glad you guys are getting great results from lyrica. It put me down. The doctor started me on 75mg twice a day. I was higher than a kite. The next day was worse. I had double vision, and could not control my right eye. When my brother looked at me, he asked my right away if there was something wrong with my right eye. It keep drifting toward my nose.
    But I had no pain for a day and a half.
  12. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Nyro - You might want to discuss the differences of Neurontin and Lyrica with your doctor. From what I've heard, Lyrica has been sort of improved I guess you could say, over Neurontin, so you might not have a bad reaction, especially if you started at the lowest dose. And just from my experience, I know they are different because Neurontin did absolutely nothing for me.

Bookworm - You might have a better experience if your doctor allowed you to work up your dosage from the bottom. 75mg twice a day is a very large dose to start with. My doctor said I should start with the very lowest dose of 25mg 3x a day, for a week, and see how I do. Then if I'm okay, add in an extra 25 mg per day for each of the next three weeks. I would think that starting this medication slowly and carefully would have better results then just shocking your system with a very high dose. Since you said it did help with your pain, it might be worth another try with a different method.

Hope that helps, and thanks everyone for your well wishes.

And just to let you know I'm on day 4 now and haven't gained an ounce. So I wouldn't let that hold you back if that is the only thing stopping you.
  13. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Thanks for all the info. I see from your profiles that you are both very young and were dx around the same age I was. I am now 35. I will start it this weekend when I go home for Christmas. Hopefully Lyrica will work for me like it has for you.

Nerdieduckie, I like your profile and your outlook. Despite my pain and health problems I went to grad school and now work as a reporter in DC covering Capitol Hill-- my dream come true! I know your dreams will come true as well.

Best,
    Lourdes